FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter

2363 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
Something tells me the record label of Django Reinhardt has recently got a stick up a certain spot where a noticeable absence of sunlight is recalled.

It's a choice.
lostinmafia_heavenMS

230 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Honestly I think they did a good job all in all, I have hope for a potential IV now, which I think will happen.

To me the criticism on OG Mafia is actually what I love about it, the clunky gameplay mechanics, the dry dialogue, the open world and what have you, and the lack of dialogue between drive's etc. To me it makes the game unigue. Kinda like when Mafia 2 feels off at times, which might in hindsight has been done on purpose. Although all this might not be intented, it is this that will make these games live on.

They seem to be on the right path H13, 9 times of out 10 I'll play the OG, doesn't mean that DE should be neglected by anyone, it's just what I grew up on. Mafia is home.

Mafia doesn't blow you away, it's an acquired taste, like the finest wine, and when it hooks you, it's for life. Mafia proves that games can be art. Art takes time and time is money. All the good die young, maybe it's high time Mafia got stuffed with cement shoes and be gone, maybe the perfect parting gift for this kind of game, not really meant for the world, it just mirrored itself in some of life's biggest dramas, and put on the fedora and played the part, we could go on you and me old friend, you make me happy and sad, we could go on. Not drunk just bittersweet moment that the final light was cast on Mafia, with the DE.

But what a sight it was, and bright and 3-2-1 fight Whistling
MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

1056 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
@Linukkis,
In my case, the disappointing aspects were simply because this game is marketed as the Definitve Edition of the original Mafia. For that, I simply expected them to stick more to the source material. If this were a different game entirely, I would've enjoyed it more. So yes, perhaps you could say nostalgia has clouded my opinion.

This was my problem with Mafia 2. By itself it is a fine game, but as something that was supposed to carry forward the original, it failed miserably. The only connective content was that we got to kill Tommy WTF?!?

I wanted to play DE but I am not in a place right now where I can justify the expense on a "maybe" and your post makes me feel better about that decision
smellincoffee

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

I've been playing and replaying Mafia ever since its release, and finished playing DE tonight. On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised by its quality given how quickly it was shipped once announced; I love seeing the familar sights of Lost Heaven brought up to date, graphically, and the world of Mafia given the kind of atmospherics and detail of modern games that we see in RDR2 . Although I missed the original voice actors, I got accustomed to most of the people, with the exception of Paulie and Sam who tended to blend together for me. I loved Sarah's expanded charactization; she comes off as brighter and saucier than her original interpretation. I noticed that some alterations were with the story, generally to good effect -- Sam asking Tommy to spare the whore as a personal favor, Salieri telling the boys about the diamonds in the cigars (but lying about it), though I missed Lucas' line of missions. The difficulty of various missions appears to have been tweaked: missions that are usually 'hard', like A Great Deal and The Death of Art, were surprisingly easy.....while the final sets of 'You Lucky Bastard!' and 'Election Campaign' were far more difficult than expected. Graphically the game is absolutely gorgeous, especially at night or when it's raining, and despite the loss of some familiar music, I enjoyed the soundtrack -- although I could have done with less ads, realism or no realism. I can definitely see re-playing this game over the years, though I think I'll still go to the original Mafia for screwing-around pleasure: I can't trigger gangster and cop chases in Mafia DE's freeride. Wink

I'd reccommend it if you're on the fence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: