FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dujk

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

The story refuse to taking role of any traditional mafia family character,instead setting up a story about taking revenge from mafia family, gathering own gang controlling turfs and sharing with three underbosses.
Isn't actually standing as anti-mafia while showing off with gangster style?
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

Sure it was a pastiche of old mobster films, but the Mafia series has always been anti-mafia, in an ironic way that is. The first game had Tommy Angelo testify against the mob following his disillusionment from the lifestyle he was forced into after a series of unfortunate events, while the second saw Vito rise and eventually fall from grace.
samkilledpaulie

3 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

I hate mafia 2 and 3 .
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

From the many flaws of Mafia 3, I don't think the story is a bad idea. I mean, what more can Mafia show us about the Italian side that we haven't seen already? I'm rather glad they went into a different direction for variety sake. As far as I know it seems about the only thing that H13 has nailed. Though I've yet to find out for myself of course.

Remember, although the name "Mafia" refers to the Italian side, it's also the collective name for any crime organization in the world (with exception of some branches of course), and there are a lot of them.

www.Robville.net
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
From the many flaws of Mafia 3, I don't think the story is a bad idea. I mean, what more can Mafia show us about the Italian side that we haven't seen already? I'm rather glad they went into a different direction for variety sake. As far as I know it seems about the only thing that H13 has nailed. Though I've yet to find out for myself of course.

Remember, although the name "Mafia" refers to the Italian side, it's also the collective name for any crime organization in the world (with exception of some branches of course), and there are a lot of them.

Yeah, it can refer to any organised crime group with similar principles or ideologies, regardless of ethnicity.

And while it can be gritty and understandably demeaning, the addition of racial slurs and discrimination was done to make a point imo, especially these days where coloured people are still picked on for no good reason. Coincidentally, the upcoming direct-to-video historical film by American Girl has a black protagonist, and more or less the same premise of racism.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276214 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

samkilledpaulie wrote:
I hate mafia 2 and 3 .

The topic title is as it says; this is not asking
if you like the game.

Can I please remind you to read our rules on posting in the forums.
Quote:
please try and keep within topic. Use more than just
a couple of words e.g. "nice mod" or "when's it being released?"

Mr Robville wrote:

Mr R. actually the word Mafia historically only applies
to the Sicilian organized crime and it's families in the USA.
No other organized crime element can call itself Mafia. And
even then other elements like Camorra, 'Ndrangheta and
Sacra Corona Unita are Italian based. Now other organized
crime units/families may be similar to Mafia, but not truly
as in its origins.

Dujk

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:

Yeah, it can refer to any organised crime group with similar principles or ideologies, regardless of ethnicity.

I don't think it refers any organised crime group regardless of ethnicity, like Muggy said actually only Italian originated organised crime families call itself mafia. For that period other local crime organisations it changes like American gangster,Irish mob, Japanese Yakuza or Jamaican Posse etc.
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

Dujk wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:

I don't think it refers any organised crime group regardless of ethnicity, like Muggy said actually only Italian originated organised crime families call itself mafia. For that period other local crime organisations it changes like American gangster,Irish mob, Japanese Yakuza or Jamaican Posse etc.

Yeah, though some refer to them as a Mafia-type gang based on MO, hence the nicknames Japanese Mafia, Mexican Mafia, etc.
Mr Robville

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

That's what I said. Mafia is the name for organized crime from Italian origin, but aside of that name, we also use the term mafia for any organized crime group. Like how we refer to the Yakuza as the Japanese Mafia or whatever is in Russia as the Russian mafia.
Again, it's not accurate, but people just happen to call it that way and seem to use the term mafia broadly as a type of crime group rather than an actual name.

www.Robville.net
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276214 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
That's what I said. Mafia is the name for organized crime from Italian origin, but aside of that name, we also use the term mafia for any organized crime group. Like how we refer to the Yakuza as the Japanese Mafia or whatever is in Russia as the Russian mafia.
Again, it's not accurate, but people just happen to call it that way and seem to use the term mafia broadly as a type of crime group rather than an actual name.

Quote:
Origins of the Mafia
The Mafia, a network of organized-crime groups based in Italy and America, evolved over centuries in Sicily, an island ruled until the mid-19th century by a long line of foreign invaders. Sicilians banded together in groups to protect themselves and carry out their own justice. In Sicily, the term “mafioso,” or Mafia member, initially had no criminal connotations and was used to refer to a person who was suspicious of central authority. By the 19th century, some of these groups emerged as private armies, or “mafie,” who extorted protection money from landowners and eventually became the violent criminal organization known today as the Sicilian Mafia. The American Mafia, which rose to power in the 1920s, is a separate entity from the Mafia in Italy, although they share such traditions as omerta, a code of conduct and loyalty.

They may well use the word Mafia for generalizing organized crime elements
but they are carbon copies and not the original.

huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Mafia 3 anti-mafia? Reply with quote

Muggy wrote:
They may well use the word Mafia for generalizing organized crime elements but they are carbon copies and not the original.

Not exactly a carbon copy, as organised crime groups like the Yakuza have been around for so long. It's that they're structured similarly to the Mafia that they're referred to by their similarities to their Sicilian counterparts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: