FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Cinematic Mafia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
I checked out one of your videos regarding retexturing, and I do like the general appearance; I still think the textures are one of MAFIA's weakest areas...there is so little interesting detail, and so much copying and pasting. It is the game showing its age, the developers showing their limits.

Anyway, point of my comment is, I see you've got the curséd road filtering thing going on. I asked all the mod people numerous times how to get the road lines in AF because they look horrible and incongrous with the draw distance. What I can say is I loaded Mugshot's "optimized Mafia" and something he did fixed it (I think that was it?? Or maybe some weird planetary alignment of graphics settings; I haven't established the why). I have other thoughts about that particular modification which I will share later, but, um, those roads man. *squint*

Or is that deliberate? It can't be.

Yeah, the textures are mostly quite low resolution/quality by today's standards. There aren't that many texture mods available though, as you can see, the only ones I'm using are new roads, trees and buildings. I would have also added the (very pretty) water shader mod, but I couldn't get it working properly with Optimized Mafia. But that ReShade preset with it's sharpening effect is what really does the overall look of the game a big favor IMO.

Do you mean the fact that the road is blurry just a few metres ahead of the car by that "road filtering thing?" If yes, then sure it doesn't look too appealing but as far as I can remember, it has also been that way since the game was released. If anybody knows how to "fix" it though it would be great Smile
Hunter

1553 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Welcome2Stonia wrote:
Yeah, the textures are mostly quite low resolution/quality by today's standards. There aren't that many texture mods available though, as you can see, the only ones I'm using are new roads, trees and buildings. I would have also added the (very pretty) water shader mod, but I couldn't get it working properly with Optimized Mafia. But that ReShade preset with it's sharpening effect is what really does the overall look of the game a big favor IMO.

Do you mean the fact that the road is blurry just a few metres ahead of the car by that "road filtering thing?" If yes, then sure it doesn't look too appealing but as far as I can remember, it has also been that way since the game was released. If anybody knows how to "fix" it though it would be great Smile

Well, partly. They just didn't put much time into signage, advertisements (which they obsessively censored even for out of business companies...must have been quite a legal department Sarcastic ) and NPC objects. Just a lot of generic apartment buildings, generic shops, "Oriental Beer" (blah blah blah for 50 years), 50 Hotel Blacks, Pepe's Restaurant (whose sign may have originated in Paint Laughing ) and "Ironmongers" if that's supposed to mean something.

But they could make textures nice if they cared to. The best example of this is the art gallery. At least they used real art Sarcastic

Yes, I was talking about the road line blurring. That problem plagued me for years, and...I don't have that problem ATM. It's most intense with the streetcar rails.

For example
http://mafiascene.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-6104
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Welcome2Stonia wrote:

Well, partly. They just didn't put much time into signage, advertisements (which they obsessively censored even for out of business companies...must have been quite a legal department Sarcastic ) and NPC objects. Just a lot of generic apartment buildings, generic shops, "Oriental Beer" (blah blah blah for 50 years), 50 Hotel Blacks, Pepe's Restaurant (whose sign may have originated in Paint Laughing ) and "Ironmongers" if that's supposed to mean something.

But they could make textures nice if they cared to. The best example of this is the art gallery. At least they used real art Sarcastic

Yes, I was talking about the road line blurring. That problem plagued me for years, and...I don't have that problem ATM. It's most intense with the streetcar rails.

For example
http://mafiascene.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-6104

True, but we should keep in mind what the average PC was like back in 2002. I mean, I remember the first time I played Mafia was with a Nvidia 7600GT 256MB GPU... and it ran well Wink

Edit: wait, come to think about it, the first time I played Mafia it had to be on an even older PC. I don't really remember much about it, but I reckon the graphics card model may have been a GeForce 4 128 MB or something...

The screenshot does look good though, if you ever find out what exactly "caused" this fix please do let me know Smile
Hunter

1553 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

All right, I spent a few minutes on it and have the answer. It's me being stupid Sarcastic

It has nothing to do with "optimized Mafia" or any mod. It's AF as I pointed out and then disregarded. Apparently MAFIA doesn't have any AF implmentation. Now I swear I told my old Radeon 9700/9800 PROs to use AF, but either I was doing it wrong or the setting just plain didn't work (which being graphics drivers, you never know, a patch fixes one thing and breaks others).

Now I am using an nVidia GTX 460. I have nothing particularly to say for it, other than that it works and is fast enough for anything but extreme graphics duty. It lacks certain CGA colour modes that some very old games I play require, namely, in NTVDM if you know what that is, although DOSBox includes that information natively as a workaround.

The relevant setting is simply anisotropic filtering. Application controlled = none because AFAIK MAFIA hasn't got any, which is a shame considering what a massive difference it makes. This card goes up to 16x. I took two screenshots, one without, one with. Look not only at the rails and street markings, but the windows on the red building, and the little white building to its right.

Point being, there is a huge difference not only in street markings, but effective draw distance as textures are not marginalized prematurely closely to the actor, and it's most noticeable with those god damn streets you are always looking at.

So yeah. If it's nVidia, that's all it takes to massively improve your video. If ATI/AMD, not sure, but the relevant setting is forcing AF on games, or with a game profile, on MAFIA. Random tidbit, I have MAFIA's 4x AA turned off, and nVidia's 32x (along with all their various fancy diffusion tricks, funny how AA is the opposite of AF) forced on it. Figure it actually harms image quality and performance to have it on.

Now for the comparison.

http://mafiascene.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-6106

Just click on those arrows on the upper right back and forth to see if you don't wish to download the images and compare more closely. Hey, I'm proud of myself; I did something right, accidentally.

And I totally understand about performance...even though the game should have shipped with AF. Even older games have AF. I first played with a GeForce 2 Ti Laughing I miss that card Cautious
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Hunter! My game has reached a whole new level thanks to you Very happy

Hunter

1553 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Wow, very nice. I'm sure the next videos will benefit from it.
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

The next episode is finally live: Cinematic Mafia E11: "Visiting Rich People"

As this was another mission in dark settings, I decided to go with the Natural version of the ReShade preset I'm using. I think it fits in nicely with the mission while not making it significantly darker (like the Cinematic version does). However, in most situations I personally like the Cinematic version still more, so you can expect for it to return in most of the videos.
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Episode 12: "Great Deal!" is now up Smile
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Another episode is now completed and online: Cinematic Mafia E13: "Bon Appétit!"
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Another quick update as the 14th episode is now available - E14: Happy Birthday
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

It's been a while, but the next (infamous) mission is finally ready... check it out: Cinematic Mafia E15: "You Lucky Bastard!"
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Sup guys, it's been busy times but I haven't forgotten this little project... to prove it, here's the next episode: Cinematic Mafia E16: "Crème De La Crème"
haista__

20 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

Very cool.

The line "That silver limousine! Catch him!" didn't play for some reason at 3:37, why is that? It's one of my favourite lines aswell.
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

haista__ wrote:
The line "That silver limousine! Catch him!" didn't play for some reason at 3:37, why is that? It's one of my favourite lines aswell.

You're right... I'm not sure why though. Maybe somekind of a bug or something got messed up with whatever is triggering the lines to play
Evantek

11 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Cinematic Mafia Reply with quote

This looks really sharp, and good thanks for uploading. Where did you get those textures? Very happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: