FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

.ASI plugins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

Sure enough, most of you guys prefer to write stuff for the game through the LS3D scripting language, but has anyone ever tried doing .ASI plugins in much the same way as what GTA modders to extend on the game engine?

I've been wondering as there are some things in M1 that may not be possible with the scripting language alone, e.g. Xinput support, HUD editing and the like.
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

Sure, there're a few plugins for Mafia. Things that come to mind are Mr. F's water shader mod, MafiaCon, FsRedirect (which also supports a bit of HUD manipulation), a limits adjuster I once wrote for GOLOD's CityBars v2 mod and zibob32's CHE which features in-game check.bin visualization.
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Sure, there're a few plugins for Mafia. Things that come to mind are Mr. F's water shader mod, MafiaCon, FsRedirect (which also supports a bit of HUD manipulation), a limits adjuster I once wrote for GOLOD's CityBars v2 mod and zibob32's CHE which features in-game check.bin visualization.

Yeah, I've tried those, though some of them hook through d3d8 rather than as a GTA-style .ASI.
ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

Hm ok but then there's nothing special about ASI from the technical point of view. They're plain DLLs. From what I remember ASI was/is part of an extension mechanism provided by the Miles Sound System middleware in order to allow loading additional filters and codecs in a plugin-style fashion. The middleware simply scans the game's directory for *.ASI files and loads everything it can find. Modders later exploited that behaviour in order to load arbitrary DLLs into the game process. In the end it's the same as providing a custom d3d8.dll, dinput8.dll or whatever.

Mafia doesn't use MSS, but you could implement that behaviour yourself if you wanted to, for example by writing a custom dinput8.dll. This is also what the GTA community does since San Andreas.
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Hm ok but then there's nothing special about ASI from the technical point of view. They're plain DLLs. From what I remember ASI was/is part of an extension mechanism provided by the Miles Sound System middleware in order to allow loading additional filters and codecs in a plugin-style fashion. The middleware simply scans the game's directory for *.ASI files and loads everything it can find. Modders later exploited that behaviour in order to load arbitrary DLLs into the game process. In the end it's the same as providing a custom d3d8.dll, dinput8.dll or whatever.

Mafia doesn't use MSS, but you could implement that behaviour yourself if you wanted to, for example by writing a custom dinput8.dll. This is also what the GTA community does since San Andreas.

I guess it was customary for mod authors to use the .asi extension even after Rockstar dropped support for MSS in San Andreas lol. In the case of SA they used the Vorbis library to hook into the game process, and yes a custom dinput8 dll was used by OpenIV for GTA V too, exploiting the game's ability to use DirectInput controllers.
arbitrarymobster

73 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: .ASI plugins? Reply with quote

Behar's "Mafia Widescreen Fix" comes with an asi loader. I use it and changed FsRedirect's .dll to a .asi so I can use them both. I run Mafia in 5760 x 1080 and behar's mod is excellent for this: It centralizes the HUD and the map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: