FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like Windows 10?
Yes
16%
 16%  [1]
No
16%
 16%  [1]
Not gonna upgrade
16%
 16%  [1]
I'll have chips with mine
0%
 0%  [0]
Not sure
50%
 50%  [3]
Total Votes : 6

Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276198 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1) Reply with quote

Has anyone got their upgrade yet?
Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet?
Are you hanging on til a Service Pack is available ?

Have you upgraded with no problems and still
able to run the programs and games you had
installed previously on either Win 7 or Win 8
both 32bit and 64bit?

The reason I have started this topic is I have
downloaded the MediaCreation kit to win 10 tool
64bit with which I can upgrade my computer
to win 10 - However I have loads of games
installed and well no installation media and I
cannot be bothered to get hold of them again.

Can I upgrade and still keep my programs and
games (of course assuming they are compatible)
or will run with compatibility mode.

Currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
on iMac 27" with Boot Camp.

Please also use this thread to discuss any problems
you have with the new o/s or what you like about it.

Last edited by Muggy on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255734 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1) Reply with quote

I believe you can install Windows 10 while keeping your data (everything except the My Documents folder since it's a Windows directory). Of course backing up personal stuff just in case is a must and if you own multiple harddrives I would recommend detaching everything other than the C drive just for good measure.

The upgrade is a bit weird in regards to licenses because you don't get a license key. Basically your motherboard is the license key and when you upgrade your current OS it will be automatically activated. Afterwards you can always do a clean reďnstall with the creation tool.
But if you format your C drive first, and then install Win10 without having it upgraded first you'll be prompted for a license key which you don't have since your motherboard isn't registered. That only happens by upgrading.

So in a nutshell, yes you can keep your personal data. The installer gives you the option to keep everything. Still, always backup. After all, it's Microsoft.
Personally I prefer doing a clean reinstall just to make sure that no crap is left, but I guess an upgrade should work as well. Though I believe I did read some reports of people who had the OS running slower when upgrading opposed to a clean install but this could be caused by 3rd party software that remains after the upgrade.

I personally like Windows 10. For once I really feel Microsoft had people with brains making decisions on user interface. It's fast, easy to work with and it looks really clean but not too over the top.

The desktop icon spacing on the other hand is **** ridiculous. When you size the icons to normal PC size there is a spacing of exactly 1 row of icons. You can clearly tell this is made for the tablet people who are using large icons, because then it matches perfectly. You can fix this within the Windows registry.

So far no issues with privacy stuff. You can disable pretty much all social & sharing functions (which is what I did) that Win10 provides. Perhaps Microsoft waits until everyone has Win10 to start infiltrating everyone's privacy, but I guess that at that time some Russian programmers already made a fix to shut contact with their servers down.
During the installation I would therefore NOT recommend using the express settings, but choose the advanced one instead to disable most features if you worship your privacy.

www.Robville.net
huckleberrypie

279 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1 Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
I believe you can install Windows 10 while keeping your data (everything except the My Documents folder since it's a Windows directory). Of course backing up personal stuff just in case is a must and if you own multiple harddrives I would recommend detaching everything other than the C drive just for good measure.

The upgrade is a bit weird in regards to licenses because you don't get a license key. Basically your motherboard is the license key and when you upgrade your current OS it will be automatically activated. Afterwards you can always do a clean reďnstall with the creation tool.
But if you format your C drive first, and then install Win10 without having it upgraded first you'll be prompted for a license key which you don't have since your motherboard isn't registered. That only happens by upgrading.

So in a nutshell, yes you can keep your personal data. The installer gives you the option to keep everything. Still, always backup. After all, it's Microsoft.
Personally I prefer doing a clean reinstall just to make sure that no crap is left, but I guess an upgrade should work as well. Though I believe I did read some reports of people who had the OS running slower when upgrading opposed to a clean install but this could be caused by 3rd party software that remains after the upgrade.

I personally like Windows 10. For once I really feel Microsoft had people with brains making decisions on user interface. It's fast, easy to work with and it looks really clean but not too over the top.

The desktop icon spacing on the other hand is **** ridiculous. When you size the icons to normal PC size there is a spacing of exactly 1 row of icons. You can clearly tell this is made for the tablet people who are using large icons, because then it matches perfectly. You can fix this within the Windows registry.

So far no issues with privacy stuff. You can disable pretty much all social & sharing functions (which is what I did) that Win10 provides. Perhaps Microsoft waits until everyone has Win10 to start infiltrating everyone's privacy, but I guess that at that time some Russian programmers already made a fix to shut contact with their servers down.
During the installation I would therefore NOT recommend using the express settings, but choose the advanced one instead to disable most features if you worship your privacy.

The licence key is embedded in the BIOS firmware afaik, but that's fixed for whatever OS version your PC came with. From what i know attempting to clean-install W10 with said key won't work, but it is possible to do a clean install just as long as you have a W10 licence in your Live account.
Mr Robville

255734 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1) Reply with quote

You don't get a license key at all unless you bought the software in a retail store. When you upgrade your existing version, the license gets upgraded and hidden within the BIOS/Motherboard. If one wants to do a clean reďnstall of Win10 afterwards they don't have a key to enter during installation, which is also not needed because Win10 is already activated on the motherboard (computer) so during a clean reďnstall the license check can be skipped. Again, only if you've upgraded before.

A Windows Live account is not required.

This does mean that if you ever plan to change your motherboard in the future, you'll no longer have a legitimate Windows10 installation since it's bound to this chip.

www.Robville.net
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276198 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1) Reply with quote

OK so far I have upgraded my PC to Windows 10
Home 64bit and my desktop looks rather as it was
on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. No games were
removed and run just as they did on Win 7. My Documents
is now part of File Explorer under the folder "Documents" and
they are all there.

Now (praying Praying ) starting the process to upgrade Windows
on Boot Camp (iMac 27")

Will keep you posted.

[Edit] upgrade went without a hitch.
Everything is still there, all my games
even the savegame files in Documents.

I did disconnect both external hard drives
just to be on the safe side although I am
sure they would not have been affected.
But both reconnected and all my movies
are intact.

It's gonna be something to get used to the
new o/s but then I said that about Windows
7; having been so hooked on XP Crying

wish I knew how to change the taskbar
color to how it was on Win 7

huckleberrypie

279 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Free Upgrade (Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 SP1 Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
You don't get a license key at all unless you bought the software in a retail store. When you upgrade your existing version, the license gets upgraded and hidden within the BIOS/Motherboard. If one wants to do a clean reďnstall of Win10 afterwards they don't have a key to enter during installation, which is also not needed because Win10 is already activated on the motherboard (computer) so during a clean reďnstall the license check can be skipped. Again, only if you've upgraded before.

A Windows Live account is not required.

This does mean that if you ever plan to change your motherboard in the future, you'll no longer have a legitimate Windows10 installation since it's bound to this chip.

Ahh, from what I heard an Insider update made it a bit more painless to use an existing licence. Haven't tried it myself though, but I might give it a go on my mum's Samsung laptop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: