FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
huckleberrypie

Member
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2014
Posts: 126

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
I know that lyric. Thinking
Please don't tell me we once were MSN contacts around the time M2 got released.

Because I used to have someone in my contacts (with a different name than yours, don't remember anymore) Who had a flaming hate towards Mafia 2 and also made a whole campaign about it also named "Mafia 2's a horrid mess". So much that the @sshole found it necessary to name every character who dies in the game in his MSN title while knowing I hadn't played the game yet.
The game I was waiting for to play for years got spoiled in an instant because some douchebag could not contain his temper. I obviously immediately blocked and removed him from my contacts list and never spoke to him since. I'll never forgive that guy for what he did.

Not accusing you or anything. Just a memory that suddenly popped up reading that title.
It's not going to happen this time anyway since I now have a pretty powerful computer. As soon as the game comes out, there won't be any daylight for me until I'm finished. So to speak. Sticking out tongue

Anyway, yeah I would say the song fits the PR practices that didn't benefit the game. Although there's something that worries me and that is that M3 will be dumbed down on PC in order to cope with the consoles. Kinda like Watch Dogs.

When Mafia 2 got released. The PC version was superior and you could clearly tell it was a PC game that got ported to consoles instead of the other way around as it's common today. Obviously the hardware of consoles is pretty outdated compared to the average PC hardware from the same date, so there had to be a lot of stuff cut from the game to make it work on the consoles. No grass only seems logical. I mean, does GTA V on PS3 has grass? Nope. It does have on PC.

However, despite the logical cutdown of the game, countless of console players went apeshit because of it. You know what message this sends to 2K? That next time they should level the graphical quality between all platforms meaning that the PC version will be dumbed down. I don't like that idea. At all.


Well, didn't mean to be an arse at the time, but maybe I went a bit overboard when you guys criticised M2 for not living up to our standards. Again sorry if this may have caused some discord between us at that time.

As for the game itself. it's besides the fact that it was way more optimised on the PC, yet they were unable to bring the same level of polish without taking out a cosmetic yet standout feature. Maybe the Cell's complicated architecture had something to do with the foul-up (hence why the Xbox One and PS4 are x86-64), but I've seen games on similarly-oddball architectures like the PS2 that looked better than what you can expect on a typical sixth-gen title, like Transformers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC0_ylWrOB8

2K did water down graphics on some of their PC ports before, like when NBA2K14 for Windows was based on the last-gen versions, and obviously this didn't bode well with the fanbase. Same case when Disney chose to base their PC ports of Cars 2 on the Wii build, mostly as they are expected to run on a potato, not some gaming rig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 517
Location: Dutchland
255681 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Wait, you are that person who spoiled the game for me back then? Thanks.
At least I'm glad to see that you've been a positive contribution to the community since. But I want you to know that if a similar tantrum occurs with M3 even if it's a bugridden IKEA library of DLC, it will be a one way ticket out of here. The same goes for anyone else. Because deliberately spoiling games for others -especially when being aware of how much of a fan they are- still sits pretty sensitive with me since these actions are irreversable. It still makes my blood boil to be honest with you.
_________________


www.Robville.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
huckleberrypie

Member
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2014
Posts: 126

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
Wait, you are that person who spoiled the game for me back then? Thanks.
At least I'm glad to see that you've been a positive contribution to the community since. But I want you to know that if a similar tantrum occurs with M3 even if it's a bugridden IKEA library of DLC, it will be a one way ticket out of here. The same goes for anyone else. Because deliberately spoiling games for others -especially when being aware of how much of a fan they are- still sits pretty sensitive with me since these actions are irreversable. It still makes my blood boil to be honest with you.

I understand dude, again I didn't mean to cause any sort of discord with you or everyone else either. Maybe I should've shown at least some restraint back then considering how new the game was at the time.

I could poke fun at what backlash or criticism the next game might face, but this time I'd rather ask you first than risk embarrassment. Look, I'd rather not have a long-standing grudge as I tend to go on a guilt trip once I unintentionally hurt someone's feelings, and my friends can attest to that. I didn't ask for your apology more than once for nothing, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sliderv2

Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 73

701 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I don't much care about physics/graphics, Mafia 3 physics can't be worse than Watch Dogs physics.
I just want a game with good story, characters from previous games (Vito is here, so what about Eddie or Ralph from first game?). Sticking out tongue
I like return of melee weapons.
Late 60s is also good, I like this era.
...and developers don't need to downgrade Mafia 3 on PC due the consoles, because PS4 is close to PC, for example GTA V on PS4 looks exacly same and has same features as PC version, only draw distance and shadows are worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mflh

New Member
New Member


Joined: 12 Mar 2014
Posts: 8

23 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

To be honest, I was happy and disappointed. Happy because it isn't set in the 70s ! Also I noticed there's a 50s or late 50s vehicle ! Glad to hear it's set in New Orleans as well ! Disappointed because of the gameplay footage.

However, I'm once again happy and look forward to this game after reading this preview

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/334103/Mafia+III/?sid=0d2dde5af4ee5b46285b2e0a0a5797a0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostinmafia_heavenMS

Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 71

116 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

It's funny how my feelings towards M2 has changed after seeing the M3 trailer and gameplay footage. It truly is a special game and maybe the last of it's kind, even though some things in the game could have been executed better.

Seems like our hopes of a truly cinematic video game experience, sort of ended with M2, but it does NOT mean that M3 can't be a cool and different experience. There are obviously some things they need to change, but I can see the potential with the location/story.

I'm lowering my expectations and preparing myself for a GTA clone of sorts. If they nail the story I will be content with that, and respect they tried something else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mflh

New Member
New Member


Joined: 12 Mar 2014
Posts: 8

23 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

lostinmafia_heavenMS wrote:
It's funny how my feelings towards M2 has changed after seeing the M3 trailer and gameplay footage. It truly is a special game and maybe the last of it's kind, even though some things in the game could have been executed better.

Seems like our hopes of a truly cinematic video game experience, sort of ended with M2, but it does NOT mean that M3 can't be a cool and different experience. There are obviously some things they need to change, but I can see the potential with the location/story.

I'm lowering my expectations and preparing myself for a GTA clone of sorts. If they nail the story I will be content with that, and respect they tried something else.


I'm just worried about the soundtrack, the 60s especially the late 60s never clicked with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
icra

New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 13

37 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Is history repeating?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostinmafia_heavenMS

Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 71

116 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I sure hope, it's not the end of the MAFIA franchise with M3.

By the way The Godfather < The Godfather II , M1 > M2 Sticking out tongue
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mnich

Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 252
Location: Poland
46571 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

We won't see a multiplayer in Mafia 3. They want to focus on single player and developing the main character.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/334783/Hangar+13%3A+Mafia+III+is+an+%22unabashed+single-player+game%22/
_________________



AsaSK wrote:
I thought there was something strange about naughtyboy (Cole Phelps).. apart from the fact that his username sounds very gay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PtyIersworId

Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Posts: 35

99 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I was really hyped for Mafia 3 being announced and reading the news about it, but after seeing the trailers for it and the gameplay, I have to say that it was actually very anti-climactic. First of all, there's the arcade-y driving physics that look like they were taken directly from GTA V (or Saints Row as some others have pointed out), and the fact that the cars explode really easily after only being hit one or two times, and watching two-ton cars fly across the road like a paper lantern if you hit them slightly. There was also a few other nitpicks, such as the rearview mirror not working properly, and showing stuff exploding behind the car when it was still in front.

The biggest insult of all, which I'm surprised nobody pointed out, is the fact that this isn't a proper Mafia game. The mafia is in it, yes, but it's not the focal point of the game. In this game, the mafia kills your "family", and you spend the game forming a renegade gang made up of different factions to exterminate them. Instead of focusing on Mafia culture, how the family functions, and being a part of the mafia, like the first two games, in this game, you are killing the mafia off instead.

A gang made up of part African-Americans, part Irish, and part Italian can never be a proper mafia. They may call it one in the game, but do not be fooled by this. If you weren't full-blooded Sicilian or Italian-American, you weren't getting in. You may have been able to work with them as an associate, or maybe dirty muscle, but you could never be a proper part of the Mafia itself. So, more points off for historical inaccuracy.

This, combined with the other aspects, made this seem like a GTA-clone more than a Mafia game. It probably would have worked better as it's own independent game or spin-off. It really does feel like the game has next to nothing to do with the first two entries, and they are expecting putting the "MAFIA" sticker on it to sell the game by itself.

Anyway, that is my opinion of it, just based off the trailers. Besides all of that, I will withhold further judgement of the game until it is properly released and reviews are coming out. Despite the faults gathered here, it may actually turn out to be a good game anyway, and might actually be worth picking up and playing. Who knows?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
icra

New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 13

37 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I don't think it will have a romantic gangster story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Draconian

New Member
New Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 14

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

PtyIersworId wrote:
The biggest insult of all, which I'm surprised nobody pointed out, is the fact that this isn't a proper Mafia game. The mafia is in it, yes, but it's not the focal point of the game. In this game, the mafia kills your "family", and you spend the game forming a renegade gang made up of different factions to exterminate them. Instead of focusing on Mafia culture, how the family functions, and being a part of the mafia, like the first two games, in this game, you are killing the mafia off instead.


That's a complaint I've been hearing a lot. "How can you have a Mafia game that doesn't have an Italian-American protagonist?"

I think this is a situation of "darned if you do, danged if you don't."

The devs wanted a new setting. Mafia 1 and 2 both felt like NYC. So now we have New Orleans.

If they would've chosen a NYC or Chicago-type location for Mafia 3, and given it an Italian-American protagonist, people would slam the devs for unoriginality and re-treading the ground of Mafia 1 and 2. People would also complain that the "NYC / Italian-American gangster story" has been told to death in popular media.

So they go with Louisiana and a half-black protagonist, and people are mad that they're betraying the Mafia forumula.

Potentially a no-win situation. Perhaps Mafia 4 will be a "homecoming" to the big city / Italian mobster formula of the first two games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
huckleberrypie

Member
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2014
Posts: 126

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Draconian wrote:
PtyIersworId wrote:
The biggest insult of all, which I'm surprised nobody pointed out, is the fact that this isn't a proper Mafia game. The mafia is in it, yes, but it's not the focal point of the game. In this game, the mafia kills your "family", and you spend the game forming a renegade gang made up of different factions to exterminate them. Instead of focusing on Mafia culture, how the family functions, and being a part of the mafia, like the first two games, in this game, you are killing the mafia off instead.


That's a complaint I've been hearing a lot. "How can you have a Mafia game that doesn't have an Italian-American protagonist?"

I think this is a situation of "darned if you do, danged if you don't."

The devs wanted a new setting. Mafia 1 and 2 both felt like NYC. So now we have New Orleans.

If they would've chosen a NYC or Chicago-type location for Mafia 3, and given it an Italian-American protagonist, people would slam the devs for unoriginality and re-treading the ground of Mafia 1 and 2. People would also complain that the "NYC / Italian-American gangster story" has been told to death in popular media.

So they go with Louisiana and a half-black protagonist, and people are mad that they're betraying the Mafia forumula.

Potentially a no-win situation. Perhaps Mafia 4 will be a "homecoming" to the big city / Italian mobster formula of the first two games.

It's something of a catch-22 to put it another way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 517
Location: Dutchland
255681 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Although it's a bold move, I like the concept of not having a Mafia game from the Italian mob perspective, but rather from the people they've affected.
The story is always told from the Italian side and their ways of doing things. I'm now really curious to finally see the story about the -real- family of that otherwise random guy they kill. That part is never shown yet on those lives it has a huge impact.
So I think that intro speech about what family really means and that for the Italian mob it's just a last word is really fitting to the whole idea that it shines the light on the whole Mafia thing from a different angle.

@Icra,
I hope they better will add a romantic side to the story as this will give a lot more depth to it. Otherwise it's just another bland muscle guy with a thirst for blood like any other game basically.
Take Mafia 1 for example with the involvement of Sarah. Imagine if this wasn't in the game. Tommy wouldn't be reflecting on her and his kid in tough situations.
It's what I kind of missed in Mafia 2 where although Vito had this elder brother role with his sister which added nice character development, he kind of felt more like an average mafioso going after money, booze, cars and hookers rather than showing a really in-depth persona. Perhaps because it felt more like a sideplot rather than being interwoven with the overall story.

@Mnich,
I actually wouldn't mind not having a multiplayer. This means they can fully focus on the storyline and shape the whole game architecture towards it.

Hopefully the game will just be as solid as Mafia 2 was with it's look and feel. I can't get myself to play WatchDogs because the whole way the game feels simply doesn't attract me. So yeah, they better fire Michael Bay from the game mechanics department and stop looking at Grand Theft Auto.
_________________


www.Robville.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Generation Time: 0.054 | Queries: 19