FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255673 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I am actually relieved that they gone for something new instead of hanging within the cliché 1920's - 1940's. There's nothing wrong with that era though, but it's just a breath of fresh air to see a new kind of approach in this genre.
Mafia & Boardwalk Empire gave us the early 1900's, Sopranos gave us the 90's and 0's and Mafia 3 will give us the era that transformed the old world into the new.

Having a non-linear storyline again would be refreshing and hopefully give the game more depth. I'm really curious on how they play this out.

The only thing I didn't like was indeed the over the top car explosions. Seeing multiple cars tumble and immediately explode or get hit by a car and immediately combust is not remotely realistic. Cars in Mafia 1 were great with their realism. Cars in Mafia 2 were damn fantastic in the way they handled and really felt like you drove a big four wheel hunk of metal. I really don't hope they mess this up in the third part because that would be a shame.

Other than that, I'm really glad they showed ingame footage from day one of the announcement and it reminded me instantly of Mafia 2. Although graphically wise I wasn't too impressed by the screenshots (maybe due to missing anti aliasing), the actual video footage more than made up for it.

I'm really exited to see more about this game and it's definitely a title to look forward to. Thumbs up (left)

If they include a Titanic(mod) easter egg in it again I will shit myself in 64bit colors

www.Robville.net
geran30

Site Staff
Site Staff

157 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Rob basically said it, I'm so glad we are getting to do something fresh and as much as I love the Italian-American scene it's getting stale in games and the media its just a cliché now.

I will say however, though it may be due to the speech being early recordings. I really don't like the voice actor for Clay at all it just feels off and again those explosions were just too much. From the screens though that level of vehicle detail seems to still be there spot on.

I for one, can't bloody wait! Just do something with his voice actor lol Laughing

We're back.... For good!
@ndre

1045 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Yea, Rob said it the best...
I still have this itchy feeling in me after watching and listening to the trailer and gameplay and all those videos that this isn't like it should be. I mean being against the italian mob and everything...well i don't know. And a black protagonist...it just seems like its just too overdone in a sense that they tried to be different but still wanted something from the previous games to be in it too.
What really saddened me the most was that this game looks too arcade like. The driving physics...well ok, not the worst. The shooting and fast movements...looks weird. But cars blowing up and flying every which way....f*ck off. We don't need that crap. Also i didn't see any damage model really on the cars besides bulletholes, which is a shame. I mean im still hoping for this to be more about the cars and driving and the feeling of the era not just some new third person game. It needs that special feeling...and i didn't really get it. I know it's still early, and me beinga graphics whore...but i think even mafia 2 looked better. The game has it's shiny wet streets and lighting effects and reflections but it could look a bit better.
But i don't want to say everything too soon. We don't know yet everything and have seen pretty much alpha or beta version of the game.

...previously known as MafiaEST Wink
Mr Robville

255673 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, there was indeed something off with the protagonist's voice. It sounds a bit... muffled or like there was used a cheap microphone or something, I can't really put my finger on it.
Perhaps they modified the audio to make his voice fit the small interior of the car from where he's talking in because it does sound a little better at the ending.
We'll see. I'm sure 2K won't rush the voice acting in a game like this.

@ndre,
That's the same feeling I had when I saw the excessive explosions or quick movement. It has an arcade feel to it that the previous two Mafia games stayed far away from. Explosions and action are cool, but only when done properly. And in a -serious- story driven game I only wish to see it used moderately. Leave GTA for the brainless action. Leave Mafia for great immersion and storytelling. Both equal qualities yet both should not be switched.

"consolized" is what some people call it if a game becomes dumbed down or made more arcade for the average casual gamer. I sincerely hope 2K will not appeal to this audience.

www.Robville.net

Last edited by Mr Robville on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
T3mas1

122 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I'm disappointed. I wish there was a better physical.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276102 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I won't deny that I would probably buy the game.
However I hmmm! don't know, but I think it could
be another (and more so) a GTA copy. Maybe the
different approach with a protagonist not being Italian
may work (this is not what I am against). But the physics
I have to agree are rather arcadey and in some parts lame.

I would have hoped that the combat would have reverted
back to how Mafia CoLH was where you had to move around
to avoid getting shot.. also you could manually aim without
any assistance.

I sure hope they do something about how objects explode;
mainly vehicles so this is at least more realistic - imagine
driving down a road and you bump a fire hydrant and
KABOOM!!! Oops! whoops.

Cars in the 1960s and 1970s were still rather heavy
and a small ramp like you saw the car going over in
the gameplay trailer would have at most caused just
some denting of the fender (bumper) not a full explosion.

And despite what you see in movies shooting a gas tank
will not explode a car (unless you have an incendiary device
that can ignite the gas (petrol))

Zsolti

120 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:

If they include a Titanic(mod) easter egg in it again I will shit myself in 64bit colors

Can't wait. Laughing

They still have a year to fix/include stuff in the game. And they better, or else.

Although there are still probably lots of stuff and cars that are not done yet. And hopefully there will be moving trains. because I like trains.
PITEK

Site Staff
Site Staff

823 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

If my computer will met the requirements, I'm going to give it a try. Smile
I totally agree with Rob. We had more or less the same stories about gangsters. Maybe it's finally time to do something unconventional?
The only thing which I really dislike is the physics. The cars handling seems quite normal, but it's unusual when a dented or scratched car goes off. Also the melee combat and shooting from a gun looks weird, but all the rest is fine for me. They still have some time to give the game some final touches. Wink
Kosi4z_Zetec

13 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I really liked the trailer and the whole game seems to be cool. Only thing I worry about is that the fist part - ok, my PC met the requirements (even the one I had back then), the second part - mmm, maybe I needed a better video card. And now - the third one... Well, I think I'll need to upgrade or get a new and better one.

Btw, does Lincoln Clay reminds you somehow of Vin Diesel? Not just the voice though, the body, especially the driving and the muscle car. Very happy

I've already noticed Vito standing there next to the foxy disco lady, wonder what he was up to for the past decade...

Looking forward to play it.
huckleberrypie

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I'd better give this game a bit of a chance than bash at it for being so, um, different. It's still in development, but then again if 2K made it into yet another dud then it's no sale for me either.

As far as gameplay goes, I have to agree that they went a bit too overboard on that Ford Pinto/Michael Bay-esque mechanic where every single car blows up so easily. Some of the UI elements seem to be a little obtrusive for my tastes, and the radar does remind me of GTA V's.

Vito DLC, anyone? Laughing
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276102 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:
...Vito DLC, anyone? Laughing

You've just hit on something huckleberrypie. I sure hope
2K don't release an incomplete game and try and fob us
off with DLC's that should be in the game and get more
profit selling them off.

Again I hope I can be proved wrong and we don't get
SCREWED!

huckleberrypie

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Muggy wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:
...Vito DLC, anyone? Laughing

You've just hit on something huckleberrypie. I sure hope 2K don't release an incomplete game and try and fob us off with DLC's that should be in the game and get more profit selling them off.

Again I hope I can be proved wrong and we don't get SCREWED!

That would be an insult to injury besides the apparently lukewarm reception over the changes they made.
Mr Robville

255673 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

If the developers learned anything from their past experiences then they should know to avoid day one DLC like the plague. It caused a shitstorm when people found out there was disk locked content that they cut from the game only to sell it separately. Not to mention more than half of the game was cut down. I also thought that was pretty low from 2KC despite being it a great game.

So I hope they tie up the PR managers and put them in a boot until the game is finished and released.
I want no damn Vito DLC, I want no damn vehicle packs, I want no damn "PRE PURCHASE NOW AND RECEIVE THESE COOL WEAPONS/OUTFITS" dlc's. Just give me the damn game in a completed state, like every developer used to 10 years ago.
DLC should be kept as a further expansion to the game way after it has hit the stores, should it sell well. I had no problems with Joe's adventures or Jimmy's vendetta because those were made after it got released.

And don't anyone dare to argue with me that "I don't have to buy the DLC because it's optional". Because imagine if you buy a car, and all doors, 3 seats, 2 cilinders and the upholstering is missing that you have to buy separately. Hey you don't háve to buy it right?

www.Robville.net
huckleberrypie

253 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
If the developers learned anything from their past experiences then they should know to avoid day one DLC like the plague. It caused a shitstorm when people found out there was disk locked content that they cut from the game only to sell it separately. Not to mention more than half of the game was cut down. I also thought that was pretty low from 2KC despite being it a great game.

So I hope they tie up the PR managers and put them in a boot until the game is finished and released.
I want no damn Vito DLC, I want no damn vehicle packs, I want no damn "PRE PURCHASE NOW AND RECEIVE THESE COOL WEAPONS/OUTFITS" dlc's. Just give me the damn game in a completed state, like every developer used to 10 years ago.
DLC should be kept as a further expansion to the game way after it has hit the stores, should it sell well. I had no problems with Joe's adventures or Jimmy's vendetta because those were made after it got released.

And don't anyone dare to argue with me that "I don't have to buy the DLC because it's optional". Because imagine if you buy a car, and all doors, 3 seats, 2 cilinders and the upholstering is missing that you have to buy separately. Hey you don't have to buy it right?

Yeah, back in the old days expansions are more of a rewarding thing to save up on and install to add replay value. I'm afraid the whole DLC trend devolved so much that it is considered by some as more of a pejorative term for a desperate cash-in attempt to milk things dry like what they did with Mafia II. Which reminds me of this song I wrote some five years ago in reaction to how the latter ended up being a dud:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/shirleytemple6.shtml

Quote:
There's millions worth of angry players
And megabytes of cut content
This game's short of real success
Mafia 2's a horrid mess.
Mr Robville

255673 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Mafia III officially announced, full reveal on Gamescom 2015 Reply with quote

I know that lyric. Thinking
Please don't tell me we once were MSN contacts around the time M2 got released.

Because I used to have someone in my contacts (with a different name than yours, don't remember anymore) Who had a flaming hate towards Mafia 2 and also made a whole campaign about it also named "Mafia 2's a horrid mess". So much that the @sshole found it necessary to name every character who dies in the game in his MSN title while knowing I hadn't played the game yet.
The game I was waiting for to play for years got spoiled in an instant because some douchebag could not contain his temper. I obviously immediately blocked and removed him from my contacts list and never spoke to him since. I'll never forgive that guy for what he did.

Not accusing you or anything. Just a memory that suddenly popped up reading that title.
It's not going to happen this time anyway since I now have a pretty powerful computer. As soon as the game comes out, there won't be any daylight for me until I'm finished. So to speak. Sticking out tongue

Anyway, yeah I would say the song fits the PR practices that didn't benefit the game. Although there's something that worries me and that is that M3 will be dumbed down on PC in order to cope with the consoles. Kinda like Watch Dogs.
When Mafia 2 got released. The PC version was superior and you could clearly tell it was a PC game that got ported to consoles instead of the other way around as it's common today. Obviously the hardware of consoles is pretty outdated compared to the average PC hardware from the same date, so there had to be a lot of stuff cut from the game to make it work on the consoles. No grass only seems logical. I mean, does GTA V on PS3 has grass? Nope. It does have on PC.
However, despite the logical cutdown of the game, countless of console players went apeshit because of it. You know what message this sends to 2K? That next time they should level the graphical quality between all platforms meaning that the PC version will be dumbed down. I don't like that idea. At all.

www.Robville.net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: