FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Sorry for hijacking Your thread, I guess Very happy

Unfortunately I have to edit cars myself because I wanted to make all of them appear in all colours. And I didn't test it any further than the screenshot in my previous post yet.

But I could use help of someone who knows anything about programming and would know how to write an ASI plugin. There's a function in game.exe responsible for switching cars lights in tunnel. If I edit game.exe in hex I can make cars to switch lights when they're passing countryside tunnel (the one north from Motel) but I obviously lose little Italy - central island one. So either copy this function with another reference object or add another object to that function.

Meanwhile, additional spawn options in menu for all game versions:

MrBeker12

570 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

don't worry Wink im happy that someone is able to do what i wished to do Thumbs up (left)
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Looks like it's going to be first forum post in 2017 so, Happy new year!

Back to business. All textures are now smoothed. It means that they are more pleasant to look at when seen from a distance. To get sharper textures on closer distances it is mandatory to set anisotropic filtering for Mafia in video card driver settings to x16.

I have edited river banks (now it has potential for some mission where you travel by boat through whole Lost Heaven Sticking out tongue), retextured all the water; unified it's size and flow direction. Now it appears to flow from top of the map to bottom, with the exception of beach behind Down Town spawn point.

Road.bin is 100% merged with added Deadfall Pass traffic and some other random fixes. Although few crossroads still need some adjustments. I don't know if they were badly designed or it is AI path finding thing. I was also thinking about increasing traffic speed for countryside and player's police speed limit.

Check.bin, it's funny thing. Have you ever noticed that there are NO pedestrians in Oak Hill in freeride? It's beacouse freeride uses check.bin from Moonlighting mission which has no ped paths there. I guess they used it becouse it has enemy waypoints in Yellow's Pete shop... When you take check.bin's from Crème De La Crème and merge them you get most complete waypoint map without much effort:

It has basic enemy waypoints for whole countryside. It would be nice to improve it so waypoints would cover whole road+sides width but doing it manually... I don't think I have that much time.
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

I worked a bit on traffic improvements. Here's a 13min video showing 1st test of all cars in all colours in my little italy testing grounds:

I was trying to aim at the same cars, for some reason I didn't aim at any Guardian Terraplane (you can see them in 3 colours) Sticking out tongue Right now all cars have same chance to appear, I'm planing on limiting Bolt Ace's, Model B's and luxury cars.

I also thought it would be to easy to simply export model objects from countryside scene2.bin and import them into freeride scene, so... I converted them all into cache.bin models:

1st run:

1st run of fixes:

Some objects still need fixing Sticking out tongue

I also noticed I have some strange problem with cache.bin. If I spawn in little italy and go to Salieri's bar I can't see white Salieri's logos on both windows. If I spawn in hoboken and go to Salieri's I can see them. If I use DDU some gateposts stop displaying in little italy exit to countryside. If I insert countryside cache models I lose some chinatown gateposts... It's obviously some problem with objects rendering hints. But WHY?
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Duelist wrote:

I also noticed I have some strange problem with cache.bin. If I spawn in little italy and go to Salieri's bar I can't see white Salieri's logos on both windows. If I spawn in hoboken and go to Salieri's I can see them. If I use DDU some gateposts stop displaying in little italy exit to countryside. If I insert countryside cache models I lose some chinatown gateposts... It's obviously some problem with objects rendering hints. But WHY?

Just a wild guess but did you update the cache base block bounding volumes after making your changes (i.e. the vectors/values listed under Render Hint in MWE)? If I'm not mistaken, Vector 1 and Value denote a bounding circle with Vector 1/Value being the position/radius. The x.0 vectors are probably the vertices of the block's bounding box and it looks like the x.1 vectors are the deltas with
Code:

v0.1 := v0.0 - v2.0
v1.1 := v1.0 - v3.0
v2.1 := v0.0 - v1.0
v3.1 := v2.0 - v3.0
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Yes, I did set them like this:

Right now all countryside models are subobjects of that mountain. I wanted to split them every few houndred Y's but I haven't found a way to sort them by X and Y yet.

The thing I don't understand is, why adding these objects affect others (which I didn't touch). Here's another example:

If I spawn in hoboken some gateposts won't show up. If I spawn near motel and go to the same spot they show up. If I change their parent to the one of the visible ones they will show up even if I spawn in hoboken. Note that whole wooden fence is child of the same object as invisible gateposts.

Basically, depending on my spawn location some gateposts will show up and some won't. I also checked Salieri's bar signs in missions. They don't show up there either. But if I delete them and insert again with same values under same parent they will show up even when I spawn in little italy. What?
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

I think I have found the source of disappearing gateposts (at least some of them)... MWE itself causes it Confused

If someone could confirm...

Take unmoded freeride mission load it in MWE and do any kind of change to cache.bin models (delete red gate behind Salieri's for example) save the mission. Start the game, choose hoboken spawn point and get to the construction site in hoboken. Some gateposts should be invisible like on my previous screenshot.

If I remove red gate using cache.bin Editor or in hex editor these gateposts are still visible.
Hunter

1562 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Buggy editors, what else is new?

It looks amazing with those new trees. That part of the countryside always looked a little weird with large mowed lawns and nothing there.

Would be great if you increased city traffic 5 MPH, probably would break every other route though Laughing
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Those trees are the same as countryside ones. Some of them were bugged on 1st run screenshots due to cache objects scale multiplier (those two scales when you click on cache.bin model in MWE are being multiplied be the game).

I've changed traffic speed on one crossroad becouse cars were going too fast and were ending on incoming traffic lane. So this should work Sticking out tongue

I sat a bit more on cache issue. Listen to this: after deleting red gate behind Salieri's with cache.bin editor, hoboken gateposts were still visible but little italy exit to countryside ones disappeared Very happy So I thought that every change to cache.bin (regardless of program used) would break it and that it still had to do something with rendering hints. So I deleted all rendering hints parent objects but one and assigned all models to that one object and used ddu rendering hints. I ended up with no gateposts that uses @plsloup.4ds model (on previous screenshot there are 3 visible, now there were none Laughing). I thought that there's maybe some issue with model... I renamed all @plsloup to @drplot3 gateposts. All of them started displaying. Ok. But there still was no white Salieri signs on windows! I went back to file before all of this and changed gateposts models again (to @drplot3). Little italy ones are visible... hoboken visible... motel spawn ones (6 of them) not visible Impossible Impossible I wanted to check what would happen if I changed all their models to @plsloup... exactly same thing as with all of them being @drplot3 Sarcastic Not model issue I guess... Still not Salieri logos...

How is it even possible
ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Duelist wrote:

If someone could confirm...

Take unmoded freeride mission load it in MWE and do any kind of change to cache.bin models (delete red gate behind Salieri's for example) save the mission. Start the game, choose hoboken spawn point and get to the construction site in hoboken. Some gateposts should be invisible like on my previous screenshot.

If I remove red gate using cache.bin Editor or in hex editor these gateposts are still visible.

Hm can't confirm. The gateposts were still rendered after making the proposed change in MWE.

Now what I can confirm is the issue with the "Salieri's Bar" logos you pointed out earlier. When I start vanilla freeride in Little Italy and drive to Salieri's, it just shows the logo on the marquise. The logos on the windows are missing until I take a ride through Chinatown and return to Salieri's. I haven't tested but I guess other routes like the one you proposed work, too.

Duelist wrote:

I think I have found the source of disappearing gateposts (at least some of them)... MWE itself causes it Confused

MWE potentially changes the order of the base blocks when writing the cache.bin back to disk which might be an issue: When I save the vanilla freeride cache.bin in MWE, start freeride in Little Italy and go to Salieri's, it shows the logo on just one of the windows this time. The logo on the other window and on the marquise is gone until I get back from Chinatown. That does not explain the gatepost issues you were having with DDU, though since DDU doesn't change the base block order but merely blows up the individual blocks so each covers the entire city (assuming you were using a vanilla DDU cache.bin of course).
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Yes, I was getting such errors even with vanilla freeride. I'm glad that You couldn't confirm it. I went and reinstalled the game copying mods one by one and checking if it is working.

It turns out that source of the missing gateposts (those that I didn't even touch) was increased view distance using WideScreenFix.asi. I've disabled it and they don't disappear anymore. Although, those that were imported from countryside still don't appear if I spawn near motel. But at least they behave just like Salieri logos - I have to leave their rendering group (most likely) to make them appear. So it is easier to work with. Still strange why other objects render from start.

Now that I'm looking at motel... I have an flickering issue Laughing Motel and rock behind it flicker like mad due to some texture overlaps. But at the same time they don't in vanilla countryside map. I have copied them 1 to 1 so again... What? What?

It also seems that inserting some models into cache instead of scene2 breaks them. Left is scene2.bin, right is cache.bin:

Edit:

ASM. wrote:

MWE potentially changes the order of the base blocks when writing the cache.bin back to disk which might be an issue: When I save the vanilla freeride cache.bin in MWE, start freeride in Little Italy and go to Salieri's, it shows the logo on just one of the windows this time. The logo on the other window and on the marquise is gone until I get back from Chinatown.

I forgot to ask. Why does MWE change their order? Same behaviour. Try to set their parent to base224 (same as red gate) or base231 (road in front of bar) it won't change a thing.
ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Duelist wrote:

But at least they behave just like Salieri logos - I have to leave their rendering group (most likely) to make them appear. So it is easier to work with. Still strange why other objects render from start.

I could imagine this causes other cache instances to subtly disappear, though. I'm starting to think that maybe the missing Danny Boy (0rek23.i3d) models could also be related to that issue since patching the model name in the exe as no effect (IIRC).

Duelist wrote:

Now that I'm looking at motel... I have an flickering issue Laughing Motel and rock behind it flicker like mad due to some texture overlaps. But at the same time they don't in vanilla countryside map. I have copied them 1 to 1 so again... What? What?

Did you create face col data for the motel (i.e. ex04)? GOLOD55 had a similar issue with the motel in CB2 (though I should add that he uses the full motel from mise04-motorest). When face col data is present for the exterior there's quite some heavy z-fighting going on. This is particularly noticable on the Clark's Motel label (Line01). Interestingly the z-fighting is gone if you relocate the object to (or close to) the world origin (or if you remove the face col data) which suggests it's got something to do with floating point precision. However I have no idea what the presence of face col data does to the renderer to cause such artefacts.

wrote:

It also seems that inserting some models into cache instead of scene2 breaks them. Left is scene2.bin, right is cache.bin:

I take it you mean the orange/yellow dirt texture shining through at the base. I can reproduce that. bouda2.4ds consists of two objects, Box239 (the actual house) and Box01 (the dirt mesh around it) and it looks like the game scales Box239 incorrectly for some reason. Maybe models need to satisfy some conditions to be usable as cache base block models.

wrote:

I forgot to ask. Why does MWE change their order? Same behaviour. Try to set their parent to base224 (same as red gate) or base231 (road in front of bar) it won't change a thing.

This is due to the internal scene representation used by MWE. Effectively the resulting order of the base blocks after saving is equal to the order of the bases in scene.4ds. MWE of course doesn't change the order on every save; the order is only different compared to vanilla cache.bins. The same happens to scene2.bin by the way.

In hindsight it might have been better to maintain the original order to allow for diffing (to spot serialization bugs more easily for example) but whatever. Smile
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:

This is due to the internal scene representation used by MWE. Effectively the resulting order of the base blocks after saving is equal to the order of the bases in scene.4ds. MWE of course doesn't change the order on every save; the order is only different compared to vanilla cache.bins. The same happens to scene2.bin by the way.

In hindsight it might have been better to maintain the original order to allow for diffing (to spot serialization bugs more easily for example) but whatever. Smile

Makes sense (assuming it won't cause any bugs Sticking out tongue).

ASM. wrote:

Did you create face col data for the motel (i.e. ex04)? GOLOD55 had a similar issue with the motel in CB2 (though I should add that he uses the full motel from mise04-motorest). When face col data is present for the exterior there's quite some heavy z-fighting going on. This is particularly noticable on the Clark's Motel label (Line01). Interestingly the z-fighting is gone if you relocate the object to (or close to) the world origin (or if you remove the face col data) which suggests it's got something to do with floating point precision. However I have no idea what the presence of face col data does to the renderer to cause such artefacts.

Now that's something I wouldn't think off. I've done it the same way as in countryside: rock - face, motel - xtobb linked to ex04k (in my case). I couldn't belive it but changing xtobb parent to primary sector fixed flickering (deleting face from rock also). Now I understand why most collisions in the city are linked to Primary sector. Thanks!

ASM. wrote:

I take it you mean the orange/yellow dirt texture shining through at the base. I can reproduce that. bouda2.4ds consists of two objects, Box239 (the actual house) and Box01 (the dirt mesh around it) and it looks like the game scales Box239 incorrectly for some reason. Maybe models need to satisfy some conditions to be usable as cache base block models.

Yes, I tried to set one object as parent (just like in trees models) and change their scale in .4ds but it didn't work. Maybe merging them together as one object would do the trick. It's not really an issue, I can insert some of them into scene2. That windmill next to motel for example had to be inserted into scene2.bin becouse otherwise its animation didn't work.

ASM. wrote:

I could imagine this causes other cache instances to subtly disappear, though. I'm starting to think that maybe the missing Danny Boy (0rek23.i3d) models could also be related to that issue since patching the model name in the exe as no effect (IIRC).

Shocked I have never seen that sign. I have experimented a bit more with gateposts:

From left to right: 2x @plsloup.i3d (vanilla), 2x @drplot3.i3d (vanilla), 2x @drplot1.i3d (just copied and renamed model), 2x @drplot6.i3d (again just renamed copy). It looks like game knows they are there but it doesn't display texture Thinking

Changed their scale to 1. Vanilla @drplot3 still invisible but now both renamed @drplot1 became visible.

It's MWE screenshot. Made copies in MWE with 0.5 scale.

And this is how it looks in game What? . Their shadows remain there.

I also tried to insert 5 @drplot3 models near little italy spawn - all of them worked. But when (on vanilla cache) I tried to insert 3 @drplot3 models on rendering group that I created on road in front of motel only 1st of them showed up What?
ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

Duelist wrote:

Now that's something I wouldn't think off. I've done it the same way as in countryside: rock - face, motel - xtobb linked to ex04k (in my case). I couldn't belive it but changing xtobb parent to primary sector fixed flickering (deleting face from rock also). Now I understand why most collisions in the city are linked to Primary sector. Thanks!

I did some experiments and it looks like it's MWE's fault again. In freekrajina the XTOBB for the motel building is also linked to ex04, yet there's not z-fighting. Even if I add additional primitives linking to ex04 and delete the original XTOBB afterwards, everything remains fine. Z-fighting only starts if I remove all primitives linking to ex04 first and then add new primitives for ex04. This leads me to believe the issue could be related to the order of the links in the klz (due to the way how MWE handles the link table internally). If that's indeed the case, the question is what order the game expects for the links then.

Duelist wrote:

Yes, I tried to set one object as parent (just like in trees models) and change their scale in .4ds but it didn't work. Maybe merging them together as one object would do the trick. It's not really an issue, I can insert some of them into scene2. That windmill next to motel for example had to be inserted into scene2.bin becouse otherwise its animation didn't work.

When you played around with scaling the 4ds, did you try to move the vertices of Box239 so you can set the scaling of the object to (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)? I'm asking because to me it looks like the game ignores the original scaling of Box239 (i.e. (1.1, 1.1, 1.1)) and simply renders it as (1.0, 1.0, 1.0).

Duelist wrote:

Shocked I have never seen that sign.

This is because the game silently replaces cache instances with that model with another model at runtime, namely 0rek17.4ds which is the Good Cigar ad. However, its quad is rotated by 180° around Y which is why it gets backface culled in places where it is used as replacement for 0rek23.4ds, hence resulting in an empty spot. If you patch the check in Game.exe, the Danny Boy ad renders fine (so I apparently remembered wrong). Makes me wonder why they added the check to the game...

Duelist wrote:

I have experimented a bit more with gateposts:
<snip>
From left to right: 2x @plsloup.i3d (vanilla), 2x @drplot3.i3d (vanilla), 2x @drplot1.i3d (just copied and renamed model), 2x @drplot6.i3d (again just renamed copy). It looks like game knows they are there but it doesn't display texture Thinking
<snip>
Changed their scale to 1. Vanilla @drplot3 still invisible but now both renamed @drplot1 became visible.
<snip>
It's MWE screenshot. Made copies in MWE with 0.5 scale.
<snip>
And this is how it looks in game What? . Their shadows remain there.

I also tried to insert 5 @drplot3 models near little italy spawn - all of them worked. But when (on vanilla cache) I tried to insert 3 @drplot3 models on rendering group that I created on road in front of motel only 1st of them showed up -o

Hm you could try playing around with the order of the instances within the cache base block and see if that changes anything regarding what instances show up. I don't know whether CacheRE allows you to do that but if it doesn't, a simple hex editor should do. All you really need to do is to move the instance chunks (0x07D0) around.

Duelist wrote:

But I could use help of someone who knows anything about programming and would know how to write an ASI plugin. There's a function in game.exe responsible for switching cars lights in tunnel. If I edit game.exe in hex I can make cars to switch lights when they're passing countryside tunnel (the one north from Motel) but I obviously lose little Italy - central island one. So either copy this function with another reference object or add another object to that function.

I added this to Mafia Patcher recently. It provides a config option allowing you to specify an arbitrary number of sectors that should be treated as tunnel sectors.
Duelist

128 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Freeride-Expansion Country+city Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:

I did some experiments and it looks like it's MWE's fault again. In freekrajina the XTOBB for the motel building is also linked to ex04, yet there's not z-fighting. Even if I add additional primitives linking to ex04 and delete the original XTOBB afterwards, everything remains fine. Z-fighting only starts if I remove all primitives linking to ex04 first and then add new primitives for ex04. This leads me to believe the issue could be related to the order of the links in the klz (due to the way how MWE handles the link table internally). If that's indeed the case, the question is what order the game expects for the links then.

Interesting, could this be also the reason for not being able to create breakable glass (no shattered glass effect) like in original missions (through xtobb with 24 mat flag)? I won't be much of help here but I took a look at klz's. It looks like vanilla freeride file contains links to not existing objects from other missions like barkulisa2.Line01 from mission 15. It has actually 3 times more links and gridDataOffset than my mod. Order doesn't look like anything special... primary sector, some alley in central island, some place in hoboken. Although, it looks like it's mostly scene.4ds objects first. Some dopravni, phbox, alarm, lamp links are grouped together. Struct cells have more values.

ASM. wrote:

When you played around with scaling the 4ds, did you try to move the vertices of Box239 so you can set the scaling of the object to (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)? I'm asking because to me it looks like the game ignores the original scaling of Box239 (i.e. (1.1, 1.1, 1.1)) and simply renders it as (1.0, 1.0, 1.0).

I have fixed it. Apparently I have left one configuration. Objects order have to be changed: Box01 (1 scale) first, then Box239 (1.1 scale) and it has to be set as child object of Box01. Then set it's scale in MWE to 1.1. What I noticed is that the game resets 4ds scale of every cache object to 1. It's best to observe it using 9halda2.4ds, 9koza2.4ds or chajda02.4ds. If you set their 4ds scale as 2nd scale in MWE they will display properly both in game and editor.

ASM. wrote:

This is because the game silently replaces cache instances with that model with another model at runtime, namely 0rek17.4ds which is the Good Cigar ad. However, its quad is rotated by 180° around Y which is why it gets backface culled in places where it is used as replacement for 0rek23.4ds, hence resulting in an empty spot. If you patch the check in Game.exe, the Danny Boy ad renders fine (so I apparently remembered wrong). Makes me wonder why they added the check to the game...

That sign doesn't fit the game setting imo. There's a guy called Daniel Vávra who was Mafia chief developer. Danny might be informal form of Daniel in english (althoug I'm not sure). Maybe someone wanted to make fun of him or some sort of developer joke (after all it says "Only for tough gays(?)" hard to read last 2 letters). And when they found it, it was disabled. They did it throguh exe so it could affect whole game at once without having to search for it.

ASM. wrote:

I added this to Mafia Patcher recently. It provides a config option allowing you to specify an arbitrary number of sectors that should be treated as tunnel sectors.

GOLOD55 told me it is being worked on. I'm waiting for it Smile

ASM. wrote:

Hm you could try playing around with the order of the instances within the cache base block and see if that changes anything regarding what instances show up. I don't know whether CacheRE allows you to do that but if it doesn't, a simple hex editor should do. All you really need to do is to move the instance chunks (0x07D0) around.

Doesn't change anything. Now that I'm thinking about it... ASM are you using WideScreenFix.asi? If not, could You try that hoboken thing one more time with increased view distance to 600 using it. Maybe those missing gateposts are related somehow to my hardware. And it wasn't the source of disappearance of some of them but it amplified the issue instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: