FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

General impressions about the game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sicali

21 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

Since this is one of the most relevant communities for Mafia, I was wondering what everyone's assessment of Mafia II was. Personally, I was disappointed. Even if you discount the disjointed story and the missing missions/features, as well as the cut to be DLC content, it still fell a bit short.
I guess it fell in the plight of trying to attract a wide audience by a big developer, in 2010. Can you imagine it having a level like You Lucky Bastard, when you had to move the chock from the train wagon, and make sure the tracks were sending it through the right door, without any indication/prompt whatsoever? Or relying on health packs instead of health regen?
It being developed for the console is also apparent, but I also really disliked the use of a cover system, because it was made so that you had to use cover with how much damage you would take.
Anyway, what are your thoughts?
kavi85

133 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

Well for me, I am disappointed with some missions and the story line and specially for the death of Tommy Angelo. But if see the graphics and the overall works of developers then I can say it is the best one, specially the animation and cut scenes are superb. Vito face also attract me a lot, Changing clothes in home and outside shops, drinking etc are the positive points of the game.

I hope developers will work good in Mafia-3 and release it soon.
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1256 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

I don't know why a lot of Mafia TCOLH fans seem to hate the second part. Even if they don't hate it, they still don't like it. When I first played this game, I was expecting something quite interesting, but nothing extraordinary. But as I continued playing through the storyline, it was clear to me, that the game had not only met my expectations, but had by far exceeded them. The graphics are amazing, the story in my opinion is very interesting, had me on the edge of my seat a couple of times. The gameplay is convenient and very easy to get used to. Empire Bay looks stunning if you just take your time to cruise around. Also, on the PC version I've managed to get an XBOX360 controller emulator working with my steering wheel, which gave me a whole lotta enjoyment when driving in-game. The characters, combined with the atmosphere and the story made such a good impression on me, that I consider this game to have given me probably the greatest amount of enjoyment of all games. And of course, you'll be telling "but they killed Tommy Angelo how could they do it yada yada yada...". But actually, I thought of this mission as a very good connection, if you will, between the two games. Yeah, everyone loved Tommy from Lost Heaven, but it's just something we gotta get over. He was killed in the end of the original game anyway, so I don't really understand why this seems to be such a big deal. The only thing I didn't like and maybe even hated about Mafia II was the major cliffhanger they left in the end with Vito and especially Joe. It felt really unfinished. But let's just keep our fingers crossed for Mafia III guys, yeah? Smile
Hunter

1560 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

I never gave it a chance. Reasons include the driving system (it seems that they changed some elements of it I like), the setting (time period, style), the "DLC" crap, and I didn't even know about something like regenerating health. That is of the devil Sticking out tongue Plus the story of MAFIA is pretty much complete.

I could go on with various little nitpicks, but that's enough.

Not having gone through it I can't comment specifically, but the previews looked like just another game to me - interesting graphics, but not the same sort of story and gameplay that made MAFIA exciting. Gameplay mechanics have changed over the years - not always for the better.
officerpuppy

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

I'm rediscovering the game after not playing for years, so far I'm enjoying it although I do wish it was easier to mod. Probably one of the many reasons why the game didn't take with a lot of folks among other reasons already listed on this thread.
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

8781 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

The main issue is this - as a standalone game it's pretty good, but as a Mafia: TCOLH sequel, it's pretty damn awful.

The storyline is about as disjointed as you can get in a game, the killing of Tommy was just an insult - salt in an already open wound, the cars are nowhere near as satisfying to drive as the cars in Mafia 1, the majority of the characters are stupidly shallow, the city is boring to look at compared to Lost Heaven, etc etc.

The official Mafioso Mod thread
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

For one thing, modding Mafia 2 is an ass compared to the first game. We still don't have a working mesh exporter yet.

The storyline's alright, but yes it's a major letdown for 2K to have it chopped down so they can sell the butchered parts as DLC.
ro_gamer

30 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: General impressions about the game Reply with quote

I love so much the atmosphere the game creates! It says "fifties" so much! The soundtrack is one of the best ever, the details in the game are minutiously reproduced (even useless ones, like turning the sink faucet on/off, opening/closing windows etc).
I suggest players to put Empire Bay under a magnifier (take a walk on the streets), because it has so much small things to show! I think those details can compensate with its size (smaller than Lost Heaven).
Driving is quite realistic, assuming that 40-50s cars were more powerful and faster than the 20-30s ones However, I found annoying that blurred view you have when you get a very high speed...
As with cars, I simply don't like that so many cars aren't period correct. In 1945, you can see the Lassiter 69 (based on a '49 Cadillac Series 62), the Shubert Truck (based on a ''54 Chevy COE). In 1951, half of the cars are based on models produced after this year (Houston Wasp = '54 Hudson Hornet, Shubert Beverly = '56 Chevy Bel Air, and many others), yet the remaining of the 40s cars make a short cameo in this period...
I won't try to repeat what the other members have said about Mafia 2, but I have to agree that the story feels a bit "rushed" (I'm talking about the main game, no DLCs, which I also have). I would have loved to see Vito making up some way or another with his sister, or to know what happened to Joe in the end.
This "haste" is seen in some other features in the game: the lack of Freeride (not a problem anymore thanks to a dedicated mod), no functional public transportation, no other ways to get money than robbing shops, selling cars or scrapping them (at least 2K could've introduced an equivalent of the Vigilante missions in GTA, where the player could be a cop, firefighter or ambulance driver).

Overall, I really like this game, especially as a sequel to Mafia I. Why? Well, the zenith of the Mafia was during Prohibition, and that was the time everything had a more "romanced" appearance than later on. The 50's saw the beginning of a new age, and the Mafia wasn't doing so well as in the 20s. (at least they could've cut some "f**k" usages)
sicali wrote:
Can you imagine it having a level like You Lucky Bastard, when you had to move the chock from the train wagon, and make sure the tracks were sending it through the right door, without any indication/prompt whatsoever?

In real life, if you would've had this mission and had to do it alone, who could indicate you to let that tanker car loose and blow it up? The lack of prompting in the first game made it more realistic and challenging. The same goes for health regenerating. In real life, there is no such thing, so first-aid kits (even GTA 5 uses them) would have been more welcomed when it comes to realism.

sicali wrote:
I also really disliked the use of a cover system, because it was made so that you had to use cover with how much damage you would take.

Again, taking cover is as realistic as it can be. That was a major shortcoming of the first game, and in the second, it made the shootout more "action-packed".

Elegance is the true beauty that never dies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 2 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: