FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Building you can enter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

How would I go about making a building (or taking one already used in-game) and make it so i could go inside it?

Thanks
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

It's a little more complicated than that, buildings in mafia are just 3D textures on 2D 'faces', with four of them put together to form a 3D cube building shape, like this:

So, in order to add an interior it needs to be 'built' inside the model, like so:

The official Mafioso Mod thread
MatteoCapoletti

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

I can't really do that fancy stuff Asa is talking about. Hell I can't do most of the high level model building, modding et al. What I am really good at is finding a way to get around it

Cheeseburger modding I call it

In cheeseburger mod world....

If you want an interior to a building that you don't need to see out of...just create the interiors in a separate load to most of my things are done this way
That mess hanging in the air above the Sarah mission (Mission 7) is the copa cabana club I just made....a completely separate load to mission.
(I usually use the Sarah mission for my odd things because it allows me to build out in space like that)

I have also used ZModeler to remove the doors to a building, then replace the original new doorless model and build the interior on site...again using cheese burger. Most buildings are one sided so any windows you put iside the building will look out into the world....but getting the windows to match the look and feel of the original can be a pain

I also find I almost always s-can models that are live in freeride as they don't offer the environment control I am looking for.

In the case of the coffee break bar, that one is a hybrid. I used ZModeler to to remove the bottom floor of the model and then built both the interior and exterior bottom floor entirely

Like I said, I don't do it the right way.....but it gets done
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys Smile
Okay, so Asa, If I do what you suggested, how do I get into this building? Have it on 'another mission' like I did before?

Matteo, is there a tutorial for loading up a building in Zmodeler? I could never work that program Sad

By the way what are the keyboard shortcuts to add collisions that fit an object quickly? I did it manually last time.

Thanks Very happy
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Johncena1 wrote:
If I do what you suggested, how do I get into this building? Have it on 'another mission' like I did before?

Nope, you can just walk through the doorway and you'll be inside, just like you would if you walked into Vincenzo's workshop, for example.
Just add collisions for the inside so you don't fall through the floor/walk through the walls.

Johncena1 wrote:
By the way what are the keyboard shortcuts to add collisions that fit an object quickly? I did it manually last time.

Ctrl+S to break the objects down into their original 4DS parts, then Ctrl+K to bring up the collisions dialogue box.
At the bottom you can type in the kind of material you want (2 for pavement, 5 for grass, etc) and click OK.

These are 'face' collisions and subsequently won't show up as coloured blocks in MWE, so go into the game to see the results for yourself.

Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Oh right, thanks Asa.
So how do I make the door openable then? Because the ones on the streets are "1 object"
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Create a door in BSV, then go into MWE and scale, rotate, move it to your preferences.

Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Building you can enter Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
Create a door in BSV, then go into MWE and scale, rotate, move it to your preferences.

But the original house has one and you can see it, what I mean is how can I remove that or hide it/
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Import it to Zmodeler or 3DS Max and delete the 'face' with the door on it.

Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building you can enter Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
Import it to Zmodeler or 3DS Max and delete the 'face' with the door on it.

Okay thank you for your help, I will give it a go
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

If you get stuck, post a screenshot and I'll help you.
If it's still too hard after that, Matteo's way is also great, it's the way I started.

Last edited by AsaSK on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Building you can enter Reply with quote

Just so I can see, what building model are you using?

Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building you can enter Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
If you get stuck, post a screenshot and I'll help you.
If it's still too hard after that, Matteo's way is also great, it's the way I started.

Okay thanks I will install it in the next few days and have a go at it.

AsaSK wrote:
Just so I can see, what building model are you using?

I'm not entirely sure yet, I'll let you know Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: