FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

LS3D Sandbox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotmilk

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

djbozkosz wrote:
Very happy

gotmilk, in short: it is possible, everything is possible. I would appreciate this "baking" function too. Also with material merging (one mesh with one texture atlas) because then is rendering performance truly maximized. BUT, please don't expect this from me in near future.

clear? Wink

thank you thank you thank you. That's all I wanted to know. I knew it was possible, but I also knew that there was a little reason for someone to code it.

Btw: In Unity I managed to bake everything from 4ds into 4 texture atlases. I used this plugin here. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5017

I got 2534 draw calls batched down to 132. I did it because in VR fps need to be minimum at 90fps. I am not familiar how Mafia engine works but maybe there is a way to reverse engineer this. You could easily get all the baked meshes and textures out of Unity project file. Of course I am not sure how Mafia engine would handle this.

Good luck with your studies. And thank you again for confirming. Since i now know that you have no near term plans for this and they author of MWE does not also plan to develop this functionality, the only way to go forward is by manually placing them and using editor only as a visual reference. I am glad that I asked.
huckleberrypie

291 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

Oh, and will there still be any plans on reverse-engineering the 4DS format even further?
gotmilk

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:
Oh, and will there still be any plans on reverse-engineering the 4DS format even further?

Is this question for me? Not sure yet. I am working full time on an VR game and have limited spare time.
If Sandbox or MWE would be able to bake all the data into one big chunk then the Lost Heaven VR recreation would be done and uploaded here within a month. It would be an empty city with higher visual quality thanks to Unity5 GI. For the reference here are a couple of screenshot where a lighting artist used assets from GTA San Andreas to light the scene.
http://shadowood.uk/Store/Store/Misc/Y2014-Mo09-Unity5/Images/Big/ScreenShot2014-09-15at03.46.29pm.jpg
and
http://shadowood.uk/Store/Store/Misc/Y2014-Mo09-Unity5/Images/Big/ScreenShot2014-09-18at12.45.51pm.jpg

With Unity one could give a fantastic visual overhaul to the entire city.

The Lost Heaven VR recreation would still need a high powered PC because commercial headsets will hold two (one for each eye) 1920x1200 90hz panels and the game has to run minimum at 90fps in order to avoid stuttering that happens on low persitance VR screens. And it has to do it on both screens at the same time.

But we could easily bake most of the meshes into groups and textures into several atlases. Luckily geometry is simple and textures are quite low. So reaching 90fps on a big world like that would not be a problem. Also Unity has other tools that could help to bring life back to city. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22765 It is quite easy to use.

But back to reality Confused
Currently to have a city one has to do it by hand. I went over the buildings and there are not that many of them. I would probably be able to get all the buildings in 2 months by importing and placing them manually. But there are also a lot of other details. Trees, lamps, signs and etc. These details are in thousands and would take another 4 months of tedious work just to place them. So it would be 6 months of manual labour before one could actually start working on building the application. This is something that i want to do very badly and if i was 10 years younger i would do it in heartbeat. But at this moment all my time is going to keep my VR dev business alive and i will probably not going to work on this at the moment. At least now i am aware of the technical challenges.

MWE and Sandbox are both wonderful tools. Sad part is that they almost do what needs to be done. They both are able to read the bin reference and lay out all its data correctly in the editor. Of course reading the data and trying bake and export them into another format is totally different beast. A beast that does not even need to exist if you just want to mod it on the Mafia engine (which is 13 years old technology)

Sorry for derailing with this post. I hope it was interesting to someone. Editor is a fantastic tool and i will still keep an eye for it. Who know what might happen in few years. Smile
Rinrynque

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

Wow this is super-awesome. Great job !
I was quite surprised to see that mafia still has a lot of players and modders, but this is beyond any expectation.
I downloaded the preview version, but I can't display occluders (box is greyed)
Is this normal ? I would like to make a non-performance-killing version of unlimited drawing distance mod (maybe a python script modifying all the scene2.bin and cache.bin), and this feature would be very useful to identify which occluders to delete and which ones to keep.
flovivi

262 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

good afternoon, fellows ;-)

I hope that you are still working on this tool that has the power of GOD! your work is really admirable and I wish you the best! hope to hear some news soon What?)

greetings from Austria!
lol200004

21 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

What is the latest version now? And is it possible it edit function of the Mafia?

There is a chance to release the program?
djbozkosz

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

1861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

Dear modders,

development of Sandbox is not terminated but paused due job.

Thanks for understanding.

Web | Youtube | Developer at
Damian7

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

When I try to download it there's an error 401 Cautious
AMadeMan

68 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: LS3D Sandbox Reply with quote

This Sandbox looks incredible. Very awesome! I wonder how many possibilities we'd have in modding Mafia if we had the original SDK. Though I glad these tools exist so its all possible just the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: