FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Throwing the baby out with the bath water
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

I posted this on the facebook poll, but I thought I would post it here too

We got rid of the spammers, yay. We also got rid of everyone else.....

the site is dead...no one is posting.

The problem here is that there are TWO mafiacscenes....and if one is difficult to log on to, or join...they will simply go to the other one

it is better to have spammers that you can cleran up later......than to have 1 posting in 5 days....in my opinion

Last edited by MatteoCapoletti on Tue May 21, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Robville

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

I spent about 6 hours removing them. Sorry, but I'm not in the mood of doing another swipe.

The only problem is our registration form protection. Untill this is improved we cannot open it unless it starts to get into a big mess again, because they register faster than we are aware of them.

www.Robville.net
MatteoCapoletti

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
I spent about 6 hours removing them. Sorry, but I'm not in the mood of doing another swipe.

The only problem is our registration form protection. Untill this is improved we cannot open it unless it starts to get into a big mess again, because they register faster than we are aware of them.

in the meantime, they are going to er that other place
AsaSK

8763 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

I can understand both points of view. Each side of the situation is equally as frustrating. Who is in charge of implementing this new captcha thing that we need?

The official Mafioso Mod thread
geran30

Site Staff
Site Staff

157 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Deus is but at the moment he is snowed under so he hasn't got a moment to himself let alone time to implement something to the site sadly but he should be back soon!

We're back.... For good!
Mr Robville

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

It's indeed a busy period for many of us unfortunately.

I am wondering who receives the contact messages from here:
http://mafiascene.com/modules.php?name=contact
I'm not surprised if people have tried contacting us but their messages end up nowhere.

I really wish we could get this registration form back up and running as soon as possible. But with the current circumstances we cannot simply reactivate it as it was.
From the one legit member we have about 20 spam members registering. It is not worth the count at the moment despite the fact that of course we need new members on which I fully agree.

MS.net has decided to take it's own path. So besides it's namesake it is a different website compared to here. If people really want to register there let them be.
If anyone really wants to join MS.com they will eventually return at the first chance they get. Hell, MS.com has been offline for about a year or something, and even after that period people came back Sticking out tongue

www.Robville.net
Mnich

Site Staff
Site Staff

46571 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

This situation with spammers is hard for all of us. But I disagree with one thing. MafiaScene is not dead, as long as we are here. Of course, I fully agree with the fact that registration should be restored.

Mr Robville wrote:
I am wondering who receives the contact messages from here:
http://mafiascene.com/modules.php?name=contact
I'm not surprised if people have tried contacting us but their messages end up nowhere.

Don't you think a good solution would be to create a second e-mail, which would be available to other people from the site staff?

Regarding to MS.net I don't understand one thing. Why they chose the name 'MafiaScene'? There are so many possibilities to name your site, but of course you have to steal a name from the popular one. Let us ignore the fact that original MS was off then. In my opinion they are not even creative. There should be only one MS. The ORIGINAL one. MafiaScene.com
Mr Robville

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

MS.net was launched in the period of MS.com's absense. It served as a replacement forum because no one had a clue if MS.com would ever return.
I appreciated that initiative as it offered 'refuge' to the members from MS.com that had nowhere else to go. but there were lots of people (and still are) that curse that website to hell with all heart.

If it wasn't for the backup from an elder MS administrator, MS.com would still remain unactive. I'm one of the few that doesn't bother both sites exist. Yes the name is the same, but who can you blame? there was no one spreading any word about MS.com's faith until only recently.
Since MS.com dropped from the sky I looked if the domain name became available regularly so I could purchase it. And I'm sure Joshua from MS.net did the same until he noticed it wasn't going to become available any time soon.
The intentions of MS.net were good and I think Josh is a great guy as well. He has always been very reasonable with me. It's unfair I think to blame him for anything since MS.com is back again.

About the contact form,
I offered the form from my own website when this one got locked, but since it's from a different and unrelevant website I was advised change it back to the one from MS.com. But now I'm starting to doubt if that was such a good decision as I'm afraid no one receives MS's contact mail.

www.Robville.net
MatteoCapoletti

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

I suppose Dues is the only one with access to the admin panel with the phpbb (assuming that is the system being used here.) Because that email could be easily changed. And participation levels easily set. allow new members but monitor their first posts..and only given them full rights when they have posted relevant content.

Yeah I know it takes time that none of you have...if you need a volunteer too look after the list....while I am also very busy I spend all day on the computer....just saying
Mr Robville

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Unfortunately yes, Deus is the only one who can access the database of MS.
I know there's a way to connect the StopForumSpam database to your registration form. This picks all spammers out of the database and stops them.

Practically every spammer that I removed was to be found within there.
The Ship Simulator Forum also uses this database and it works like a charm.

www.Robville.net
Luppi

1627 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
MS.net was launched in the period of MS.com's absense. It served as a replacement forum because no one had a clue if MS.com would ever return.
I appreciated that initiative as it offered 'refuge' to the members from MS.com that had nowhere else to go. but there were lots of people (and still are) that curse that website to hell with all heart.

If it wasn't for the backup from an elder MS administrator, MS.com would still remain unactive. I'm one of the few that doesn't bother both sites exist. Yes the name is the same, but who can you blame? there was no one spreading any word about MS.com's faith until only recently.
Since MS.com dropped from the sky I looked if the domain name became available regularly so I could purchase it. And I'm sure Joshua from MS.net did the same until he noticed it wasn't going to become available any time soon.
The intentions of MS.net were good and I think Josh is a great guy as well. He has always been very reasonable with me. It's unfair I think to blame him for anything since MS.com is back again.

About the contact form,
I offered the form from my own website when this one got locked, but since it's from a different and unrelevant website I was advised change it back to the one from MS.com. But now I'm starting to doubt if that was such a good decision as I'm afraid no one receives MS's contact mail.

Well, the e-mails sent to our support address work, but somehow somebody keeps deleting them and they all end up in "Deleted Messages". I have just created a couple of usernames for people that requested them, but there were still a couple in the deleted messages box that were pretty old. I would really like to know who checks and DELETES messages without creating the usernames as well.

On another note, I see that many spamers use gmail addresses, so it can be really frustrating and virtually impossible to defend against ALL spam. My point of view for now is that we should keep the registrations locked until Chris is here and we figure out a way to implement better security. We currenty DO HAVE captcha working, but most spam bots find ways to get around them as well, and some of them are even using our contact form, so they really do learn and adapt.

Finally, I think MafiaScene.com has always attracted a better type of user or person than any of it's counterparts. The fact that this site is so slow isn't due to people not registering, although it is really off-putting. Many of us have exams, work or other personal issues that we need to work around and Mafia has really become a relic that only we treasure by now, so the problem is the users that we have and which are quality do not really hang around the site to post. I don't really think 30 registrations per day of which 25 are spam would really liven the site up, so I'd concentrate on pestering users to not forget about us and keep coming back to post. Also consider that since registrations were locked down there have been only four user requests in our inbox, so you have to actually question how many people would have joined if the registrations would be open.
Hunter

1553 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

geran30 wrote:
Deus is but at the moment he is snowed under so he hasn't got a moment to himself let alone time to implement something to the site sadly but he should be back soon!

Hey, Mafia Scene is really back!
geran30

Site Staff
Site Staff

157 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
geran30 wrote:

Yes we are and we ain't going nowhere.

We're back.... For good!
Hunter

1553 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

geran30 wrote:
Hunter wrote:

Yes we are and we ain't going nowhere.

Not unless you need Chris.

Smirking
MatteoCapoletti

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Throwing the baby out with the bath water Reply with quote

Hey Modders and Others, lets get some postings up...even if its not entirely new....its new to mafiascene reborn

Lets prime the engine and see if we can't get this place rocking again

(thanks for the Idea Asa)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Site Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: