FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoggster

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Coming back here has reignited my passion for Mafia 1 and it got me thinking about the comparison between the two Mafia games.

I enjoyed Mafia 2 and the improved graphics were welcome but as a whole I think Mafia 1 trumps it by a massive amount.

Tommy as a character was fantastic a real rags to riches through crime story and the development of his personality (innocent natured to unthinking brutal thug) as the story progressed. in Mafia 2 I enjoyed Joe's character but I think the rest of them were left lacking.

The real winner for me though was Lost Heaven, it had a genuine feeling and atmosphere with sights and sounds of the era giving it a life like touch.

With the addition of Free Ride and all the extra missions Mafia 1 has kept me coming back for more again and again, something that Mafia 2 never did for me. In a nutshell Mafia 1 makes me feel pasionate and that's a rare thing in gaming that doesn't come along very often.

What do you guys feel abouth them both?
hoggster

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Appologies, looks like I may posted in the wrong forum section. Maybe Mafia 1 would have been more appropriate.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276102 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

*moved http://mafiascene.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9024 Wink *

I have to say that for me Mafia CoLH will always be the better of the two
even with all the graphic enhancements with MII and PhysX. To me in Mafia
1 you got involved with the characters more. The possibilities of modding
the game have grown from strength to strength. Even today I am pleasantly
suprised at how much more Mafia CoLH can be modded. Not so much with
Mafia II. So in all Mafia CoLH has more character and emotion, Mafia II is just
a game.

MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

964 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

My biggest thing Mafia 2 is it could have been great! You can see the design elements there. but instead of the recalcitrant Tommy being dragged further into the deception you get....

"Hey Vito...you wanna sell some drugs and break the Omerta"

"Eh sure why not"

So much was in Mafia 2 but the characters and the stories flattened out

I guess it was more real to life....because in life these guys are pretty lame.

It just could have been so much more.....and if we could have decently modded it...oy
lostinmafia_heavenMS

114 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

MAFIA 2 is a great game overall, MAFIA though is on a whole different level, as it is to most games.

M2 stayed true to the MAFIA tag, imo.
Johncena1

167 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Hmm.. I think Mafia 1 as I played that ten billion times and never really got bored of it. Whereas M2 I played 3 times and I got bored of it
linukkis

1226 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

I think I'd give Mafia II no lower rating than Mafia I. I have never ever been into any game as much as I was in Mafia II. It just felt so amazing playing that game. And the story?.. I dunno, some say that it was rubbish, but I think of it as really interesting. For me both these games are equally incredible. Let's wait and see what the future holds with Mafia III Laughing
naughtyboy

35 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Let's say that Mafia 1 attracts me more nowadays because of excellent storyline, plenty of secrets and many great mods.

It's one of the best games EVER Cool shades

Mr Salieri sends his regards!

Last edited by naughtyboy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
linukkis

1226 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

naughtyboy wrote:
Let's say that Mafia 1 attracts me more nowadays because of excellent storyline, plenty of secrets and many great mods.

It's one of the best games EVER Cool shades

No doubt about that Smile
Deusiah

Site Staff
Site Staff

150 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Still a Mafia 1 fan here. To be honest I haven't got round to finishing Mafia 2 yet but will someday. This thread could do with having a poll Smile

PITEK

Site Staff
Site Staff

823 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Mafia II could be a great game, but all the directors, managers and accountants told the authors to cut or delete quite a lot things and sell them as the DLCs.
I really like this game: the graphics, realism, cars, soundtracks and the whole city, but the greed of 2K Czech makes me mad.
Mafia I is different. It was released as a full game without any DLCs, the add-ons were created by fans. For me Mafia 1 still has something special in it; even after few years I sometimes play this game. Cool shades
naughtyboy

35 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Of course you cannot forget about great soundtrack in this game Cool shades

Mr Salieri sends his regards!
Mercury7

3 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

I can find pro's and con's with both. However Mafia 1 has definitely left a far greater impression compared to the sequel. I still find the story and the storytelling in the original Mafia to be one of the best ever told.
Mafia 2 clearly lacked in that department but partially made up for it by having a superb soundtrack and better gameplay (to each his own of course). Both games have a fantastic sense of atmosphere though, i loved the countryside in Mafia 1 and i loved the snowy beginnings of Mafia 2.

In the end i like both games for different reasons so yeah. Smirking
RubyDragon949

719 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven all the way I am afraid.

It is now nearly 11 years old and I still mod/play it daily. It really is a treasured possession of mine that I have had for more than half my life. Everything about the game is perfect. The driving, combat, characters, story, city everything! and as a playground for modders, it is just a massive toy-box with absolutely endless possibilities Very happy

Mafia II however, much like Matteo said. Is just a sad tale. You can see that Illusion really tried to make it good, but due to time restraints (but you'd still think 8 YEARS! would be enough Sarcastic ) it was poorly executed.

The game has so much potential, anyone can see it. And the first half of the game (up to Chapter 7) is done in true Mafia style. After that, it just dies out into GTA or something (although I still love Chapter 10 - Room Service. Its the only time I play Mafia II just to indulge in the nostaligia of that first gameplay footage we all ever saw Smile )

Such a crying shame. But I am frankly done with repeating myself about how sad I am about the game over and over again.

So yeah, in closing. Mafia: TCoLH forever!

Regards

*Ruby*

The Commission Mod

The Robbery Mod

The Gangster Life Mod

Regards

*Ruby*
menju

85 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Mafia 1 or 2 favourite game? Reply with quote

At the beginning I was truly glad of having Mafia II, and for I while I could not stop playing it... I loved all the improvements that made it look better than Mafia I, radio stations, more realistic cops, the city, great cars...
But after a while I realised... this is it, it does not change, there is no way to mod it, to import other cars, to mess with skins... just endless repetiton of the same thing over and over again... and that steam connection to internet... it really kills it!
So for me in the long run, Mafia I is better, it was a love at the first sight, i never forget my first time playing it... I do not remember my first time with Mafia II though... so I guess it is really clear.
And one thing that really pisses me off in Mafia II... you have cabs there, you can drive them as much as you want, but you can no longer pick passengers, and drive them around. I miss that feature of Mafia I more than anything else... it was my chill-out practice for a decade, now it is gone... Impossible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: