FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

I'm about 6 or 8 missions in & I thought I'd give my opinion of this new game.

It's a lot more different that I expected. I guess you could call it a reboot with new content. I actually prefer the original actors/ voices/accents. I don't know why they made Pauly so weird looking. The graphics & gameplay are awesome. The driving is better. On the normal setting that is I haven't tried the others. I finished the race mission in one go. Which was kind of disappointing. I'll have to play it again & do it a little different. I like the driving part of the game.

Some of the movements are pretty clunky. I don't like that you have to use Q for the baseball bat. Why not just use LB or the fire button? The weapon wheel is terrible. I'd prefer being able to use the mouse wheel (I had to remap the middle mouse button to a keyboard letter for the weapon wheel) &/or the keyboard numbers for different weapons or weapon groups. Since they were pretty much remaking the game they should have IMO used the mechanics of Mafia II.

So there's good & bad like any game. I'll have more to say when I finish it. What do you think?
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

I never said this anywhere on MafiaScene because it seems that I don't share my unpopular opinion with most of the community, but I really loved it. The original Mafia is my favorite game ever and holds such a special place in my heart, so it would make sense for me to be picky and b!tch about the reboot, how it misses some details, how things have changed and so on. But you know what? When I played Mafia: DE I was overrun by the same ecstatic emotions that I felt when I first played Mafia 1.

What else made this possible if not my nostalgia glasses? But I didn't care - I loved it for what it was, loved to see the beauty of Lost Heaven backed by amazing visuals, loved to relive the story, loved the cars, the missions, pretty much everything. Yeah they could've worked on some characters a bit more, yeah they could've let us do some side jobs for Luca Bertone, of course they could've let us play every part that was playable in the original instead of covering some bits with cutscenes, and a few other things. These are improvements that won't see the light of day, but I will never think that's enough to bash this game as harshly as some fans tend to.

Playing the remake I could often feel the love that the devs put into it, and not once did I think they were just doing their job making minimal effort. The times have changed, the standards have changed, and I believe nowadays you often gotta appeal to a much wider audience than some 20 years ago if you want your game to succeed. And it probably just so happens that that audience is a tad more generic than it was in 2002.

In any case, I understand the criticism that this game got from some long-time fans of the franchise, and they definitely don't have to like Mafia: DE. As for me, I also didn't like it. I loved it.
Dude

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Thanks for contributing to my thread @linukkis. I was beginning to think this forum was dead.

I am still working through it for the 1st time & I do like it. Like you I really liked the 1st one also & it probably was my favourite, until the 2nd came out. Although there was things in the 1st that I missed in the 2nd. Like being able to ride the street cars. I'm not sure if you can do that in DE but I doubt it. I am looking forward to riding the motorcycle. Very happy And like I said the driving in DE is about 100% better than the 1st.

So you're saying there aren't the side jobs that were in the 1st?
Hunter

2359 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Dude wrote:
Thanks for contributing to my thread @linukkis. I was beginning to think this forum was dead.

Whatever gives you that idea? Smirking

Dude wrote:
And like I said the driving in DE is about 100% better than the 1st.

What is better with the driving?
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Dude wrote:
So you're saying there aren't the side jobs that were in the 1st?

Damn, I might've jumped the gun here with the spoilers, but I think since you've already passed the race and met Luca Bertone, you've probably noticed he never gave you any car jobs. I suppose it wouldn't really make much sense to have to play them anyway because as far as I've tried you can unlock any car on the streets as it is.

I think I liked the feeling of driving in Mafia 1 just a little better, somehow it felt, I dunno... more fleshed-out? It even had clutch support which for a non-racing game from 2002 is just incredible Very happy But what I loved much more in the remake was camera control while using the hood cam - I set up my makeshift analog thumbstick on my makeshift sequential gear-shifter that I used with the wheel to simulate pushing the mouse around the X and Y axes, which let me look left and right at intersections so much better than Mafia 1. It gives you much better angles instead of fixed views at 90 degrees left/right. Thinking
Dude

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Quote:
But what I loved much more in the remake was camera control while using the hood cam - I set up my makeshift analog thumbstick on my makeshift sequential gear-shifter that I used with the wheel to simulate pushing the mouse around the X and Y axes, which let me look left and right at intersections so much better than Mafia 1. It gives you much better angles instead of fixed views at 90 degrees left/right. Thinking

Do tell how you set the pad up to look left & right. I'd love to do that. I always cruise through intersections or turn without looking. I'd love to be able to simulate I was actually looking. Very happy

I was wondering about side jobs as after the race Lucas did say to stop by he might have something for me so i figured he would have other side jobs like in the original.

The more I play the more I'm liking DE.
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Dude wrote:
Do tell how you set the pad up to look left & right.

I used a small program called AntiMicro which lets you map connected controllers to any keyboard or mouse input. So I basically set my thumbstick's X axis to invoke virtual horizontal mouse movement, and then I assigned vertical mouse movement to the thumbstick's Y axis. Hit save, leave the app open and enjoy the game Wink

Dude wrote:
I'd love to be able to simulate I was actually looking.

I think it's not just simulation, you're also making sure NPCs don't wreck your Lassiter

Dude wrote:
I was wondering about side jobs as after the race Lucas did say to stop by he might have something for me

This really got my hopes up too. I kept waiting and waiting until after some mission he'd give me a job, only to never see him again Sad
Dude

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

One other thing I noticed is missing is the original music. I wonder why they didn't use it.

I love all the music from I & II. I've collected all of it & listen to it all the time.

I love the eras actually. Maybe that's why i like these games so much.

I'm sure you'll know this one. Django - Belleville
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255940 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

@Linukkis,

I'm sorry if it seemed that it this place requires all to hate on the game. Although many of us had higher expectations, I'm very glad that you still voiced your love for it, and I'd recommend anyone else to do the same. No one here is going to try and convince you otherwise.

The criticism may have clouded the positive aspects of the game. Because the remake is indeed undeniably a very good game. And there are many signs that the devs díd put their heart into it.

In my case, the disappointing aspects were simply because this game is marketed as the Definitve Edition of the original Mafia. For that, I simply expected them to stick more to the source material. If this were a different game entirely, I would've enjoyed it more. So yes, perhaps you could say nostalgia has clouded my opinion.

www.robville.net
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
I'm sorry if it seemed that this place requires all to hate on the game.

No no, Rob, it's okay, don't apologize Smile I never though that. I'm glad folks here expressed their concerns about the game and I perfectly understand and acknowledge the criticism - some of it I think is well deserved, especially considering the size of shoes Mafia: DE had to fill. I just suppose it doesn't invoke such bad emotions inside me Laughing Still, thanks for saying this, I do appreciate it

@Dude

Yeah, at first I expected them to put the same songs in as well. I suppose they faced some copyright / legal issues, but I'm not sure, never really looked into it. But the songs they did put in create pretty much the same atmosphere like the original music. I'm glad they play songs by musicians like Django Reinhardt and Duke Ellington Wink
Mr Robville

255940 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

I'm really glad we can have have these discussions. Smile

As for the soundtrack. Legal problems is something very much possible. It even happens to existing games on Steam that soundtracks get removed in a patch, simply because the licenses have expired. Besides, if one were to buy the original Mafia on Steam, he'd witness the absence of all licensed music as well. So I wouldn't be surprised that the record labels are being a pain.

I couldn't resist though on occasion to turn off the ingame radio, and play an original city tune in the background. The game immediately hit my nostalgia nerves like a ton of bricks.

While we're at it, here are things I really liked about the DE;
Aside of the graphics and such, as we'd hoped, the race mission is lightyears better than the original. The timer mission was still frustrating, but the actual mission gave me a good laugh, and I loved the comments from other drivers as I crashed into them. A few attempts on classic mode I didn't even mind.

Also the prison mission itself I found more interesting, and I really liked the homeless aspect they included, that not all NPC's were enemies. It gave the enemies a lot more sense to be there.

In general, I found the overal dress up of areas quite well done.

Story wise, as much as I couldn't get into various characters, the addition of random dialogue at the bar or during a drive is something I wished was in the original more, and warmly welcomed in the DE.

To veer off a little bit to the criticism side, for some odd reason, the city felt more compacted compared to the original. Maybe it was the lack of details in the original that made everything look wider, but especially areas like the airport felt very close to LH's vicinity for some reason.

www.robville.net
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Haha, yeah, the streets sure felt a lot more cramped in Mafia: DE. I think it's due to the highly detailed world, just like you said, because there's just so much more stuff lying around Laughing As for the random dialog lines, yeah, I loved it so much. They always make games much more life-like, much more lively.

The prison level was actually even scary as at some point I felt like I was descending into a hideout of some cult. When I figured out these were just homeless and/or psychologically challenged people, I wasn't sure whether to do them harm (looked like they could jump me any second) or just let them be as they're suffering enough. I love it when games put you in a situation like this Smile

Thanks for chiming in, Mr Robville, I'm glad you were also able to enjoy some parts of the remake By the way, how did you like the boat mission? Seemed to me like the remake version was much more action-packed and fleshed-out. I also loved that Sam and Paulie walked Tom to the boat, and Paulie even said something like "look at you, doing honest work for once" when Tom put the sailor's overalls on Laughing
Dude

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Well I'm at the 1st mission to give me much trouble. A Trip to the Country. That's the one you & Pauley go to a farm to pick up some whiskey from some Canadian smugglers. I happen to live on an island on Lake Ontario that was used for smuggling whiskey from back then. And does a little smuggling still but from the US now.

Great mission but I don't remember it being quite this difficult in the original. Which is perfectly fine. I'm at the "Protect Sam" part & I've probably tried it 5 or 6 times now. Wish I had a couple more molotovs. I've got some ideas how to try it next time. Had to take a break. Very happy

Having a lot of fun. Smile
Mr Robville

255940 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

linukkis wrote:
By the way, how did you like the boat mission? Seemed to me like the remake version was much more action-packed and fleshed-out. I also loved that Sam and Paulie walked Tom to the boat, and Paulie even said something like "look at you, doing honest work for once" when Tom put the sailor's overalls on Laughing

I forgot to mention that one, I was looking forward to this mission most because it's my most memorable one from the original. I really liked the overal set dressing, especially at the docks with all the grandeur around it and the inclusion of Paulie and Sam.

Although it made sense for the setting, I kinda hoped that I could get into the diner and get drunk on board like in the original. Though, that's just another nostalgic aspect.

The only criminal offence was the absence of Coucou. Something tells me the record label of Django Reinhardt has recently got a stick up a certain spot where a noticeable absence of sunlight is recalled.

Jokes aside though, as for the increased action, I felt generally the same about it in most missions, and is something I do much prefer in the original, or lack thereof, I should say.
The very thing I loved about the missions in Mafia was that it struck a very nice balance between shootouts and calmer/tense missions that mostly relied on the environment. On the steamer, you only had to kill the politician and then GTFO as fast as you could. The buildup to that moment and the swift escape afterward made the mission entirely unique from the rest of the game and was more than enough to serve it. It didn't require a huge shootout.

Same could be said for Visiting Rich People. I really wished they gave you the option to trigger the alarm accidentally or disable it so that you had to sneak out again. In the original, that feeling of freedom once you jump back over the fence again after tensely sneaking around for so long is very memorable, and I still love it to this day. When the shootout happened in DE, I was like "Aww shit, here we go again". Which is a shame, because prior to that I found the mission quite atmospheric, and I loved the banter with Salvatore.

In my opinion, what made the missions good in Mafia 1 wasn't the shooting. Because let's face it, the shooting mechanics just sucked. But it were the very parts that didn't require shooting. Even in missions like The Death of Art, I loved how huge that museum was, and that you could easily get lost in it during first playthrough. In the DE, the building was cropped interior wise for a more linear action packed shootout. Maybe that part bummed me out more because I've visited the actual gallery in Vienna, and it's nearly 1:1 identical in the original and oozes the same vastness that it does in the game. It didn't feel that way in the DE unfortunately.

www.robville.net
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1376 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your opinion of the Definitive Edition? Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
The only criminal offence was the absence of Coucou.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. I anticipated this song so bad and was quite let down when it wasn't there. As for the rest of what you said, I totally agree with everything. There was a lot more action in DE, and sometimes it just felt a bit too much. After the boat assassination I was like "Aight let's bounce" like in the good old times and then was immediately overwhelmed with gunfire, which took a few retries and quite a few minutes to get past. And then just like you I woulda wanted to sneak stealthily through the villa with Salvatore. I kept looking for the Silver Fletcher in the backyard but seems the prosecutor has changed his taste for cars in DE. I wish they'd put details like that in the remake Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: