FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter

2349 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Interesting replies. I very rarely get down to new games these days, and it's even more rare I buy them. I don't recall the last game I bought.

I skipped Mafia 2 and 3, partly out of conviction that they wouldn't maintain the integrity of the style of Mafia (maybe they couldn't for whatever reason) and details of how the games were "updated" whereas the sophistication of gameplay mechanics and the story are not "updates" but just the essence of what a sequel is. When it's not even the same developer making the sequel and not even in the same decade, well, ...good luck with that.

Not that I am a snob, necessarily about gameplay mechanics. I can enjoy achivements and play GTA (well, I've only tried the first one Laughing ) but, I regard those games differently and of a more pulp entertainment role and less of a finely crafted piece of gameplay and storytelling. No, Mafia isn't perfect. But it's damn good and its interface is sophisticated and stylish.

And I will be skipping over this too. I don't doubt it is fun, most games are. I do find the whole premise to be at odds with my values. Maybe if they didn't call it "definitive," but "Remake Edition" I would look at it more on its own terms. Mafia surely needed something like a new engine or textures, you know, a really faithful redo, for the young people who are buying games today. Maybe that is what this is, I don't know and won't find out.

I struggle a bit to feel like a luddite when I reject all new things out of hand. I tell myself that isn't really it. Last new game I played was Void Bastards. Very fun, some issues with it, but gameplay ain't one of 'em. I just like cool stuff, not new stuff.

I think the 3 best games ever (in no order, different genres cannot be compared) are Mafia, Betrayal at Krondor and Deus Ex. Those are old freakin' games. Remaking them as new games will not change the list, because it is to an extent "the way they are" that makes them what they are. It's like saying we're going to remake Shakespeare (he has been paraphrased) or Hemingway. You could, but whatever crap you produce will never eclipse the monumental text on which your petty effort was based.

ANYWAY, hope those who are playing are enjoying this Mafia themed game and I hope for your sake the driving model is good and that there's a manual.
nesquik

74 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

The game is a little bit freezing on my PC, when I turn in a car or a number of objects is rapidly increase, for instance in the center of the city. What's more important: cpu or a video card?! I have 24' monitor, core i5 3Ghz and gtx 1060 3Gb. My suggestion is my vRAM is not enough to handle the graphics on the high level.
kushalmattio

46 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Hanger 13 have released an update for Mafia definitive edition. It includes taxi driving, ambulance driving and Racing with any owned car. Check it out guys. Racing also includes - Car weapon, Nitro booster, Dynamite and Oil split.
arbitrarymobster

95 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Neat update; now you can do even more driving, but of course not using a steering wheel and pedals... that wouldn't make sense at all...
huckleberrypie

432 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

nesquik wrote:
The game is a little bit freezing on my PC, when I turn in a car or a number of objects is rapidly increase, for instance in the center of the city. What's more important: cpu or a video card?! I have 24' monitor, core i5 3Ghz and gtx 1060 3Gb. My suggestion is my vRAM is not enough to handle the graphics on the high level.

What Core i5 model are you using? VRAM is also another factor, though from my experience the game stutters if you traverse through busier parts of the city, but it is far more stable if you stand still, travel on foot or go through the countryside. Some chalk it up to the engine not being as well-optimised, but quad-cores ain't having it easy these days. :/
nesquik

74 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:
What Core i5 model are you using?

Core-i5 7400 3GHz. Thanks.

Quote:
ambulance driving

I was so disappointed when I didn't find the first aid box in the hospital Sad but now, we could fix our health in an ambulance car, isn't It?
LeroyPeterson

3035 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Patch notes include:
Quote:
Use these new options to customize the in-game HUD if, for example, you want to make your explorations of Lost Heaven feel less guided or take a particularly pleasing screenshot:
- Switch the in-world main objective marker on/off.
- Switch mini-map enemy markers on/off on all difficulty settings. (Previously enemy markers were always on outside of Classic Mode.)
- Switch navigation features like turn-by-turn instructions and the mini-map GPS on/off.
- Enable the new Minimal HUD mode to hide HUD elements including the mini-map, the speedometer, and objective text while playing.

Thank god for that...

Also, regarding using a steering wheel: the fact they included a button for a clutch makes me think its possible?
The controls are made with controllers in mind, so steering axis from a joystick could be re-mapped to a wheel?
huckleberrypie

432 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

nesquik wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:
What Core i5 model are you using?

Core-i5 7400 3GHz. Thanks.

Quote:
ambulance driving

I was so disappointed when I didn't find the first aid box in the hospital Sad but now, we could fix our health in an ambulance car, isn't It?

That's roughly equal if not slightly better than the Ryzen 3 2200G I'm using. I was able to get mostly straight-sixty frames per second in the countryside where there's no one in the way.
nesquik

74 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I have two instances of Sarah in the last mission before a visit at the Paulie's home place...

has this bug already known?!
madmaxgamer

83 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Finished the game myself.

You can see the "I'm just doing my job" of the developers smeared all over it, as opposed to the old devs "this is fun, lets put it in". The only upgrades are of course,
story and character realism and graphics, but with a big asterisk :
Aside from the obvious steps forward, theres a few steps back. Devs can't seem to stop themselves from making everything shiny and clean. If Mafia1 had 1% of the surfaces shiny, Mafia DE has 99% of the surfaces shiny. Also, there is no permanence to the traffic like in Mafia 1, things vanish like in GTA, cars don't show up in the courtyard, city seems to have a grey/blue filter to it, and somehow seems more devoid of life than Mafia 1 was... even though it has way more detail. Also, looks big but is somehow smaller, with less space to drive, and its bushes are made of titanium. Cars have no textures, just the usual "GTAV" thing that most open world games do these days : vertex paint. Basically means game paints the car whichever color you want with no texture cost. Thats why they are all clean and without much detail.
Cars drive better than expected, but the camera almost ruins it, and cars still screech and scream when sliding like Mafia 3,as in way too much. Camera ruins any colisions by shaking way too much. Every little bump makes you vomit and screen turns red.
I didn't mind the story changes, some of them worked, some didn't. Over explaining things kinda ruins some of the atmosphere. And dialog, you can see they went for quantity rather than quality. Characters all have their problems, Tommy talks almost comically gangsterish through the whole story. One dimensional performance. Paulie looks borderline unreal, Sam looks hastily slapped together.
The atmosphere is ruined. Radio feels like the 1950s, hearing police scanners feels odd. Game just feels like Mafia 3 with a 1930s coat. And the next one, will feel just like this one. And the one after that, and the one after that.
Thanks for taking out Bertones missions, was really looking forward to those. Fork you. Thanks for taking out Freeride Extreme, was really looking forward to those. Fork you. Thanks for not bothering putting in the lost city circuits, gotta do the bare minimum i guess. Fork you. I'm sure some of these things will show up as DLC, fork you. Thanks for having like 4 prototypes, while the old team managed 20-something. Fork you. Thanks for being a cynical cold moneygrubbing product making developer/publisher that puts no heart and soul into your projects. Fork you.
You can characterize this game with this : One step forward, two steps back. Thats is.
Hunter

2349 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:
Finished the game myself.

Also, there is no permanence to the traffic like in Mafia 1, things vanish like in GTA

Sounds like a lot of issues, but FYI traffic does despawn in MAFIA. The distance is shorter when you're not looking at it. I think it's a specific parameter you can change.

But back to the real world, you can set it super high, but the game only spawns so many cars at once. In this case you just never see more traffic because it's still where you left it. Or if you do that and add more traffic LS3D will grind to a halt if you have dozens of cars driving far away and you keep adding more. It's a very pragmatic and simplistic simulation of traffic - just the same as pedestrians.

It is sad though how the detail of the gameplay gets lost and...I don't even really know how to describe it. It's not like IS weren't graphics whores. They were and the Mafia we know today is a result of them pushing the outer limits in 2001.

All I can say is, they had good taste.
Dujk

578 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Classic mode is a joke ,realism wise there is no upgrade.Finished A Trip to country mission with a bat only,all the noise Tommy makes and guys can't spot him,just cover around the corner wait and knock'em out one by one ,exactly like m3.
n0ughty_b0y

51 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

finally completed my big detail comparison
I think it will amuse you guys even if you know most of them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: