FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmaxgamer

65 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

Mafia 1 seems to be a remake, not a remaster. As in, keep basic ideas, names, locations, characters, etc... but the story, the missions, mission structure and most of the city, could be totally different.
Still, very excited. It looks amazing, hope they don't screw up the car controls... god please no Mafia 3 type controls...
nesquik

50 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

Hey, guys, my congratulations for all fans of the greatest pc game of all times! I hope It won't be delayed like some projects in the past and we're going to play It very soon. I also hope that everyone of us wouldn't be disappointed with the result of this new project. In my opinion, It's like to meet very good friends after the years and say "How're you doing?!". I believe modding could be also refreshed and this time developers give us some devkit and one more thing... maybe we're finally going to get multiplayer for Mafia 1?! Smile
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

619 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SO Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:

For us hardcore fans, I wonder if they'll stick to the original story, or make a different one set in the same timeline. I can imagine they would steer clear from the original story because of the inevitable comparison it will have with the original.

The description on the Microsoft Store page (that has seemingly been taken down now) stated
Quote:

faithfully recreated, with expanded story, gameplay and original score. This is the Mafia you remembered and so much more

which suggests it will feature an extended version of the original story (so more intermezzos/chapters and side missions maybe).

Mr Robville wrote:

And, the line he says about family doesn't make a lot of sense considering M1's story was about the "right man in the wrong place" who was forced to do the things he did.

Yes, that made me curious how they will portray Tommy in the remake. That line in the teaser sounds like the family-spin from Mafia 3 and doesn't really fit the character in my opinion, at least not as we know him from the original game. On the other hand we of course don't know the story context of that cutscene (?) yet so maybe it does fit once we get to see the full picture. Maybe he's referring to Sarah and his daughter. Guilty (Yes, I doubt that, too)

Hunter wrote:

It's a really scandalous thing, to me, to take a creative work and then revise it for commercial gain, declaring that it creatively supercedes and makes obsolete and redundant the work which inspired the "definitive" version.
<snip>
A merchant has no business declaring what is definitive.

Yeah, that's marketing for you. Maybe 2K's marketing division thought that simply attaching a Remastered (in case of Mafia 2 and 3) was not impactful enough. In case of Mafia 1 they could have simply gone with Mafia like other publishers did with their remakes. We could then attach an informal (2020) to tell the versions apart.
lostinmafia_heavenMS

202 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

Yes yes and yes.. Not too happy with H13, but this is what we all wanted, a makeover of Mafia and (maybe) the complete Mafia II game.

Long live MAFIA salute.
AMadeMan

508 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

Unless if Hangar 13 learned from Mafia 3's mistakes, I'm gonna be mindful before I consider any purchase. The bulk of original developers that created Mafia 1 and 2 are pretty much all gone, so I'm not sure if they can truly do justice for the Mafia 1 Remake unless if they took their time with quality. (The director of Mafia 3 never played or studied the first two games to understand the series' essence during Mafia 3's development)

I just remembered djbozkosz now works at Hangar 13. Maybe he is one of the developers of the Mafia Trilogy Remaster.... Wink
Olik

6 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SO Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Unless if Hangar 13 learned from Mafia 3's mistakes, I'm gonna be mindful before I consider any purchase. The bulk of original developers that created Mafia 1 and 2 are pretty much all gone, so I'm not sure if they can truly do justice for the Mafia 1 Remake unless if they took their time with quality. (The director of Mafia 3 never played or studied the first two games to understand the series' essence during Mafia 3's development)

I just remembered djbozkosz now works at Hangar 13. Maybe he is one of the developers of the Mafia Trilogy Remaster.... Wink

Hangar 13 studio still employs approximately 200 people in the Czech branch of the former 2K Czech, many of these people worked on the development of the Mafia and also Mafia II. This branch is responsible for the development of the Mafia remake.
Kaminsky

167 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

Well guys its seem to be this was another "trailer" i don't know anybody post it yet but here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFKqWE5Ios

And yeah also , its official now , the Mafia 1 DEFINITIVE EDITION is going to use Mafia 3 engine !

Well don't know really what to say about it , i hope Hangar 13 learned the lesson.. Shocked
madmaxgamer

65 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

The graphics look absolutely amazing... but... there are several ways H13 can screw this up. I've grown bitter over the years with all the disappointments many developers have given us, and surprises in gaming are few and far between these days... Mafia 1 is my favourite game, among hundreds. I'm either about to have a second first playthrough on my favourite game or a trampling of my childhood. If its the second, i think this is the way it will happen.

1. Empty city. Theres a lot of detail in those screenshots, but if theres like 3-4 cars on the road, then its pointless, it will break immersion. 2002 Mafia could get away with having 8-9 cars on the road at all time, these days that doesnt work anymore. Same goes for pedestrians.

2. Bombastic shitfest. H13 has a tendency, at least in Mafia 3, to make every car explode and crash with the slightest bump. Same goes for destructible assets.

3. Rocket cars. Mafia 1 was known for being slow, where you had to be patient to get somewhere. It also made you appreciate the cars you got later on and gave you a sense of progression. I doubt H13 can refrain themselves from making every car go fast.

4. No Freeride Extreme. Just when you thought you were done with Mafia 1, you would find Freeride Extreme, and it would be like another entirely new game, with exciting and unique missions. These days devs hardly ever take chances like that. And if they do, they sell it as overpriced DLC. This is still 2K we are talking about after all...

5. Poor car variety. Mafia 1`s extensive model variety (fordor, tudor, etc) gave it a sense of realism. I fear they arent going to bother with that, just put in 15-20 models of cars, and be done. Not to mention the vast garage of cars that Freeride Extreme gave you. How many prototypes that were a god damn joy to collect were they ? Jesus...

6. Saliery garage. Another thing i enjoyed was seeing saliery`s garage get filled up more and more with every mission. I think they might abandon that for the remake, to a Mafia 2 approach where you see one car at a time.

7. Missions. The missions in Mafia 1 were so damn unique. A hotel assassination, a boat party, a jail break in and sniper kill, a race, a stealth mission, an infiltration mission, a midnight stroll turned bad, etc etc etc... I fear they will abandon all that, and just make every mission be : go to location, kill everyone, come back. Drive, shoot, the end.

8. Story. I think they will scrap that altogether. You will see glimmers of things from the original Mafia 1. Oh look, that car. Oh look, that character. Oh look, that location. But i think not one scene will be the same. Which means the story, will also be different. Sure, it might go from Cab driver --> gangster --> Snitch --> killed by 2 guys in a red bolt. But I think that will be all the similarities.

I really really hope I'm wrong, i hope they didn't go for a quick buck. I hope they put the time and effort in making something decent. I hope they payed attention to details. I hope Tommy isn't an obnoxious prick and his voice actor isn't annoying. I hope can visit Lost Heaven and forget everything else exists, just like i did 20 years ago.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

278016 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

According to this ign article

release dates for Mafia II definitive edition May 19th
and Mafia Definitive Edition August 28.

I am going to keep shtum on this. Trailers and prerelease
screenshots always look inviting but on release the games
apart from the first game didn't really meet up with expectation.

Mafia Trilogy to be announced tomorrow on http://mafiagame.com

Hunter

2319 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SO Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:

3. Rocket cars. Mafia 1 was known for being slow, where you had to be patient to get somewhere. It also made you appreciate the cars you got later on and gave you a sense of progression. I doubt H13 can refrain themselves from making every car go fast.

4. No Freeride Extreme. Just when you thought you were done with Mafia 1, you would find Freeride Extreme, and it would be like another entirely new game, with exciting and unique missions. These days devs hardly ever take chances like that. And if they do, they sell it as overpriced DLC. This is still 2K we are talking about after all...

5. Poor car variety. Mafia 1`s extensive model variety (fordor, tudor, etc) gave it a sense of realism. I fear they arent going to bother with that, just put in 15-20 models of cars, and be done. Not to mention the vast garage of cars that Freeride Extreme gave you. How many prototypes that were a god damn joy to collect were they ? Jesus...

6. Saliery garage. Another thing i enjoyed was seeing saliery`s garage get filled up more and more with every mission. I think they might abandon that for the remake, to a Mafia 2 approach where you see one car at a time.

7. Missions. The missions in Mafia 1 were so damn unique. A hotel assassination, a boat party, a jail break in and sniper kill, a race, a stealth mission, an infiltration mission, a midnight stroll turned bad, etc etc etc... I fear they will abandon all that, and just make every mission be : go to location, kill everyone, come back. Drive, shoot, the end.

8. Story. I think they will scrap that altogether. You will see glimmers of things from the original Mafia 1. Oh look, that car. Oh look, that character. Oh look, that location. But i think not one scene will be the same. Which means the story, will also be different. Sure, it might go from Cab driver --> gangster --> Snitch --> killed by 2 guys in a red bolt. But I think that will be all the similarities.

I really really hope I'm wrong, i hope they didn't go for a quick buck. I hope they put the time and effort in making something decent. I hope they payed attention to details. I hope Tommy isn't an obnoxious prick and his voice actor isn't annoying. I hope can visit Lost Heaven and forget everything else exists, just like i did 20 years ago.

That's a great point, about progression. The story, the sense of the passage of time (even though the city only changes slightly), the cars you earn, different music (another barely used technique in Mafia), and where your character is headed makes you invested in what happens.

I think there's a big "Italian guy" stereotype, unsure how real it is, but it was nice that everyone didn't sound like a thug from the movies. So Frank had a New York accent, Tommy didn't have much of an accent, Salieri also had a little east coast type accent. They didn't all sound like an Italian gang even if they were ethnically Italian.
Mr Robville

255869 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SO Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:

I think there's a big "Italian guy" stereotype, unsure how real it is, but it was nice that everyone didn't sound like a thug from the movies. So Frank had a New York accent, Tommy didn't have much of an accent, Salieri also had a little east coast type accent. They didn't all sound like an Italian gang even if they were ethnically Italian.

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping that the teaser just featured Paulie, since he was about the only one who had an accent like that.

@Madmaxgamer,
As much as I'd hate everything of that, what you listed sounds eerily realistic for developers to do these days. Especially if they haven't bothered to properly play the first game to grasp its essence, or even have people on the team who are passionate about it. Everyone knows what a song sounds like, but only a competent singer can sing it.
Though since Djbozkosz is on their team now, I do have some hope about the latter.

@ASM.
Exactly, if anything Tommy only did things for himself, which was the whole reason the story went the way it did. It would make no sense whatsoever for Tommy to say that everything he did was for the family, unless knowingly disobeying them and ratting them out was a noble thing in his eyes or something.

That storefront info does sound promising though. We'll just see what they bring.

But I'd suggest everyone to wait for reviews first before buying anything, and never falling for those pre-order bullshit schemes. (Goes for every game, really)

I bought Mafia 3 for €10,- or something about 9 months after its release, and guess what, it still had the pre order DLC with it, just like I predicted.

www.robville.net
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1314 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SO Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:

But I'd suggest everyone to wait for reviews first before buying anything, and never falling for those pre-order bullshit schemes. (Goes for every game, really)

I bought Mafia 3 for €10,- or something about 9 months after its release, and guess what, it still had the pre order DLC with it, just like I predicted.

This. It's simply absurd the way they're milking their cows, pre-order this and that for an "exclusive hot DLC". Or just have some patience and chances are you'll receive that DLC anyway Very happy
AMadeMan

508 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

I just checked, and it turns out it is free. You gotta restart the steam client and it will download it.

As to be expected, Mafia 2 Definitive Edition added nothing at all besides a graphical touch-up. No additional content in the slightest besides the DLCs was added. Such a missed opportunity and slap in the face to Mafia fans. I truly wished Mafia was in the hands of another company like THQ Nordic.

Hangar 13 just now announced that your mugshot can be in Mafia 1 Definitive Edition. That sounds cool I guess.
mikeszko

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

oh mein gott can't wait for this!
AMadeMan

508 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION COMING SOON Reply with quote

After playing through Mafia 2 Definitive Edition for a few hours, here are things I found:

- Sounds have been improved for things such as guns, which I guess sound ok.

- APEX cloth physics is disabled by default and cannot be toggled, but is present with the other APEX files in the game's directory

- Some buildings and areas look vastly improved with new textures and models

- Character models are indeed somewhat improved (Vito's hair is slick and smooth as hell)

Greavesy and the rest of us on the M2 toolkit discord have found new scrapped areas that were planned for the original just now; A gang hideout and a shooting range that was meant to be accessed through Harry's gun shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: