FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Appeal to the developers of programs for modding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melhior

564 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

Hi, everybody.

I want to appeal to the developers of software for modding. Why don't you put your source code on Github? Personally, it is hard for me to observe the development of a new program, and over time the author may disappear and all the developments with him. And also with the programs that came out, but the authors have no time to support them and add new functionality. The examples are not far to seek: djbozkosz and LS3DSandbox. An editor who could replace everything, but this did not happen because of the author's employment. And now djbozkosz does not even appear on the forum. Recent: Duelist and his plugins. Which we may not see. And apparently for the same reason.

You all know the Water Shader from Mr F. in Winter, the author posted the source code
Water Shader source code
and it is now possible to combine similar modification.

I hope that you will agree with this proposal and new source codes will appear in GitHub. Wink Who for this?
AMadeMan

437 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

Although I hope Duelist and djbozkosz will return one day (since djbozkosz is working along side Mr. Robville on the Titanic Mod and Shadowgun legends, its likely he's very busy), I like the idea of an official source code for Mafia's dev kit releasing.

Sadly I doubt this will happen. Mafia is in the hands of Take 2 (who are completely against modding) and I assume the tools of Mafia 1 and 2 are either in the hands of Hangar 13 (who merged with 2K Czech last year) or Take 2. I don't believe either side is at all willing to release their own dev tools for Mafia or Mafia 2 even with fan demand.
Melhior

564 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Although I hope Duelist and djbozkosz will return one day (since djbozkosz is working along side Mr. Robville on the Titanic Mod and Shadowgun legends, its likely he's very busy), I like the idea of an official source code for Mafia's dev kit releasing.

Sadly I doubt this will happen. Mafia is in the hands of Take 2 (who are completely against modding) and I assume the tools of Mafia 1 and 2 are either in the hands of Hangar 13 (who merged with 2K Czech last year) or Take 2. I don't believe either side is at all willing to release their own dev tools for Mafia or Mafia 2 even with fan demand.

You probably don't understand. I meant the source codes of programs such as: Mafia World Editor (ASM), M Editor (Petr Krumpolc) etc

LHMP has the source code on github. Mafia 2: Toolkit also. And nothing. From 2K there is no reaction. If there was a commercial basis, there would be problems. And once a commercial basis no, I don't see any problems to make a page on github.
AMadeMan

437 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

oh ok, thank you for the clear up. I at first thought you meant something official from 2K or Take 2.

I agree. Mafia World Editor and M Editor could use some fixes and additions especially since they haven't received much love in a long time. If the modders don't have the time, then others could get involved and take over or at least contribute.
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

489 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

Actually I have already thought about open-sourcing MWE but then there're still a few architectural aspects I'm not really content with and that I'd like to address first I think.

Contrary to what it might seem I still occasionally work on the editor. I'm currently mostly refactoring parts and adding minor features requested by fellow modders here. However the user-facing changes are fairly insignificant so far which is why I haven't bothered to release an official update yet.

I'm generally still interested to work on the editor since there's still a lot of untapped potential for improvements, both on Mafia/LS3D feature-side as well as general usability. My issues list currently contains about 180 items and covers one-liners down to more involved changes such as the switch to a programmable graphics pipeline for rendering. What keeps bugging me though is the question whether it's worth the effort and someone will use all that stuff in the end. After all what I have in mind here isn't just a bunch of minor fixes and tweaks but requires a bit of work to pull off. Mafiascene for example is quite silent currently which makes it hard to assess how much of a community is left who is willing to build mods for the game. At the same time I realize there're Mafia communities outside of Mafiascene and new/improved tools might lead to a renaissance. Thinking
Hunter

2242 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

There's no audience left, just passion projects! Sort of what I do for YouTube. I don't do it because I expect an audience or to be rewarded somehow. I do it because I wish to and it gratifies me.

That probably doesn't justify software development...but it depends on your own priorities.
ASM.

489 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

MWE is and has always been a passion project for me. However at the end of the day it's a tool and it's kinda odd to work on tools nobody uses. Laughing
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277792 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

*Moved to Ask a Modder Tools*

Hunter

2242 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
MWE is and has always been a passion project for me. However at the end of the day it's a tool and it's kinda odd to work on tools nobody uses. Laughing

I think you're amazing. But I don't use your tools and I can't gin up a community to appreciate and benefit from them.

It's ironic. In the old days we had a huge community and next to no mod tools. Texture swapping and car models was the height of what was possible. Now almost anything can be created, crammed into the old engine, given enough time and effort. But there is almost no audience to benefit from it.

It's inevitable; the MAFIA "franchise" as it were wasn't nurtured and nothing, however well done will hold peoples' interest forever. It just seems a shame that we spent years fantasizing about new areas, changing those hard limits, new gameplay modes while barely anything changed, and now that those rules are finally being changed, it doesn't matter any more. It's no longer a party to draw friends together and strangers in from afar. It's academic.

And MAFIA is no longer a popular game. It's just enjoyed by a few aging guys who loved it when it was released and "retro" Sarcastic game lovers (no offense guys, it's just a bitter feeling).

I'm sure you knew all that; I just like to babble about it.
Mr Robville

255861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

A valid concern I think.
Even though djbozkosz is involved with the Titanic mod's development, for me it has also gradually become harder to get in touch with him, which for me is concerning because only he knows how to solve some of the developing problems.

People such as him possess a wealth of information. If this information isn't passed on, the moment one of them quits the modding hobby, that information dies off, and we are at the mercy of someone else to re-invent the wheel once more.

www.robville.net
newto

88 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

It is wonderful that there is still interest in the game. I have a plethora of programs available throughout the years that I have found but little or no explanation of how to use them. Some have tutorials in other languages that can be translated, but most have not. I would love to see a resurgence of how to use the different tools to solve problems and create new ones.
mammix

2804 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

It takes me like a month to finally reply... I still want to write here, though, I hope that somehow we can make the forum a bit more alive. I really miss the old Internet, where people would write on websites like that, not FB and so on.

I can give an update about my mod - 2 more segments of 3rd mission out of 4 and that's it for the coding. Then corrections and implementation of some new things. I hope it will take me only few more months, but it takes a loooot of time to do anything now.
Bojeffries

100 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Appeal to the developers of programs for modding. Reply with quote

Perhaps the reason the community has been quiet is because people have hit a wall with the games engine. Maybe tinkering with the Mafia modding tools could draw fresh interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: