FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

in game map while driving, did it exist?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
santee

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

Santee here from almost ten years ago.

I was addicted to this game in grad school but have not played since 2010. Just bought from steam, have it installed, but I could swear I had an in game map with this game.
and I could hit a button, the map would come up underneath sort of superimposed as I was driving and I would have some idea about where I was in-game.
Did I imagine this or was it somehow deleted in the steam version? Search came up with nothing for me and I found nothing in the mods.
Just can't find my way around LostHeavon without a map, I have no sense of direction! Thanks for any help or insight as I try to remember(or misremember the game)
Also apolgies if this is in the wrong forum area.
Mnich

Site Staff
Site Staff

47079 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

Hi santee, welcome back to Mafiascene.

This may be a stupid question, but have you tried to hit the Tab button?
I don't have a steam version of the game but I remember that this map should be set by default under the Tab button.

AsaSK wrote:
I thought there was something strange about naughtyboy (Cole Phelps).. apart from the fact that his username sounds very gay.
santee

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

that was the first one I hit, and obvously that is where the map is supposed to be, only an empty blank square there now- with a yellow arrow representing the vehicle so cleearly that implies this was where the map was supposed to be.

I guess then my next question would be, in what folder would I place a new jpeg of the map to replace what is no longer there? Anyway
thanks for getting back to me by the way. Appreciate it.
Serves me right for coming back to a game ten years later!
Mnich

Site Staff
Site Staff

47079 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if MafiaDataXtractor should work on the game from steam, but you can download it and try to extract the maps folder. This is where the map file should be.

But you know, before that, you can try to verify integrity of the game files. I guess an error may have occurred during the installation of the game.

Launch Steam and right-click on the game in the steam library section, select Properties. Then select the Local files and click Verify integrity of game files.
If there's an error, this should fix it.

If it doesn't help, try DataXtractor from our Downloads as I said before. It's been a while since I played and modified this game, but I think these two files are responsible for the map - download them and put them in the maps folder:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04985071182650661916

AsaSK wrote:
I thought there was something strange about naughtyboy (Cole Phelps).. apart from the fact that his username sounds very gay.
mammix

986 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

I'm preety sure you should be able to skip the xtractor part. Just make "maps" folder in Mafia main folder, insert the files Mnich sent there. Saves a lot of time.
(If I am wrong - sorry about that, but installing mods works for me like that).
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277784 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

Mnich wrote:
I'm not really sure if MafiaDataXtractor should work on the game from steam...

Normally when using MDX you could run it
from anywhere on your PC/Laptop. For some
reason this indeed cannot be run with the steam
version; however if you place MDX in the install
folder of Mafia in steam where the game.exe
is it will run direct from there. Smile

Hunter

2229 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: in game map while driving, did it exist? Reply with quote

Seems like they really screwed up the Steam version. Or something. Maybe Steam forgot that file Laughing

mammix wrote:
I'm preety sure you should be able to skip the xtractor part. Just make "maps" folder in Mafia main folder, insert the files Mnich sent there. Saves a lot of time.
(If I am wrong - sorry about that, but installing mods works for me like that).

You need a patched rw_data.dll to tell MAFIA to check for folders before archives. You can either download that and overwrite the default one, or MafiaDataXtractor will offer to patch it the first time you run it.

You don't need the program itself if you don't want to extract anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: