FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Help Installing Mods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Help Installing Mods Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I'm just looking for some help installing a few mods for Mafia 1. I have freshly installed original version 1 of game on Windows Vista and runs perfect. I have also run Mafia DataXtractor and that worked prefect too.

I am trying to install 3 different mods and can't find any read-me files... need some help on how exactly to do it...

1. Upgraded Draw Distance Mod - file just has optimized_mafia.rar where does this file get placed??

2. Water Shader Mod - a while bunch of files in this mod folder... where do I copy them to?

3. Free Visit Mod2 - Maps, Missions, Tables files in this folder... do I just copy and paste these into the same folders in the main Mafia Game folder?

Can I have all 3 of these Mods installed at the same time?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I appreciate it!
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

477 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Installing Mods Reply with quote

Tmax8855 wrote:

1. Upgraded Draw Distance Mod - file just has optimized_mafia.rar where does this file get placed??

What files/folders does the .rar contain?

Tmax8855 wrote:

2. Water Shader Mod - a while bunch of files in this mod folder... where do I copy them to?

The contents of the mods folder need to be extracted to the game's installation directory. The dll folder contains a patched LS3DF.dll for each patch version of the game. Pick the one that matches your game's version and copy it to the installation directory.

Tmax8855 wrote:

3. Free Visit Mod2 - Maps, Missions, Tables files in this folder... do I just copy and paste these into the same folders in the main Mafia Game folder?

I don't know this mod personally but going by the content layout description you gave it sounds like it, yes.

Tmax8855 wrote:

Can I have all 3 of these Mods installed at the same time?

It depends on what files they touch. If there're two mods that touch the same files, then using one mod's version will undo the effects of the other version. In that case you need to inspect the changes made by each mod and merge them manually. There could be of course conflicts even if the file sets are mutually exclusive, but this should be generally unlikely. As far as this particular case is concerned I can't give a more specific answer since I don't know all of these mods.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Help Installing Mods Reply with quote

Hi ASM, thanks so much for your help!

The Draw Distance Mod simply has that "optimized_mafia.rar" file, no folders just that single .rar file, and it's not something I can click on and open... just needs to be placed somewhere in the game folder I guess?

Ok, for the Water Shader mod, I understand the game version file (1.0 in my case) will just be copy and pasted into the main Mafia game folder... but for the rest of the files in the mod folder (Maps, Models, Missions), when you say extracted... can these just be Copy and Pasted into the corresponding folders in the Mafia game folder? Is copying and pasting those files the same as extracting the files into those folder?

I will try and keep track of any files that overlap if I'm installing more than one Mod at once!! Thanks again ASM!
Hunter

2235 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help Installing Mods Reply with quote

Tmax8855 wrote:

The Draw Distance Mod simply has that "optimized_mafia.rar" file, no folders just that single .rar file, and it's not something I can click on and open... just needs to be placed somewhere in the game folder I guess?

RAR is a third party container like a ZIP file and you need special software to open it like 7-zip (which has its own .7z format, and also works with .rar, .zip and others) or WinRAR.

You have to take the files out of the container and place them in the folders specified. In the case of "Optimized Mafia" it's a bunch of scene2.bin files, one for each mission in its particular folder.

You should double check that this is compatible with 1.0. Mods are less likely to be made for 1.0 and in some cases they are not going to work.

Most downloaded packages will be nice enough to show where their files go by giving you folders named as required with the files in them; all you need to do (after patching rw_data.dll) is drag them into the MAFIA folder.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Help Installing Mods Reply with quote

OK, cool! Thank you to both of you guys!

Will download WinRAR to unzip that folder, and try and see if that mod works on V1.0

The other mods seem fairly straightforward to install then too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: