FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

1010 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

I recently got a new computer, windows 10, and loaded mafia on it

it plays fine, but I am having a problem modding.

I extracted everything as usual, I copied over the files from Capoletti Mod it works just fine too.

But the problem I am having is with the models. If the models are new, uniquely named, it has no problem loading the modded version (everything from the Chicago club to the capoletti sign

But if I replaced an old model with a new model but get the same name (ie Tommy.i3d, Taxi00.i3d Taxi10.i3d and so on( it defaults to the standard game model

The extractor obviously worked, but the new models with old names are not showing

I tried deleting the models, copying over the capoletti files, then copying the game files on top of that, but excluding the files I have replaced (both the map and the model folder) but it is ignoring the new models for the default ones

I have windows 10 and the problem is the same whether I am using the install in programs or programs86

The only thing I nailed down is this is a model problem, not a map problem

anyone have any hints here? I mean I could give them all unique names but that would be a bear

PtyIersworId

140 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

Have you already disabled VirtualStore on Windows 10? Windows 7 and up has a feature called VirtualStore that makes copies of all the programs on your computer and backs them up. This is so that if a program gets corrupted, it has a copy to use to run the program without any problems. If you've modded the game files, the computer probably sees it as a file corruption and is instead using the uncorrupted version located in the VirtualStore folder. Try finding a tutorial on how to turn off VirtualStore in Windows 10, then locate the VirtualStore folder in AppData and delete everything under the Mafia folder. If you do all of that, it should run the modded files.
MatteoCapoletti

1010 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

Curiouser and Curioser said Alice

So I followed the trail you gave me and it made some improvement

Turning off the virtual store broke the whole install and I had to reinstate it and reinstall

but the App Data in the virtual store proved to be helpful.

I copied over the mod textures and models over to to the virtual store folders and And some things came back...and some things didn't? some car models and some people skins are still not updating and others are. The Correct models are showing, such as Tommy in the hat, but not the right skins

Looking at the mission with World View Editor everything shows correctly, but not in the game.

ASM.

405 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

This reads like another case of file system virtualization as explained in this post. There're several ways to solve that:

• Change the directory permissions for your Mafia installation folder to allow write access for the Users group.
  • Install the game somewhere in c:\users\<youraccount>. Users always have write access to their respective profile folders.
  • Run the game and tools as Administrator.

I personally typically go with option 1.
MatteoCapoletti

1010 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
This reads like another case of file system virtualization as explained in this post. There're several ways to solve that:

• Change the directory permissions for your Mafia installation folder to allow write access for the Users group.
  • Install the game somewhere in c:\users\<youraccount>. Users always have write access to their respective profile folders.
  • Run the game and tools as Administrator.

I personally typically go with option 1.

Tried all three of those, and disabled virtual store again. This time without the game crashing....but no changes on the skins, I guess I am going to have to go in and manually change the model names to something unique

Okay Nevermind changed the model names, re created them z modeler....toast nothing...I am still stuck, may have to start from scratch, which is not a Horrible Idea
ASM.

405 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

It's possible that the rw_data.dll patch done by MafiaDataExtractor was applied to the virtualized version of it. When you cleared your virtual store, the patch might have disappeared so the game is back to its default mode where it prefers the *.dta archives and only falls back to the real filesystem in case it can't find the requested file in there. This would explain why new assets load just fine but replacements do not.

To solve that, run MafiaDataExtractor on your installation again and make sure that the user you execute it with has write access to rw_data.dll.
MatteoCapoletti

1010 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Howdy Boys and Girls Need help solving a problem Reply with quote

Problem Solved

After all of the very helpful advice got me halfway there, (thanks guys!)

there was one more step I had to take, the simplest of all

in the set up menu I had to choose "truecolor"

And now all my skins are back, and so I am off and modding again

thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: