FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

Yeah it's good we have those locations basically unchanged, I think that one you weren't sure about might be the transition between Little Italy and Works Quarter. It's interesting that in the earlier stages there appeared to be no gesture animations, just walking and standing - both in T-poses (the modern kind).

The official Mafioso Mod thread
daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
Yeah it's good we have those locations basically unchanged, I think that one you weren't sure about might be the transition between Little Italy and Works Quarter. It's interesting that in the earlier stages there appeared to be no gesture animations, just walking and standing - both in T-poses (the modern kind).

Well speaking of animations, there was no animation for entering and leaving the car either. You just suddenly popped in and out of the car. Sticking out tongue
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

daviunic wrote:
AsaSK wrote:

Well speaking of animations, there was no animation for entering and leaving the car either. You just suddenly popped in and out of the car. Sticking out tongue

I remember watching that vid for the first time and thinking 'man that's clunky' Laughing

daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

Since we started talking about various locations in early builds, here's plenty shots of the farm:

And Carlo's appartment with this unknown guy walking around:

Downtown church:
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

A lot of these former protagonists from that certain stage of early development are also still around, named 'GangsterXX'. In the Carlo's apartment shots that's 'Gangster04', but 'Gangster01' is also frequently seen as the protagonist in a lot of shots specific to this development era.

daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

More shots of Salieri's Bar:

This third one is closer to the final, notice the difference in wall color (which changed again later), chairs, addition of ceiling fans, rounded corner of the counter, ashtrays on the tables, only four bar stools instead of five...

LH Airport:

The trees are different, so are ground textures, no hangar in the background.

These are somewhat closer to the final.

Inside:
Hunter

2175 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:

The screenshots that have always fascinated me the most are the Palermo Club ones. The location appears in some of the Alpha(?) footage with the old reticle targeting system, and those screens showing the rooms and roof are absolutely fascinating. Such a shame it was stripped down and only used as an end-mission location in Moonlighting..

"After our heist, we will hide at the Palermo Club in Hoboken."
That sounds great...I wonder what will happen when we get there.
Well, it's a big empty room and nothing happened. Tommy and Paulie talked for a few seconds. Confused

Quote:

Yeah, that's how they used to do it. IIRC that's how it was in H&D, and GTA also. Today it seems sloppy, but back then it was just standard procedure to skip the animation.

But they still do it in MAFIA on less interactive environments. For instance, you're running around with a shotgun, and open a door magically without reaching for the handle, or even pausing in your run. Or go to a phone booth and stand there like a statue while you press the action button.
daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

More prosecutor's villa:

I think the chandelier in the dining room is different.

Steamboat:

I think it's missing some decorations at the top, some colors and the design at the back could also be a bit different.

These are from a somewhat later version:
AMadeMan

312 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

The walkway for the Lost Heaven Queen at the bow is not hoisted up.
Illusion_Insanity

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting topic. There are more beta screenshots here:

http://mafia.czech-games.net/galerie/vyvoj-hry-mafia/
http://mafia.czech-games.net/mafia-i/nakresy/
http://galeriebar.free.fr/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=1
https://mafiatown.pl/przed-premiera-wersja-beta,galeria,46.html
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

The varying times of day are interesting, though most likely just done for press - I can't imagine mission 14 originally had a dynamic sky/lighting system or anything like that.

huckleberrypie

326 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
The varying times of day are interesting, though most likely just done for press - I can't imagine mission 14 originally had a dynamic sky/lighting system or anything like that.

Wouldn't that call for a dozen or so lightmaps in lieu of a dynamic/realtime shadow system? I know later games like The Sims 3 can do quasi-real time shadowing by regenerating indoor light maps ad hoc.
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:
AsaSK wrote:

Wouldn't that call for a dozen or so lightmaps in lieu of a dynamic/realtime shadow system? I know later games like The Sims 3 can do quasi-real time shadowing by regenerating indoor light maps ad hoc.

Yeah it would have, re-baked every few minutes. Definitely not something the LS3D engine is capable of!

huckleberrypie

326 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:
AsaSK wrote:

Yeah it would have, re-baked every few minutes. Definitely not something the LS3D engine is capable of!

Not to mention it would be too taxing for the hardware if it was baked in real time. An atlas of lightmaps would be a compromise, but at the cost of hard drive space and memory.
daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

Well maybe they thought about it, but if you consider they had to keep changing the city, reduce texture quality, etc. to optimize the game so they could meet their target requirements, it's obvious why it wasn't done.

When you read some early interviews it really feels like this game was quite ahead of its time in some areas but at the same time constrained by the hardware that was available back then (as well as prolonged development time obviously).

Anyway, here's a location I'm not sure where it is:

First I thought it's at the airport, then the hallway down to Yellow Pete's shop, but neither of those seem likely now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: