FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Collisions and how to make them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I wonder how to make and edit collision. I have some global ideas on redoing the map and I want to understand the working with collision.

I tried to make a copy of MY road in MWE, make this copy transparent via material and put on this transparent mesh of my road a 'face collision' by pressing Crtl-K within MWE without any luck though just nothing happened.

Also, TreeRE doesn't work propperly in win7 causing interface glitches and loosing focus on itself ui elements for some reason.

so, any help would be appreciated. Smile
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276940 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

*Moved to Ask a Modder - Modding*

ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

367 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

How did you add the model to the scene? If it is added as model instance via scene2.bin, you need to select one of the model's mesh objects via Y + Left Mouse Button (assuming you're using MWE v0.4.0).

By the way, in the vanilla missions collision meshes are typically named wcol* or are attributed with OFF_. This way you don't have to mess around with transparent materials. Wink
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
How did you add the model to the scene? If it is added as model instance via scene2.bin, you need to select one of the model's mesh objects via Y + Left Mouse Button (assuming you're using MWE v0.4.0).

By the way, in the vanilla missions collision meshes are typically named wcol* or are attributed with OFF_. This way you don't have to mess around with transparent materials. Wink
thanks for the reply,
I did used Y key and tried to add face collision to my road but gets crashed everytime.
is there a way to clear scene.4ds of off roads to build a new level on it?

i'm puttin' 4ds models via MWE v4.0 btw
ASM.

367 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

Tosyk wrote:

I did used Y key and tried to add face collision to my road but gets crashed everytime.

Maybe there's something weird about the model (such as degenerate triangles). Do you mind sharing your model so I can have a look?

Tosyk wrote:

is there a way to clear scene.4ds of off roads to build a new level on it?

I think there's an empty-mission mod available in the downloads section. It provides you with a minimal mission that you can use as starting point for creating own levels from scratch.

If you just want to remove or edit some objects, you'll need to import the scene.4ds in some modeling package. I'm not really up-to-date on what 4ds importer/exporter to use for that these days, though. Duelist probably knows more.
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Maybe there's something weird about the model (such as degenerate triangles). Do you mind sharing your model so I can have a look?
resolved craches by replacing tree.klz with clear one new collision doesn't work with original tree.klz

ASM. wrote:
I think there's an empty-mission mod available in the downloads section. It provides you with a minimal mission that you can use as starting point for creating own levels from scratch.
I might have use it though I got "clear" scene.4ds and have no issue loading and play my level

ASM. wrote:
If you just want to remove or edit some objects, you'll need to import the scene.4ds in some modeling package. I'm not really up-to-date on what 4ds importer/exporter to use for that these days, though. Duelist probably knows more.
I'll ask him, thanks

now I have almost all I need to rebuild city from scratch with LODs and higher geometry.

is there a way to make collision for interiors beyond MWE and then put them into editor?
ASM.

367 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

Tosyk wrote:

is there a way to make collision for interiors beyond MWE and then put them into editor?

I currently see two options:

1. You can create invisible collision meshes for your interior in your DCC package and then use CTRL-K to create the actual collision data from it in MWE. One thing to keep in mind here is that MWE assigns the material that you specify in that dialog to all faces of the mesh. If you need more material variety, you need to manually edit the material of the affected faces or face groups which, depending on the the desired complexity, can be a bit of a chore. I guess being able to specify a texture/render material -> collision material conversion table would be handy here so the editor automatically picks the right collision material from the mesh's render material.

2. MWE can also create collision primitives from dummies. To do so you need to attribute the dummies to use with VOLt,m where t specifies the primitive type and m specifies the material to use. Then pick the root object in MWE, hit CTRL-K and activate the option Create for Dummies along with Use Type and Use Material. See docs/Collision Model Editing.txt for details. For a real-world example of a model with collision dummies from the vanilla game checkout the elevated train station model.
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Tosyk wrote:

I currently see two options:

1. You can create invisible collision meshes for your interior in your DCC package and then use CTRL-K to create the actual collision data from it in MWE. One thing to keep in mind here is that MWE assigns the material that you specify in that dialog to all faces of the mesh. If you need more material variety, you need to manually edit the material of the affected faces or face groups which, depending on the the desired complexity, can be a bit of a chore. I guess being able to specify a texture/render material -> collision material conversion table would be handy here so the editor automatically picks the right collision material from the mesh's render material.

2. MWE can also create collision primitives from dummies. To do so you need to attribute the dummies to use with VOLt,m where t specifies the primitive type and m specifies the material to use. Then pick the root object in MWE, hit CTRL-K and activate the option Create for Dummies along with Use Type and Use Material. See docs/Collision Model Editing.txt for details. For a real-world example of a model with collision dummies from the vanilla game checkout the elevated train station model.
thanks for tips on making interiors!

I have wierd behavior of my level. for some reason this model crashes game but works fine inside the editor.
p.s.: also I can't build lightmaps on this scene for some reason, can you tell me why and where do I find docs/Collision Model Editing.txt?
ASM.

367 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

Tosyk wrote:

I have wierd behavior. for some reason this model crashes game but works fine inside the editor.

I can't download the file. It asks me to login. Sad

Tosyk wrote:

p.s.: also I can't build lightmaps on this scene for some reason, can you tell me why

That's hard to answer without more details. What comes to mind is

• The objects you're tying to build lightmaps for are not configured for lightmapping. To verify select the objects and open the LMG tab in the Tools panel and check whether the Bitmap or Vertex button is depressed.
  • The objects you're tying to build lightmaps for already have properly built lightmaps. In that case you first need to delete the existing lightmaps by selecting the objects and hitting Delete in the LMG tab.

Tosyk wrote:

and where do I find docs/Collision Model Editing.txt?

Check the docs folder of your MWE installation.
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

ASM, man. I'm Tosyk from old russian modding community. We talked years ago via ICQ if I recall. I still talking with MrF and GOLOD from time to time. Can we discuss some things related to level editing in MWE through some messanger? there's a things that I don't want to share at thia point.
ASM.

367 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

Sent you a PM. Smile
Tosyk

15 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Collisions and how to make them Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Sent you a PM. Smile
you'r pm box seem full Cautious
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: