FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMadeMan

284 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Right off the bat, the PS2 and Xbox versions have much, MUCH worse graphics compared to PC due to different developer, rushed development, and engine change. (PS2: no headlights, no realistic damage, very low poly models and low res textures; Xbox: cars have headlights, slightly better texture filtering and draw distance than PS2 but mostly same)
They don't have freeride extreme and instead have a racing mode. The police don't appear in freeride at all, there is a loading screen every time you go to one of the islands, and there is a gate at the garage of Salieri's bar instead of being open all the time.

This topic would probably fit better in Mafia 1 Game section rather than Mafia Mods. Just a thought.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277515 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
This topic would probably fit better
in Mafia 1 Game section rather than Mafia Mods.
Just a thought.

Indeed, this topic has absolutely nothing
to do with any Mafia mod - please next time
brokenneedlecaa76 check the forum you
are posting in and that it is the correct one
before posting. Thanks!

*moved to Mafia 1 Game*

lostinmafia_heavenMS

186 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

What @AMadeMan said. The console ports are inferior in every way, with poor framerate, I did get the ps2 version because I like collecting certain things Sticking out tongue It did come with a cool MAFIA poster, so yay? There's that.. Also coaster?.. I got nothing. In some way the ps2 version looked like ps1.

Also IS had nothing to do with the ports.
Hunter

2160 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Right off the bat, the PS2 and Xbox versions have much, MUCH worse graphics compared to PC due to different developer, rushed development, and engine change.

It's not that. It's because in the old days, consoles were much weaker computers than computers. The Xbox was rather aggressive for a console and it was what, 400Mhz? Who knows about the graphics. It was just harder to put together a compact, durable, standardized/mass produced and powerful system that somehow is expected to cost 25% of what a computer is.

So really the surprise is that they did a port at all, rather than some customized city that somehow ran better on the extremely limited hardware your consoles had to offer.

For various reasons this distinction has vanished.

Time for me to digress...
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

387 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
due to different developer

Do you have a source on that? I was always under the impression the game was ported in-house. Thinking

AMadeMan wrote:
and engine change.

The console versions still run on LS3D (5.47.5 for PS2/5.51.3 for Xbox).

Hunter wrote:

It's not that. It's because in the old days, consoles were much weaker computers than computers. The Xbox was rather aggressive for a console and it was what, 400Mhz? Who knows about the graphics. It was just harder to put together a compact, durable, standardized/mass produced and powerful system that somehow is expected to cost 25% of what a computer is.

Agreed. Mafia was developed for PC and later ported to consoles. Considering that it was a fairly demanding game for its time (IIRC), it's no surprise they had to make some concessions to get the game running on PS2/Xbox. Things might have gone differently if they had developed it as multi-platform title from the start.

Hunter wrote:

So really the surprise is that they did a port at all, rather than some customized city that somehow ran better on the extremely limited hardware your consoles had to offer.

I haven't come around to playing the PS2 version myself yet but from what I've seen in Let's Play videos there are actually some differences in the city layout. For example, they stripped that loop that leads to the pumping station in Works Quarter near the road to the racing circuit.

In general they removed quite a bit of detail objects like marquises and trashcans and merged a few buildings. Another thing I've noticed is that they stripped most lights and lightmaps from night mesto missions.
AMadeMan

284 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
AMadeMan wrote:
due to different developer

Do you have a source on that? I was always under the impression the game was ported in-house. Thinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(video_game)
The development section says that Illusion Softworks wasn't involved with porting Mafia to consoles. There probably is a reference somewhere where the developers explain this.
ASM. wrote:
AMadeMan wrote:
and engine change.

The console versions still run on LS3D (5.47.5 for PS2/5.51.3 for Xbox).

Oh, sorry I must've misread something. Embarassed
huckleberrypie

326 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:

Hunter wrote:

Agreed. Mafia was developed for PC and later ported to consoles. Considering that it was a fairly demanding game for its time (IIRC), it's no surprise they had to make some concessions to get the game running on PS2/Xbox. Things might have gone differently if they had developed it as multi-platform title from the start.

Hunter wrote:

I haven't come around to playing the PS2 version myself yet but from what I've seen in Let's Play videos there are actually some differences in the city layout. For example, they stripped that loop that leads to the pumping station in Works Quarter near the road to the racing circuit.

In general they removed quite a bit of detail objects like marquises and trashcans and merged a few buildings. Another thing I've noticed is that they stripped most lights and lightmaps from night mesto missions.

The Xbox had a semi-custom, 733MHz Coppermine-based Pentium III/Celeron derivative AFAIK. A game of such scale as Mafia can be done on the PS2 or Xbox, if only that the porting house behind said conversion reworked the game's internals or used a wholly different engine as opposed to trying to cram in everything with LS3D. The engine as we know clearly isn't well suited for an open-world and adapting it in a limited environment isn't going to cut it. We've seen open world games with better graphics or seamless environments being done on sixth-gen consoles, so it's more of a case of not using the hardware efficiently.
Hunter

2160 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure where I got 400 from. I searched and found nothing. But the PS2, 300Mhz. "Just take all the graphics out of the game, it'll be fine."

ASM. wrote:

I expect that. But some console editions are not even the same game even though they have the same title. Never mind autoaiming. Sounds like "baby MAFIA." Smile
DavosWorks

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

PS2 mafia had poor graphics, and zero lighting and effects. BUT feels of playing it on PS2 was much more real, than on PC, also Sounds were much better.
For example SOUNDS:

OR THIS, look at cutscenes, much better Audio. Also look at 8:20 cutscene What?)

I also recorded sounds from PS2 and then inserted it to PC version, and it sounds much better,

you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6olall97aca6ji1/sounds.rar

Hunter

2160 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Wow, that's very different.

One weird thing is how slow the Thompson is in game compared to the cutscene. The truth is that gun burned through dozens of rounds in seconds.
AMadeMan

284 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Did you also get the recorded voices for the cutscenes? The way how Tommy says "dammit" sounds much better and with frustration in his voice, compared to the PC version where it's just recycled from the Omerta mission.

Last edited by AMadeMan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
huckleberrypie

326 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Wow, that's very different.

One weird thing is how slow the Thompson is in game compared to the cutscene. The truth is that gun burned through dozens of rounds in seconds.

Must be due to balancing issues. Perhaps they didn't want the Thompson to be OP ingame.
DavosWorks

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Fire rate is different because PS2 cutscenes are common videos.. Wihe in PC versions its a ingame animation. But the audio is brilliant
AMadeMan

284 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Even on PS2, compared to gta 3, Mafia has pretty decent character models. At least they have facial animations.

Does the Xbox version have any differences from the PS2 version besides graphics?
AMadeMan

284 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: ps2/xbox/ to pc comparisons Reply with quote

Can anybody extract all the sounds from the console version including voices and sounds from cutscenes? Looking at the console versions cutscenes how much better the atmosphere is, I'd love to hear how they sound in the PC version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: