FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMadeMan

463 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Very good! I saw quite a few games beginning to use AI for texture and model enhancements. Looks like Mafia will benefit from it as well.
flovivi

309 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:
I've used AI upscaling technology to double/quadruple most of the textures.

I must say I actually like this method muuuuch more than entirely replacing all textures. Because the original feeling, atmosphere, colors ect. totally get lost by simply replacing them.

I also just tried the real car facing mod for a couple of times and then removed it, because mafia just wasn’t the “same”. (They would fit in a official mafia 1 remake though, amazing stuff)

I am still amazed actually how they managed to make the original mafia 1 cars look actually quite good by painting shadows and other details into the textures, since the models are really extremely low poly. Same goes for the character models.

Besides from being rather small, the textures of the game look actually quite nice and have style, and you don’t even notice them repeating on walls streets, unlike very high detailed textures.

I’m looking forward seeing more of that : ). May I ask, what programs did you use to enhance the textures? Found a couple of free online tools that actually didn’t really enhance textures but rather making them blurry and oversized.

Small off-topic:
PS: I’m glad mafiascene is back, it was inaccessible for a while, at least for me. After a period of nostalgic emotions, I tried to find my by then favorite German-speaking mafia fan-page “pokerzimmer”, and to a shock I realized it simply vanished. Farewell don’t do that to me mafiascene, can’t bear the same pain twice!
madmaxgamer

56 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Yeah, thats my problem with most mods, they make this look like a different game. I used Topaz Gigapixel AI to upscale. Bu I've seen some really good things come out of the Nvidia tools, which are not public, they have a sort of closed beta. So soon maybe, we can get better results if they make those public.
The original Mafia textures, as far as I've been able to see, were made by taking pictures of storefronts from Belfast, Glasgow, etc... Thats why they are so detailed, and hard to duplicate by hand. Lots of details. AI upscaling really is the best choice here, aside from completely redoing the models, where you would be FORCED to put in new textures.

Like this :

I still need to tweak the colors...
AMadeMan

463 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Very nice results! I wonder if the same can be done with the buildings.
flovivi

309 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:
The original Mafia textures, as far as I've been able to see, were made by taking pictures of storefronts from Belfast, Glasgow, etc...

Was curious and checked out some pictures of the places you mentioned, and I immediately noticed this picture! The half white half gray wall, with two windows and a door (covered by the fence) is exactly used like this in Mafia!

Maybe someone could visit those places and watch out for High Quality Mafia textures Wink
madmaxgamer

56 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Holy shit, thats saliery`s bar back side. Its where you get the cars for the missions.

"taken 12 years ago, near to Belfast County Borough, Shankill, Cliftonville, Skegoneill and Ballymacarret, Northern Ireland"

More digging, found the Google maps location. Seems like in the 12 years it sustained a bit more damage, but it still looks like the original.

19 Little Patrick St
Belfast, Northern Ireland. Put that in Google, imma try and extract and edit the texture, maybe make a detailed model too. If anyone finds any other building locations, put em here, i will work on them.

EDIT : This is as close as I've managed to get them.
ORIGINAL

NEW

Second image is compiled with what I've found on Google Street view, patched together and edited out the people in the picture, grafitti and other crap. It has taken a bit of damage which I've tried to fix, it had exposed beams and brick, but the rest I'm not going to try to fix, cause i will probably ruin the detail. I'm leaving out the grass, as it looks weird in game coming out of concrete.
AMadeMan

463 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

I'd love to see that enhanced texture ingame
Hunter

2250 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:

The original Mafia textures, as far as I've been able to see, were made by taking pictures of storefronts from Belfast, Glasgow, etc...

Yeah, we saw the same stuff (in a little higher quality) in Chameleon. IS economized a LOT; they used the same textures in multiple games and didn't even bother to take pictures in New York, Chicago, that kind of place which is meant to inspire Lost Heaven.

But I hate how on close inspection it's all beat up. Look at that wall; there should be a door and windows there. We can argue about the paint, what "would have" been there, how to represent a run down area, but it's not abandoned like the textures show.

IS obviously had these same issues. They started with better textures and models and then revised them over and over so a PIII would run them acceptably in LS3D. Apparently improving the engine was seen as the harder task Sticking out tongue
SLON

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Damn it, does did such roll shutters exist in the 30s?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: