FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

What year did you get/play Mafia

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What year did you get Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
6%
 6%  [1]
40%
 40%  [6]
13%
 13%  [2]
6%
 6%  [1]
Other?
33%
 33%  [5]
Total Votes : 15

lostinmafia_heavenMS

157 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

I got it back in the summer of 2003, I had already started playing GTA the year before, so GTA remained the standard for me.

It took me quite a few years before I started realising just how special the game was, by noticing the little details for the first time and getting sucked more into the Salieri family. Mafia did leave me with a mix of emotions, ranging from happy to sad, like very few could. At the end of the day I just kept coming back to this game unlike others.

So how about you guys, tell us your story Wink, don't forget to enter the poll.

-Note, this is not a how big of a fan you are. We are all fans.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276212 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

I first purchased the game in the original 3 PC CD-ROM
format version 1.0 from what was known as
Electronics Boutique (Changed to Game UK) in
the February of 2003 - I actually registered on
this site (known as lostheaven.co.uk) in the May
of that same year, but the site had gone through
various changes and a lot of accounts were lost
so re registered on Jan 5th 2005. The game didn't
have tbh much commercial success but was definitely of
cult status. Of course I have had various copies
even a $old Out copy

haista__

20 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Around 2006, I think. I remember waking up in the middle of the night, and my brother was playing the first mission.
That Sold-Out box is so familiar Very happy. Sadly I lent it to a friend and lost it a long time ago.
I've lots of games with that box: Dune 2000, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, Carmageddon 2000, etc.
Great memories.
malevilla

9 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Around Autumn 2003.
AMadeMan

54 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Last year in 2016. I've been wanting to play it for years but then I found out they took it off Steam, much to my disappointment. I was looking for a downloadable torrent for about a year, but all I got was a virus. Then by around October or November, I finally found one at a site called Download PC Games 88, which works and runs beautifully.
Hunter

1560 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Last year in 2016. I've been wanting to play it for years but then I found out they took it off Steam, much to my disappointment. I was looking for a downloadable torrent for about a year, but all I got was a virus. Then by around October or November, I finally found one at a site called Download PC Games 88, which works and runs beautifully.

I guess you solved that problem, but eBay Quiet
AMadeMan

54 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
AMadeMan wrote:

I guess you solved that problem, but eBay Quiet

I looked over ebay and other online stores and at the time, the cheapest copy was around $40 with the most expensive being over $150. If only they didn't remove it from Steam.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276212 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
I looked over ebay and other online stores and at the time, the cheapest copy was around $40 with the most expensive being over $150. If only they didn't remove it from Steam.

There are plenty if you look Wink

Mafia PC eBay UK

you could always check for international shipping.

AMadeMan

54 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Thank you Muggy! It's such a shame that such a priceless gem of a game was taken off of Steam and CD keys off of Amazon. I really hope one day 2K will re-release Mafia 1 back on Steam because it doesn't deserve this much neglect from its parent company. A petition to put it back on Steam has been around for about 4 years and has begun to grow recently currently having 5,439 signatures thanks to the Steam Forums for Mafia 2 and 3. It's unlikely to change anything though.
Hunter

1560 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

I wonder why they removed it.

It's crazy, there are various copies for sale on eBay, but not a single original U.S. copy. Of course the value is probably unaffected Laughing
AMadeMan

54 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

The guy who was making the unreal engine 4 remake contacted 2K Czech and said it was because they didn't have the rights to the game anymore. Strange despite the fact they hold the brand for Mafia.

But yeah I was pretty late in playing Mafia for the first time unfortunately.
Hunter

1560 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
The guy who was making the unreal engine 4 remake contacted 2K Czech and said it was because they didn't have the rights to the game anymore. Strange despite the fact they hold the brand for Mafia.

So

1. The rights holder doesn't care to sell the game and
2. 2K doesn't care to license it (assuming they agree they don't own the rights to the game Confused)

That's...dumb.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276212 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
AMadeMan wrote:

So

1. The rights holder doesn't care to sell the game and
2. 2K doesn't care to license it (assuming they agree they don't own the rights to the game Confused)

That's...dumb.

Ironic though, Take2Interactive still have Mafia:CoLH listed

although they still link to the original mafia-game.com site
which of course no longer exists and yet 2K
(who are owned by Take2Interactive) no longer list the
game Mafia:CoLH; it's almost like they've just brushed it
under the carpet...dumb? More like blind stupidity. What?

AMadeMan

54 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

More so they even had all the families listed from Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 on the families page. I checked and they changed it now where it only shows characters from Mafia 3. Its like they're purposefully throwing a beautiful jewel away, for absolute shame.
flovivi

262 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: What year did you get/play Mafia Reply with quote

I played mafia when I was still a child, 11 years old or so. That time I didn't really appreciate its beauty, but the older I got, the more I found out that this game was actually the best I have ever played. Yet it's sad that so less know it. This was absolutely the best game ever created, all the effort to those tiny details and those realistic animations, textures, the ammo system (you could throw away full clips, ...) but seems people prefer the gta series, that lets you make reidiculous things and ridiculous missions...

As I have followed the last few articles, if nobody cares about this game, why don't they hand over the license to us and let us make an amazing remake? Smile

Or they could at least publish the developers tools...

Im glad I found this page. Despite my busy student life, I sometimes come back here and see how it is going, play one or two of my favourite missions or work on my little mod Wink

Because of mafia, I started modding and discovered my passion for modding and game development, which let me choose an IT major at university. However, mafia is maybe also a little reason why I didn't pass my exams and need to do them again No no no...don't do that! Farewell Farewell

Tomorrow I will make a small journey with my better half to Czech, we will visit Brno which is, if i am right, the place where everything began, the place where mafia was developed. (Correct me if I am wrong...) but sadly we will not be able to see the 2kCzech building, since it is rather outside of the city.

I hope this forum can go on existing and I am looking forward for all those great mods to come out, and maybe in my freetime i can contribute to the modding scene as well

Best regards,
Flo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: