FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

newbie questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinpanalley

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: newbie questions Reply with quote

This is my first time here. Just trying to go around online looking for legitimate places that are still running to talk Mafia with people.

I've got my game running on Win10, surprised by that actually. But when I first installed it, I didn't bother with a controller. Well, my 360 controller didn't exist Very happy
So some questions if people can help me out...
1. Can this game work perfectly with a 360 controller?
2. I've got a widescreen fix that also claims to fix the deadzone on the analog sticks but it doesn't seem to work perfectly. Cars sort of drift slightly left and right.
3. I also have a Logitech F710 with both D-input and X-input via a switch. Would that be better than the 360 controller?
4. I've got a bit of a flickering issue near the tires of my cars when I drive around. Any fix for that?
4. What's the best place for mods, graphics and other kinds, and is it really an improvement for the game or is it best to play it as it first came out?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out, as I said, I really am coming back to this game almost 20 years after I first bought it so I have no idea where to go to chat about it. Maybe a discord or something?

Thanks!!
Hunter

2363 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: newbie questions Reply with quote

I will tell you what I know about.

First off, we aren't people. We're Mafia bots, placed here for all eternity to resemble a Mafia community. Beep boop.

Secondly, some cars drift. Only a few really. Or maybe they all do. But you should only notice it on a few of the late game cars. So that's probably an issue with your controller. It's possible to play this game with a steering wheel, though I've never done it.

Next, it's not a widescreen fix. It's a mod. Full screen isn't broken Sticking out tongue

Flickering, hard to say. Could be drivers, could be the widescreen patch, could be settings. Is this a shadow flickering?

My recommendation is generally, you want the view distance changes. AKA UDD or Mugshot's pack if you're lazy. UDD requires you to tediously edit game files yourself. Mugshot's pack is pretty good but a couple of missions are, um, not right without some fog and shouldn't be run with those scene2.bins.

You definitely want to make sure AF is turned up. Amazed at how that somehow gets left alone and every street in the city is blurry.

Suggestion, use a real car names mod. I mean, why not. They are real models, this is a story about humans, obviously there is a genericized setting. The made up brands don't add to the mise en scene, they detract from it. And there's no spoken dialog including any brands, so it is neat.

Personally I can't really recommend aspect ratio mods especially if they don't actually work on GUI, but there's no accounting for taste...

---

Oh yeah, once you've played though the game and Freeride Extreme, there's some crazy mods that have been made over the years that give you new missions and such. Most of them are on the Freeride Extreme level of sophistication, but some are more creative and, you know, why not. Sadly I can't give you any advice about what to try; just check out the mod forum and see what people have been working on.
tinpanalley

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
I will tell you what I know about.
First off, we aren't people. We're Mafia bots, placed here for all eternity to resemble a Mafia community. Beep boop.
Laughing
Hunter wrote:
Secondly, some cars drift. Only a few really. Or maybe they all do. But you should only notice it on a few of the late game cars. So that's probably an issue with your controller. It's possible to play this game with a steering wheel, though I've never done it.
Ok, steering wheel is a bit much. But this is happening just in Free Ride. So probably the controller. But using the D-input Logitech 710 instead of the 360 helped.
Hunter wrote:
Next, it's not a widescreen fix. It's a mod. Full screen isn't broken Sticking out tongue
I understand, of course, I misspoke.
Hunter wrote:
Flickering, hard to say. Could be drivers, could be the widescreen patch, could be settings. Is this a shadow flickering?
Yes, shadow. Started happening after I installed the widescreen mod. Are there optimal settings for graphics for running on contemporary GPUs?
Hunter wrote:
My recommendation is generally, you want the view distance changes. AKA UDD or Mugshot's pack if you're lazy. UDD requires you to tediously edit game files yourself. Mugshot's pack is pretty good but a couple of missions are, um, not right without some fog and shouldn't be run with those scene2.bins.
To be honest, I play lots of games from 2000-2005 that have various graphics mods and I honestly just prefer to see them as they were released. If Resident Evil does it's own remaster I'll try that. But I think games should look as they did when released. But if there are simple improvements (widescreen, DOF, etc) I think those can be useful.
Hunter wrote:
You definitely want to make sure AF is turned up. Amazed at how that somehow gets left alone and every street in the city is blurry.
Not sure I've seen this to get what you mean.
Hunter wrote:
The made up brands don't add to the mise en scene, they detract from it. And there's no spoken dialog including any brands, so it is neat.
Sure, I agree, as long as they are ads that are appropriate to the period.

But as far as checking out some of the mods that you are mentioning, what are some good resources (i.e. non paywall, non risky download) for Mafia content? Is this pretty much the only site left? I remember years ago there were several I'm not seeing anymore.

Thank you!!
Hunter

2363 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

tinpanalley wrote:
Ok, steering wheel is a bit much. But this is happening just in Free Ride. So probably the controller. But using the D-input Logitech 710 instead of the 360 helped.

Is it digital proportional?

tinpanalley wrote:
I understand, of course, I misspoke.

You're a nice guy.

tinpanalley wrote:

Yes, shadow. Started happening after I installed the widescreen mod. Are there optimal settings for graphics for running on contemporary GPUs?

I think by now you know what I think about that. You're not alone though, many people do the "widescreen" mod. Presumably they don't all have this issue. I would start by going crazy in setup. As for like, actual help, I don't know because I would never run that. You should list your graphics chip though.

And there might be more than one widescreen mod floating around; I don't know.

tinpanalley wrote:

To be honest, I play lots of games from 2000-2005 that have various graphics mods and I honestly just prefer to see them as they were released. If Resident Evil does it's own remaster I'll try that. But I think games should look as they did when released. But if there are simple improvements (widescreen, DOF, etc) I think those can be useful.

Um, well. I sort of agree. Playing MAFIA with a long draw distance is a little different. Generally it looks so much cooler to see buildings more than a few blocks away, but yeah, we all started playing in a cloud of fog. Perhaps if you're really going for that nostalgia angle, that's the right choice. I think that's more about hardware limitation than game design though. By contrast, a widescreen mod changes your angle of vision such that you can see things you obviously couldn't when the game was released. Kind of relevant when in traffic or being shot at. In multiplayer, we called that cheating Laughing

If anything I feel a game should be original but look as good as it can. Sometimes that means going into an .ini instead of using the video settings menu.

tinpanalley wrote:
Not sure I've seen this to get what you mean.

Check anisotropic filtering in your graphics driver and turn it all the way up, if it isn't.

tinpanalley wrote:

Sure, I agree, as long as they are ads that are appropriate to the period.

But as far as checking out some of the mods that you are mentioning, what are some good resources (i.e. non paywall, non risky download) for Mafia content? Is this pretty much the only site left? I remember years ago there were several I'm not seeing anymore.

Thank you!!

Well, yeah. You are of course aware the developers took actual advertisements and then edited them in the game. In fact, we have uncovered the original photographs in some cases.

This is the only English site left. We have a download section. You can also trust the talented people who make mods on the forum here. They will provide off site links, and we don't tolerate abuse. Library is not complete, never was, and more to the point it was completely deleted in 2012 and all files existing there now were sourced in 2013 or later. Some people are unreliable.

Actually, we have recently begun collecting refugees from closed foreign sites. =/ I'll try not to get into it but for Reasons we are pretty much the end of the line. Also there's Steam/GOG forums which do get traffic, not too well informed traffic, I'm afraid, but oh well.
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

671 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

tinpanalley wrote:

Apart from mafiascene there's also the russian mafia-game.ru which I think is a descendant of MafiaPub. I'm not sure whether they have a downloads section, though.

For general chat there's the MafiaHub Discord Server which was created by the developers of Oakwood (multiplayer mod for Mafia).
Zsombor

162 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Oh yeah, once you've played though the game and Freeride Extreme, there's some crazy mods that have been made over the years that give you new missions and such. Most of them are on the Freeride Extreme level of sophistication, but some are more creative and, you know, why not. Sadly I can't give you any advice about what to try; just check out the mod forum and see what people have been working on.
I suggesting the good old "Freeride Extreme Expanded" mod, which is the best mod for "Freeride" in my opinion! Wink It "expands" Freeride Extreme and adds a lot of good stuff and good abilities. (I won't spoiler anything.) Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: