FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirGabrielot

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just bought the Mafia trilogy and I had a couple of questions. Regarding the use of the steering wheel.
I remember that the original mafia game had native steering wheel support but it seems like that this has changed for the definitive edition. However, I've been told that three-part apps like Xbox-e could help to do the job allowing you to play with the wheel but is there anyone here that is using a steering wheel? I am asking because I want to buy the Logitech g920 mainly for these three games and as it's a £200 wheel I'd like to know first if you can use this device with no problem and also using at its maximum capacity (driving force feedback, etc) and if it is actually worth buying that one or another cheaper or nothing at all!
Thanks in advance guys
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

278058 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

moved to Mafia Definitive Edition Help

linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1350 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

Hey SirGabrielot, I'm yet to buy the game so sadly I can't say for sure whether it will work with Mafia DE, all I know is it won't work out of the box. We'd need to try an emulator like x360ce or something similar, but no guarantees there either. Speaking about buying the Logitech G920, if you play other games, especially racing ones, the wheel is an incredible piece of engineering considering its price - I bought this exact wheel three months ago and it's brought me nothing but joy ever since.

Getting back to using steering wheels in Mafia games, I used to have a Logitech MOMO wheel and it used to work great with both Mafia II and Mafia III with the x360ce emulator. Sadly the wheel kicked the bucket and I bought the G920 which I haven't yet tried with the emulator, but I'm pretty sure it would work too. I'm only unsure about Mafia DE.
SirGabrielot

7 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

Thanks for your response linukkis!

I think that it will work with the x360e. I've been doing some research after I posted in this forum and it looks like it's possible. I however have bought a cheaper second hand wheel (logitech driving force gt) to try it out first and the I'll probably will buy the G920.

Thanks again!
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1350 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

Hey no problem, glad I could be of help Smile That's nice, Driving Force GT is a very good wheel, great bang for your buck Thumbs up (left)
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1350 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: steering wheel support for Mafia definitive edition? Reply with quote

@SirGabrielot Great success! I've managed to get my G920 to work with Mafia Definitive Edition and all it took was the x360ce emulator! Although make sure you download the latest build, in my case it was version v4.14.15.0. This is important because I had version 3.x.x lying around on my PC and tried that first - no dice, the wheel wouldn't even get recognized by the game as a controller. With the new version, however, the game detected my "controller". It's gonna take a lot of tweaking and fine-tuning with the sensitivity graph, because at first there's a huge deadzone, but things are looking promising and I'm beyond excited!

(!) Edit: (!)

To @SirGabrielot and anyone else interested in making your wheels work with Mafia: DE - I used the new x360ce version, v4.14.15.0, and what I ended up with was a game crash with a nasty BSOD, followed by an hour of trying to revive my PC, then about an hour more full of cursing and trying to back up files, only to find out most of my stuff from C:/users/myUser/Documents had been gone. Now I'm not sure whether some wiper virus infected my PC from somewhere or not and whether this version of the emulator had anything to do with it, but everything was great until I tried this new x360ce version. After that I had to reinstall my OS and that really sucked. Impossible

I have to note that while my wheel worked for a brief moment, there was huuuuge input lag, e.g. the car would keep turning left after I had long centered my wheel. So it was not very playable. However, I said to myself I wouldn't back down and after my OS reinstall, I once again installed Mafia: DE and downloaded the x360ce emulator again, only this time a much older version that I used to use - v3.2.10.82. I opened the emulator, it generated the xinput1.3.dll file, I then renamed this file to xinput9_1_0.dll, set up my buttons and thumbstick sensitivity (at 60% with inverted option selected), and launched the game. And what do you know - it works just fine, there's no input lag or anything, and I was able to play a couple hours straight without any problems. Thinking

So I'd really recommend one of the older versions of x360ce. And if you want to add an optional secondary controller to go along with your wheel (in my case it was my makeshift sequential gear shifter), I'd suggest to try a program called AntiMicro (can be found on GitHub) which allows you to map controller buttons to keyboard buttons. It seems like a lot to setup, but it really isn't that much, and the end result is just so pleasant.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I'm not sure if anyone is even interested at all, but I just felt compelled to warn you about the possible troubles that I had to face and how I later got it working so that other folks may save a headache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia: Definitive Edition Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: