FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeroyPeterson

3035 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:

Thank you, this is perfect.
I'm actually excited about it now. The combat is what it is. I'm hoping (due to the popularity of mods in Mafia 2 & 3 lately) that maybe the finer issues could be sorted by the talented individuals we have around here or generally online.
I actually believe the development team now with what they have said, regarding sticking to the original. Retaining the mission structure and ditching the open world between missions shows a significant commitment IMO, considering the state of open world games over the last few years.

If the guy in the video can be eager to continue playing the game, and can warm to the characters then I'm in.
In my brain this will be Mafia 4 - a return to Mafia's roots. But not the remaster us hardcore fans actually want. No more videos or reviews for me, I know it's only the first few hours of the game but the less you've seen going in, the more enjoyment I get out of games.
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255932 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Exactly. All the sudden there seems to be way too much of ingame footage being shown, so I'll refrain from watching anything else for the time being until the actual unbiased reviews arrive. Mainly the Worth a Buy one since aside of his no-nonsense attitude, he's a massive fan of the original and even ran a fansite of it in the past.

Does it seem like a perfect remake? Absolutely not. But the recent images gave me more hope compared to the gameplay reveal from the countryside mission.

Regardless though, like I can't ever stress enough, always wait for the reviews. And with that, mainly the ones from reviewers who didn't get early review copies.
IGN's recent gameplay video sounds nothing like someone who actually played the original with all the blatant praise the game is given.

www.robville.net
Dujk

578 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I'm afraid that game is heavily pre-scripted ,even where you park and where you go or run next must be exactly like devs wants otherwise story won't progress Salute
Mr Robville

255932 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

That is something I do fear as well. I've watched a bit from the chase scene from the first mission. The player was chased by 3 cars (?!) and repeatedly shook them off by driving through a scripted roadside construction site which repeatedly played the same animation. I can't tell if that guy simply has no imagination and simply did what the developers want him to (which is unfortunately what most games cater to) or if this is truly the only way to shake them off.

I remember how tense the first mission was when I played it, and the satisfaction I got when they were driving alongside with me when I scraped past a street lantern, causing them to crash right into it. When you lost them, it felt like a true accomplishment. For a game that seems heavily scripted, I wonder if that accomplishment still exists. Which it only will if the devs allow you to improvise.

And besides that. Something I always liked about Mafia is that the scale of events seemed somewhat reasonable. In the first mission, you are chased by one car. In most shootout missions, there is basically a handful of mobsters to rub out. Not too little, but not too many to affect my suspense of disbelief. Aside of the gallery mission, most shootouts were quite contained.

If the devs give this game the Michael Bay overhaul where each chase contains at least 20 vehicles that blow up half the city and each shootout having an entire army, then it is very hard for me to feel immersed.

It was my only bit of a gripe I had with Red Dead Redemption II. A game being otherwise superb at atmosphere, kind of took me out of the immersion on occasion when shootouts in tiny towns or camps suddenly involved tens if not hundreds of enemies, so to say, who were otherwise nowhere to be found outside of the missions. A complete town could be turned into a massacre, and one day later all is fine and dandy again.

www.robville.net
Dujk

578 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
If the devs give this game the Michael Bay overhaul where each chase contains at least 20 vehicles that blow up half the city and each shootout having an entire army, then it is very hard for me to feel immersed.

Immersion wise at least could've add cops to chases,a massacre goin on in downtown and cops are simply vanish away!?

Mr Robville wrote:
That is something I do fear as well. I've watched a bit from the chase scene from the first mission. The player was chased by 3 cars (?!) and repeatedly shook them off by driving through a scripted roadside construction site which repeatedly played the same animation. I can't tell if that guy simply has no imagination and simply did what the developers want him to (which is unfortunately what most games cater to) or if this is truly the only way to shake them off.

Repetitive scenes should be remove from classic mode.
nesquik

74 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

By the way in the second mission from the video that I posted above, I found the dialogue between Tommy and the passenger quite strange, just believe my word they were talking about the great stock market crash and Tommy said to him: don't tell to cops that I exceed the speed and I won't say that you're drunk. I don't remember such dialogues in the original. I realized that "drunk" means the prohibition of alcohol in the 30ths, but I thought drunk people could be faced in daily life and the law of prohibition was about distributing and selling. Nevertheless, that version of the game is Russian, maybe English version would be have more clear dialogues I hope

and yes, racing cars of the 30ths had radio?! really?!
Dujk

578 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Omg,face animations are incredibly cartoonish.
arbitrarymobster

95 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised that there is a manual transmission option! If there is wheel support with force feedback (completely appropriate for a game in which half the game play is driving, and in which there is a mission involving a racing simulation) I will be overcome with joy! If I knew it was confirmed now, I'd even pre-order which is something I have never done and don't believe in doing normally.
Mr Robville

255932 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

nesquik wrote:
and yes, racing cars of the 30ths had radio?! really?!

In fact, although car radio's did exist back then, they weren't common at all in the 30's. They were big, and they were expensive.
But, frankly I am not too bothered by such inaccuracy if it improves the atmosphere when one can listen to swinging 30's music while roaming around Lost Heaven.
The original city background was fantastic, though I can understand the decision from the developers to make it a little more dynamic. Would be cool though if they allowed the option to discard radio channels and have the vanilla background music instead.

@Dujk,
There's indeed something off about the facial animations. It is especially visible with Paulie. Who almost has a cartoon "ape" like smile which looks unnatural and doesn't resemble the original actor either, even though you can clearly see all the faces are based off their actors. And I don't mean that as an insult towards the actor, I mean that as an inaccuracy within the animation.

@arbitrarymobster,
Nowadays I don't see any reason to ever pre order anything, ever. It is not like stores need to stock up physical copies anymore unless it is some huge major release which still does release physically. The last time I saw empty stores was with GTA V.

With full digital games, why give money for something you don't know the quality off? The first impressions videos may be praising, but remember that these people may've had to sign an NDA to omit various criticism, just like what happened with The last of Us Part 2.
If it's for the exclusive pre-order content, don't bother. I bought Mafia 3 about half a year after its release for €10,- and it still included the pre-order bonuses. All of them.

Why? Because it is too much work for developers to take things out. 99/100 times, pre-order bonuses are simply disk-locked-content. Even if it's not included, some programmer will manage to dig up that data in no time, like they did with Mafia 2's DLC's.

www.robville.net
Zsombor

152 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I saw a video yesterday (on a Hungarian YouTube channel), basically the first 50 minutes of the new Mafia. Well, I immediately liked it as much as possible!! The city is now so realistic, I almost can't find any words for it!! Thumbs up (left) So, I will definitely buy it when finally comes out!!

But Steam says the game can be preordered (for 39.99 €) and the game will be unlocked at "20, September". Is this really true? Because alternative sources says "25, September" as the (final) release date. So, now I'm a bit confused. Which date is true now?
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

278058 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Prebuild Fair Play Mafia Def Ed

Tbth, I am not that convinced with this remake. The vehicles used in
the scene with Morello and this guy called Joey (note that in the original
no mention is made of who this guy was) are not the same; in the original
Morello was in a Silver Fletcher. Again to be honest Hangar13 and 2K have
not made this remake that follows the original whatsoever.

Side note: Paulie's mouth and facial expression reminds
me of the Joker Laughing

Last edited by Muggy on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
arbitrarymobster

95 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

@Mr Robville: Yes, I agree with your assessment of pre-ordering, which is why I wrote what I did. My point was that wheel support with force feedback and manual transmission support mean so much to me in terms of gameplay, that in this case I'd break my own practice of never pre-ordering should these things be confirmed before release.
Lorenzitto

1616 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Hope the will release some sort of sdk to mod the game someday, not like mafia 2 and 3... Someone can confirm me if is possible to shoot guns from cars while driving like original Mafia of 2002?

Lorenzitto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

278058 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I have made this thread a sticky and it should now be used
for any posts/questions regarding Mafia: City of Lost Heaven DEF ED!

Lorenzitto wrote:
Someone can confirm me if is possible to shoot guns from cars while driving like original Mafia of 2002?

Hmm, you make a good point Lorenzitto. Yeesh! not sure to be honest
but if they are basing this remake on the engine used in Mafia III then
I doubt it. Yet another bad mark for Hangar13/2K. They promised this
to be a remake of the original with YES OK extra bits but this again is
just a load of bull.

Last edited by Muggy on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zsombor

152 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Lorenzitto wrote:
Someone can confirm me if is possible to shoot guns from cars while driving like original Mafia of 2002?
Yes. But at least, NPCs can shoot out from the car, and I'm not sure the player can do that, too, or not. But if NPCs can, I hope the player can do that, too. Sarcastic
Yes, they used the engine from Mafia 3, but I can say it looks really good, anyway. Smirking
I saw (in a video) now Tommy's taxi have radio, but really... Was it necessary to be added to the game?! My opinion is: it wasn't! I don't think so! (The original version doesn't have car radio, anyway... Who needs it in this game?!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: