FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dujk

572 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

nesquik wrote:
I disappointed, to be honest cause their faces aren't similar to origin at all :(anybody knows is Hangar planning to release some demo before the full game?!

Before demo are they capable of release actual gameplay trailer or will they keep on with cinematic trailers till august 28? Laughing
risan

47 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Mafia: Definitive Edition Trailer!!

My opinion on character design:
Paulie looks like monkey, Tom looks like Vito's brother, Frank looks like he will die soon, idk why Morello is black (like wtf), Salieri si looking good, and Sarah looks very good.

Last edited by risan on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dujk

572 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Tommy

Paulie and Sam

Tommy and Sarah

Salieri and Frank

risan wrote:
Mafia: Definitive Edition Trailer!!

My opinion on character design:
Paulie looks like monkey, Tom looks like Vito's brother, Frank looks like he will die soon, idk why Morello is black (like wtf), Salieri si looking good, and Sarah looks very good.

Kinda unbelievable but somehow they manage to render Salieri looks ok Confused Morello is black,Hanger13 decided to link him with Lincoln maybe Laughing
risan

47 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Paulie and Sam?? I didn'teven recognize Sam... i don't think that's good.
nesquik

68 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I've changed my expectations now. It's a new game for me What?

Now I expect the first mod for m1r is going to looks like "origin faces and physics mod" Shocked

The community might change m1r to make It more similar to the original game in general. I hope, believe Sarcastic

Well, at least I could walkthrough the game in English since It's not my first language. I was too young when I played the original game and this is the good news for me only.
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255915 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Although pretty much none of the faces (and voices) seem to resemble the original game, I am a little curious on where they are taking this. Let's just hope they do the original story justice.

www.robville.net
RubyDragon949

736 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Gotta be honest. So far, I love what I see.

Gameplay will of course be the make or break though. Especially with 2K's track record since Mafia II Very happy As for Hanger 13, they got a heck of a load of making up to do since the absolute s**t show that was Mafia III.

Basically, they HAVE to do this remake justice otherwise the Mafia franchise as we know it is FINISHED!

So far, it's striking me enough to feel fresh, while also keeping itself within the familiar territory we all know and love. Yes, the characters may look different, but the original was 18 years ago. We should of expected this, right?

Salieri looks fantastic. But Tommy, Paulie and Sam will take some getting used to. Also, Detective Norman isn't Irish anymore? Oh well, I can live with that.

If this keeps building up as it is, then August cannot come quick enough.

But as I said, I remain sceptical. Especially with gameplay yet to be seen.

Please, Hanger 13. Don't mess this up!

Regards

*Ruby*

The Commission Mod

The Robbery Mod

The Gangster Life Mod

Regards

*Ruby*
LeroyPeterson

3062 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

LeroyPeterson wrote:
Important unknowns:
- whether it will retain original voice acting or a full czech cast like the original
- whether the story will be changed significantly
- will the mini map be covered in meaningless tasks like so many open world games now
- whether the development team will focus on showing a new audience Mafia 1 or if it is aimed at being true to the original and the older fans.

Another reason I'm skeptical is that Mafia 3 was a huge commercial success even though critically it was not very solid. They could be using that success to fund this passion project, or its a cheaper way to make a new game with more hype but retain lots of "features and elements" from Mafia 2/3.

Well the trailer confirmed a few things:
- new voice cast/new faces/new dialogue/new cutscenes
- story will probably be changed slightly for gameplay or functional reasons (ie no trams, or shoe horn in extra side missions)
- yes, development will be focused on a new audience.

Nesquick is right, treat this as a new game. we'll get nowhere having expectations with this one.

I understand needing to change faces for motion-capture, but the voicing is way off. Not even compared to the original, just in the 1930's at all. (and also those Mafia 2 facial animations, ergh. its like Mass Effect Andromeda all over again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W137xZ8qYeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukDOptE5ryM

I don't usually buy collectors editions or whatever, but if there is one and it includes the soundtrack, count me in. It seems to be the one thing that has really been nailed.

I'm reading that there was supposed to be gameplay footage revealed on 15th of June but its now been cancelled? So we'll have to wait a bit longer.
Feetlebaum

45 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I'm excited for exploring remade Lost Haven. More so now. The trailer has bolstered my excitement. The shots of the city look fantastic.

But at the same time from seeing the trailer, the game seems steeped in a tough-guy-gangster routine. H13 is injecting some of the 'Hollywood' they had leftover from Mafia 3's action driving mechanic into veins of the characters.

All I hear in my head is...

"Hey tough guy. My name's Thomas. Thomas Angelo. I'm a tough guy. We're all tough guys here. Are you some kind of tough guy, tough guy?"

Like carbon copy caricatures from old gangster novels and movies. It's just so campy and exaggerated compared to the body language and manner of speaking in the original, which I found more believable and humanizing.
AMadeMan

544 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I couldn't recognize anyone at all. I could kinda guess which was Paulie but even then I thought it could've been Sam I was looking at. Salieri looks way too young and Frank looks way too old. Sarah look pretty good surprisingly. Detective Norman looks just plain unfitting compared to the original.

All the voices just feel so off and unfitting for each character. Tommy sounds like he is trying to be some kind of badass, even though his character is meant to basically be a plain guy who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and that he had no choice but to follow through. Mr. Salieri sounds a lot less like a grouchy old-man and more like a younger cocky typical mob boss.

It seems the subway trains are back like before, but I have yet to see any trams on the Lost Heaven streets.

My only expectation for this game is that it will either crash and burn like Mafia 3, succeed and end up resurrecting the franchise, or be just "meh". If Hangar 13 (and 2K) wants to regain trust, it better pay clear attention to what Mafia got right.
madmaxgamer

79 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

After seeing that last trailer, i went from horribly pessimistic, to cautiously optimistic. They obviously tried to keep a lot of stuff. The missions (race, harbor, countryside, restaurant, Norman`s intermissions, the priest, the Morello missions) are all still there. Locations like the bridge, the racetrack, the suspended tram, all that is also still there.

As for the characters, yeah, i would have preferred to have more similar looking and sounding ones to the original. But, as someone who has tried to remaster old graphics, i can tell you, its VERY hard to get them to look like the old ones on new tech. The imperfections of the old graphics gave a lot of personality to those characters that would be lost on the new ones without making them look like freaks. As for the voices, i doubt they could have got the old voice actors. But don't despair. Tech is getting better, I'm sure in the future there will be a mod that uses AI machine learning to make em sound like the old characters, and models that look closer to the originals.

Still. This is still 2K and H13 we are talking about, and there are many ways they can **** this up. Car handling is my main worry. Mission structure is another. The Bertone missions could be lost, or sold separately in another DLC. I also worry the focus will shift heavily on explosions and action, and the subtlety of some scenes and car aspect of the game will be forgotten. Maybe its just the trailer... i dunno.

First gameplay trailer should tell a lot.
Dujk

572 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

Feetlebaum wrote:
But at the same time from seeing the trailer, the game seems steeped in a tough-guy-gangster routine. H13 is injecting some of the 'Hollywood' they had leftover from Mafia 3's action driving mechanic into veins of the characters.

All I hear in my head is...

"Hey tough guy. My name's Thomas. Thomas Angelo. I'm a tough guy. We're all tough guys here. Are you some kind of tough guy, tough guy?"

Like carbon copy caricatures from old gangster novels and movies. It's just so campy and exaggerated compared to the body language and manner of speaking in the original, which I found more believable and humanizing.

Nice point you got there,considering publisher/director U.S based now unavoidable to expose Hollywood effect which most likely shift original's style and
substance.My biggest fear is speed up vehicles with arcade action driving at this point remake unfortunately becomes a demake,unplayable .
RubyDragon949

736 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Salieri looks way too young and Frank looks way too old.

All the voices just feel so off and unfitting for each character. Tommy sounds like he is trying to be some kind of badass, even though his character is meant to basically be a plain guy who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In all honesty, I prefer this Salieri, as he now realistically looks the age you'd expect.

Remember that photo Tommy shows Norman. Saying "It's from 1920". Well, we meet Salieri for the first time in 1930. You're telling me he really was able to age that much in the space of 10 years? That is what was kind of unbelievable first time round. Not what they've done here.

As for Frank, he was clearly older than Salieri in the original Mafia, but from what we've seen of him in the remake so far, yes, he does look a bit too old to be an advisor to this younger looking Salieri. But to be honest, we haven't got a real good look at Frank yet. Just glimpses.

As for Tommy's new voice. You say he sounds like he's trying to hard to be a badass. Maybe that is intended. After all, the Mafia is all about image. You could be the most sensitive soul in the world, but you still need to portray yourself as a tough guy to command respect. Especially around your peers. Like Bobby Bacala in The Sopranos. He was a real softy, yet he could be the hard gangster when required.

It's still too early to speculate too much into everything right now really though.

Regards

*Ruby*

The Commission Mod

The Robbery Mod

The Gangster Life Mod

Regards

*Ruby*
Mr Robville

255915 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I don't consider the vastly different appearances/voices a dealbreaker as I think it could grow on me. After all, we are all just extremely biased since we are such fans of the original game. A different voice or look doesn't have to mean a character isn't done right. The only thing this relies on is the writing. If that cannot convince me, then even the original cast wouldn't save it.

My only concern though is Tommy, because the trailer and teaser give me the impression that they are going for a story where he kind of wants to end up in this world. Hence the "Everything I did, I did for my family" line, which is a polar opposite of what Tommy's story was all about. His non-Italian accent complimented the essence of the story; the wrong person in the wrong place.

Unless they are going to take liberties for the writing and deviate from that original scenario, I'm keeping my natural skepticism, as it currently suggests a little bit that the people who wrote and casted the story, didn't play the original game, or didn't grab the essence of what it was about.

www.robville.net
arbitrarymobster

93 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Mafia : City of Lost Heaven DEFINITIVE EDITION Reply with quote

I agree with others regarding the main concern: driving. So much of the game is driving, and yet there is no support for wheels in the sequel, and no manual transmission / clutch. Even LA Noire had wheel (and seamless direct input / xinput) support and driving was far less of the game, they even allow you to skip the driving. Makes no sense to me at all. I know a lot of people don't care, but there is very little out there for non-racing realistic driving sims, let alone from a different time period. Mafia is a unique experience in this way and has never left my PCs since 2002 for this reason.

I would pay (a lot) for wheel support as DLC; much more worthy of purchase than a different color suit or another car. On the DLC subject, I have no problem paying extra for extra work. People have to sit down and work then test added content and they need to get paid for it. I think paying 20% of the game price for an outfit and a car is a rip off, but I'd be happy to pay even a lot extra for a worthy extra.

The price point makes me nervous as well. It really is an all new game with only the story and locations recycled. Why not a full $50? Corners are going to have to be cut with a lower price point. I'm sure wheel support is out. Sucks.

Regarding original characters, one problem might be that Paulie and Salieri looked and sounded an awful lot like Joe Pesci and Marlon Brando. They got away with it in 2002 but they might not with better graphics, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: