FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Mafia - The Prequel. Released now!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vapno92

617 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

Hey guys, here you have link for downloading mod.
Let me know your thoughts Wink
Download here

Thanks to everyone, who is interested.
Some technical details:

- You NEED TO HAVE version 1.0 to play this mod. With version 1.2, it should crash or not load right in main menu. I made it intentionally like that, because if I let you start playing on 1.2, you would experience some weird things to happen pretty soon.

- Mod is multilanguage, Czech players will have Slovak subtitles, EN, FR, DE, IT and ES version will have English texts in game.

-PLEASE, don't forget to turn on subtitles. Mod doesn't have any voiceover, only subtitles. I can remember some kids let'splayers laughed on this back in the day, that "Haha they use telepathy or something". If you don't understand, that it's NOT possible for one single guy to do complete voiceover in 2 languages for whole mod, please do me a favor and go kill yourself. Thank You
#sarcastic

- There is no really possibility to do new character models to Mafia. I was forced to recycle models from original story, at least I used those non-significant ones you are unlikely to remember.
Main protagonist is Enemy92.4DS with few modification to clothes. DON'T CALL HIM Vito Scaletta, for GOD'S SAKE! Please Very happy

For those who wondering, yes, some music is from L.A. Noire, it fitted into dark atmosphere nicely and I love that game almost as much, as Mafia.

Anyway!

Let me introduce to You Jimmy Thompson. One of Don Pepóne's mobsters, who in a fall of 1925 decides to quit from job, because he can't handle it anymore. Ha have a strange suspicion, that Salieri and Morello are up to something against Pepone, so he is afraid about his own safety...

This mod is kind-of story mod, story is very stereotypical, not really well written, but I did my best. My idea was to have some backstory to follow and let you play some mission, that are quick and enjoyable to play. Unfortunatelly, I ommited extensive cutscenes, complex gameplay mechanics or modelling new areas/locations. Sorry, but it would take too long for one person to do.

I tried to NOT be stereotypical in terms of gameplay. Most of mods like this are basically like
-drive A to B
-kill 20 guys
-kill one guy with 999HP
-drive from B to A
Which I DIDN'T WANT!

I tried to be more original, there is of course driving, there is one mission you will kind of hate for this, but it fits to concept pretty well.
I tried to build atmosphere, so I decided to use night+storm theme in few missions and evening/sunset in others. I really loved that evening setting in Mafia back when I was first playing it.
I also increased visibility in city, not to infinite, but like 3-times more than original game.
I must admire, that look from one island to other with high drawing distance, with bright orange sunset and Giuliano Bridge is just STUNNING to this day.

I hope, you will like it even without new locations and extensive cutscenes.like I said, there are some original gameplay elements here, so I am curious about Your opinion, guys Wink

Story of this mod started back in 2012 when
Mafia community was still living strong and many new mods
were being released.
Back then, I met guy called Samo149, and we started our project.
We had big ambitions - to create the greatest story mod ever.
We were disgusted by pretty much shitty quality of some mods back then.
I guess, you can remember it. Mods with awful technical quality,
buggy, glitchy, easy to break down, authors often didn't bother with
implementing fail triggers, using more, then one ambient light etc. etc.
So we said, we are going to make something big and special, something, You can
compare to original Mafia missions. MichalSberatelJS had mod like this, if you
remember, if his mod had voiceover, they could be a part of Mafia when it
was released. Anyway, inspired by him and HBO series "Boardwalk empire", we got
to work at summer holiday 2012. We wanted strong story, dark atmosphere and open
world experience with many side missions to do. Also cutscenes. We wanted really
cinematic cutscenes, like original story did...

As you can imagine, enthusiasm didn't last for very long. What we did, basically
was, that I modelled high quality apartment and bar models (which you can see in
mod), implementing sectors, advanced lighting, radiosity...
Samo did most of the excellent scripting for first mission and cutscene in port.
I had quite a few missions, which I didn't include in mod, because original idea
was set in 1918 right after World War 1, protagonist was supposed to come from war
and then become a part of family. We even had battlefield scene. If you are asking
- Yes, that's complete RIPOFF of Mafia II, only 27 years earlier.
I was progressively working on other elements of the mod, especially open world,
we wanted to have full economics, non-linear progress, weapon shop, car showroom,
clothes shop, street racing...
Anyone, who knows something about Mafia modding is now laughing probably, for the
rest of the people I just say, that Mafia works very differently from, say, GTA
San Andreas. In Mafia, you have to load everything in once, because original Mafia
is divided into "Scenes" and was NOT designed to be open world. There is no way to have whole game in one scene, it would not be stable at all (You can see it on mods like Ikarus Mod 3.0, it already pushed engine to it's limit in these terms). Worst problem was, you have NO WAY how to transfer variabiles between scenes. You can only transfer one number, which is used for example in FREERIDE missions to transfer money value. But we simply would NOT have a way to transfer information about purchases, already completed missions etc. from scene to scene. I had a great headache because of that and meanwhile, Samo decided to quit. I guess it was because Mafia community started to fall down progressively. People started to lose interest in Mafia, totally. One modder, which I won't call a name, who was well respected on CZ/SK scene and did one of the greatest mods of all times suddenly started to released many very bad mods, basically unplayable bullshit and he started to write strange religious/cult non-sense things into chat at
Mafia.czech-games.net, I guess many CZ/SK guys will laugh at it to this day.
Anyway, I can remember Samo saying something like "I don't want to mod Mafia anymore. Look at M**** (that guy), he is modding Mafia for like 10 years, it's totally pathetic, sorry".
I decided to continue anyway with mod change from story-oriented to strictly open world.
It didn't last very long, my hard drive failed and it was over for good.
I took parts, that I had backed up, "glued" them together and created a new idea in my head. I released in late 2012 as "Made man mod - DEMO" and basically let it sit for 7 years. Sometimes I had some idea, started working ... and left it behind anyway. Meanwhile, Mafia community, unfortunatelly, pretty much died completely, so my motivation was not there.
BUT! By some strange accident, one day in 2019, I saw a Mafia speedrun race between PTNGMS and Hannys on Twitch. Then I realized, that Mafia still have strong comunity between speedrunners and people from CZ/SK started to recognize me in Twitch chat and keep asking me abouts mods and everything.
Well and in March 2020, unfortunately, Corona virus striked as. While forced being at home instead of going to work, I managed to finish that FINALLY.

BONUS:!Some almost 10 year old screenshots from developing an original mod, it's worth looking at Smile

Last edited by vapno92 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
mammix

1 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. 100% done, ready to be released Reply with quote

Looks very interesting, including the story behind it all Wink I will check it out hopefully soon.
On a related note - is the Mafia scene in CZ/SK still active? For some reasons, I see they never were too involved on foreign sites, rather closing themselves in their own circle... (mostly, of course)
zdenda55

40 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia - The Prequel. 100% done, ready to be released Reply with quote

I'm so excited for this mod! Smile Nice work!
vapno92

617 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia - The Prequel. 100% done, ready to be released Reply with quote

mammix wrote:
Looks very interesting, including the story behind it all Wink I will check it out hopefully soon.
On a related note - is the Mafia scene in CZ/SK still active? For some reasons, I see they never were too involved on foreign sites, rather closing themselves in their own circle... (mostly, of course)

Thanks for kind words Smile Sending regards to our neigbours Smile
Basically, the only way for modders from CZ/SK to connect was shoutboard on site Mafia.czech-games.net
Since 1.1.2020, provider decided to shut down "Shoutbox" service entirely. Admin of that site didn't even bother to replace it with anything else. So I guess, this was the final nail in coffin of CZ/SK modding scene.

As for me goes, I was active on old Mafiascene.com, Mafiascene.net and also here Smile
I always said, that you should focus on international scene mostly, there are still some people, who are interested worldwide.
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1314 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. 100% done, ready to be released Reply with quote

Absolutely love it and can't wait to try it out Smile And man, those pictures are simply amazing! Bar de la MEME and the fuming horse are my favorites Laughing Applause
zdenda55

40 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

I played it and it was very good. Great work! Applause Applause
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

617 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

That definitely reads and looks tasty. I think I'll give it a try. Thumbs up (left)

Also, thanks for the post-mortem writeup on how the mod came to be. It was an interesting read.

vapno92 wrote:

I really loved that evening setting in Mafia back when I was first playing it.
I must admire, that look from one island to other with high drawing distance, with bright orange sunset and Giuliano Bridge is just STUNNING to this day.

Agreed! I think the art direction and lighting in the game is really great. (Hunter possibly disagrees with me in regards to art direction, though Laughing)

vapno92 wrote:

Anyone, who knows something about Mafia modding is now laughing probably, for the
rest of the people I just say, that Mafia works very differently from, say, GTA
San Andreas. In Mafia, you have to load everything in once, because original Mafia
is divided into "Scenes" and was NOT designed to be open world.

Yeah, it was indeed an odd technical decision to go with a level-based approach and hence have such a tight coupling of mission logic and world map. However I guess this was mostly for legacy reasons. From the looks of it LS3D evolved from Lonely Cat's Insanity (2?) engine which was used for Hidden & Dangerous (where a level-based approach is perfectly fine) and it would have probably been quite a bit of work to adapt its core systems to better suit a (semi) open world game like Mafia (for example by introducing some sort of (partial) streaming solution like what we have in GTA 3).

vapno92 wrote:

There is no way to have whole game in one scene, it would not be stable at all (You can see it on mods like Ikarus Mod 3.0, it already pushed engine to it's limit in these terms).

I wonder to what extend the 'differences' system (read: .chg files) could help in that regard. From what I understand it was implemented to be able to augment scenes with additional objects like HD character models for cutscenes without having to use dedicated missions for that. .chg files can also store scripts and can be unloaded again which definitely sounds like they could be leveraged to allow for more complex scenes/missions without having to resort to loading screens. Thinking

vapno92 wrote:

Worst problem was, you have NO WAY how to transfer variabiles between scenes. You can only transfer one number, which is used for example in FREERIDE missions to transfer money value. But we simply would NOT have a way to transfer information about purchases, already completed missions etc. from scene to scene.

Hm MSE might have helped here. However I only started to work on it in late 2017 IIRC. Thinking

I wonder whether the console versions of Mafia have some mechanism in place to allow for more sophisticated data sharing across missions. After all the mesto (city) levels are split into two parts there to meet memory budgets.

vapno92 wrote:

"I don't want to mod Mafia anymore. Look at M**** (that guy), he is modding Mafia for like 10 years, it's totally pathetic, sorry"

Heretic! Mafia-4-Lyfe!

vapno92 wrote:

It didn't last very long, my hard drive failed and it was over for good.

Oh dear. Sad

vapno92 wrote:

Meanwhile, Mafia community, unfortunatelly, pretty much died completely, so my motivation was not there.

Yeah, the Mafia community is certainly going a bit slow at the moment but nonetheless we still see new faces here every now and then. I also think that Oakwood (the latest and currently the most sophisticated attempt at a multiplayer mod for Mafia) also breathed some new life into the community. I also wonder what effect the rumored remasters of Mafia 2 and 3 will have, provided they're indeed a thing of course.

By the way, some of your development postimg.cc image links are redirected to pixxxels.cc which shows NSFW ads (for me at least). You might want to add a general note to that section of your post so people know what to potentially expect. Laughing
vapno92

617 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

Hey ASM and thanks for positive words.
Well, maybe it would be possible, I didn't thinked that .diff files might be helpful, but whole work is lost anyway.

I am glad I managed to get this thing done.

Thing with Mafia community, I am glad to see new people and some activity here, I am glad about it.
Sad thing is, when chat on mafia.czech-games.net was shutdown, it's basically over for Mafia community in Czechoslovakia, there are of course people from our countries here, but many visitors of Mafia.czech-games.net are not even aware of this forum. Such a shame What?
Hunter

2317 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.

Tell your friends Sticking out tongue ...not that I care. But it pains me to see these communities die, even if I have no connection to them.
AMadeMan

506 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Mafia - The Prequel. Released now! Reply with quote

Awesome job man!! Applause

Thanks so much for your dedication and how much effort you put into this mod. And yes, the Mafia community definitely needs a reawakening so new people can be introduced to the franchise and the first game's modding scene.

Regarding new Mafia stuff, I read that a Mafia 2 Definitive Edition rating got leaked... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: