FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Hey guys, just wondering if there is any possible way to install a bought hard copy of Mafia 2 from disc, without going through Steam??

I've been wanting to replay both Mafia 1 and 2 lately and have the first one installed and running perfectly and added a few mods... but I have trouble when I go to install Mafia 2 and the Steam program wants to install and update but stops half way through and says "Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later".

I've tried using the Client Registry Toolkit program and changing the numeric vale for the server or whatever, but no luck with that. Also tried editing and renaming shortcuts and deleting certain files from the Steam folder, with no luck again.

Then I tried installing the newest version of Steam, instead of using the one that comes with the game disc, but that gave me a Steamui.dll error. I tried using .dll tool to fix it, and tried a few other fixes that people suggested, but it will not load up Steam no matter what I try!

I bought this copy in-store when it first came out and was able to install and play it at that time. Is there anyway to get around Steam to install Mafia 2 this time, since I bought and paid for this hard copy it's frustrating that I can't use it.
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

477 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

There're third-party extractors for Steam game packages. I used Phoenix Extractor (I think that's what it was called) for Mafia 2 back in the day. Note however that at least Phoenix Extractor does not strip SteamDRM so to actually run the game you either need to have Steam installed and working or you need to get hold of a patch/crack that removes that requirement.

Tmax8855 wrote:

Then I tried installing the newest version of Steam, instead of using the one that comes with the game disc, but that gave me a Steamui.dll error. I tried using .dll tool to fix it, and tried a few other fixes that people suggested, but it will not load up Steam no matter what I try!

What CPU do you have?

Tmax8855 wrote:

[...] since I bought and paid for this hard copy it's frustrating that I can't use it.

I can imagine. That's (Online) DRM for you. Sarcastic

Mafia 2 is on sale on GOG from time to time so you might want to rebuy a (DRM-free!) copy from there. That being said the Steam version might be DRM-free now, too but I guess that's of little help right now if you're unable to boot Steam to download the latest patch.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
There're third-party extractors for Steam game packages. I used Phoenix Extractor (I think that's what it was called) for Mafia 2 back in the day. Note however that at least Phoenix Extractor does not strip SteamDRM so to actually run the game you either need to have Steam installed and working or you need to get hold of a patch/crack that removes that requirement.

Tmax8855 wrote:

What CPU do you have?

Tmax8855 wrote:

[...] since I bought and paid for this hard copy it's frustrating that I can't use it.

I can imagine. That's (Online) DRM for you. Sarcastic

Mafia 2 is on sale on GOG from time to time so you might want to rebuy a (DRM-free!) copy from there. That being said the Steam version might be DRM-free now, too but I guess that's of little help right now if you're unable to boot Steam to download the latest patch.

Hey ASM,

For my older gaming laptop, my CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo 1.8Ghz, running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have another newer computer running Windows 8, but it's a slower CPU and weak graphics card so not one I'd want to game with. Would it somehow be possible to install Steam and activate my copy on the newer computer, but then install the game on the other computer??

I suppose if that's not possible, I could try that Phoenix Extractor.. but where do you find a patch that removes the Steam requirement?
Hunter

2235 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

I would have no patience for this. You have a legal copy. Torrent either the files that strip the DRM or the whole game itself.

Sucks, but their defective copy protection scheme is punishing you and it's not your fault. And IMO it's morally wrong to reward them for the scheme by paying for the game twice!

And that is how DRM creates pirates...
Nicolasncg

4 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Or you can get the GOG version which is DRM Free
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Nicolasncg wrote:
Or you can get the GOG version which is DRM Free

Yeah, seems like getting it from GOG might be the best path... I'm not all that tech savvy once you get into this sort of stuff too far, and I don't know where to get this Torrent stuff or the files to strip the DRM. And with GOG, I guess I can then also purchase all my future games from them as well.

I've never used GOG before, how does it work exactly? You pay them for the game and then you must download it onto your computer, and then you own what's been downloaded? Do you need a certain special program to download from them?
ASM.

477 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Tmax8855 wrote:

Would it somehow be possible to install Steam and activate my copy on the newer computer, but then install the game on the other computer??

If they've removed SteamDRM in a later update, yes. In that case you could download/install the game on another computer, copy the game's installation folder to your gaming rig and simply launch it there. However keep in mind that if you install the game from disc, you need to update it via Steam first before copying it over because the disc version obviously uses SteamDRM.

If that indeed works, I recommend to back up the installation folder so you save yourself the installation hassle in the future.

Tmax8855 wrote:

I suppose if that's not possible, I could try that Phoenix Extractor.. but where do you find a patch that removes the Steam requirement?

Try googling for Mafia 2 skidrow update 5. Thinking

Tmax8855 wrote:

For my older gaming laptop, my CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo 1.8Ghz, running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Hm ok, this one most likely supports SSE2 so this is probably not the reason why Steam doesn't boot for you then. Thinking

Hunter wrote:

Sucks, but their defective copy protection scheme is punishing you and it's not your fault. And IMO it's morally wrong to reward them for the scheme by paying for the game twice!

And that is how DRM creates pirates...

I definitely agree. However the problem with cracks is that they might contain malware if you don't obtain them from a trusted source (whatever that may be in this case). From that perspective GOG is definitely the safer option, even if that means paying twice. On the bright side, buying on GOG means the DRM problem is gone for good for that title moving forward, provided you keep a local copy of the installation data in case GOG or whoever decides to terminate your account in the future. Apart from that GOG also offers the Director's Cut version of the game which includes all DLCs (including the originally PS3 exclusive one) so this might be another compelling reason to buy it again if one's into these.

Tmax8855 wrote:

Yeah, seems like getting it from GOG might be the best path... I'm not all that tech savvy once you get into this sort of stuff too far, and I don't know where to get this Torrent stuff or the files to strip the DRM. And with GOG, I guess I can then also purchase all my future games from them as well.

Agreed. However before pulling the trigger maybe try the copy-approach outlined above first (unless you absolutely want to rebuy the game on GOG of course).

Tmax8855 wrote:

I've never used GOG before, how does it work exactly? You pay them for the game and then you must download it onto your computer, and then you own what's been downloaded? Do you need a certain special program to download from them?

Yes, that's pretty much it. When you buy a game on GOG, it's added to your library where you can download offline installers for all your owned games from. In that regard it's very similar to Steam, minus the offline installer thing. GOG also provides a local client called GOG Galaxy that you can use to download games and manage your local library but it's primarily provided for convenience and is not mandatory.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you guys for all the helpful advice!

I think I will give it a shot by installing the game on one computer and copying the installation folder from "C:\Prog Files\ Mafia 2", or wherever it is exactly, onto the gaming rig and see if that works. Might as well give it a free shot before buying the game again! Will definitely backup the Installation Folder too if this works.

If that won't do it, I 'll wait for Mafia 2 to go on sale on GOG and download it form them. If I like how that works I will probably get all my future games from them as well.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Hey Fellas, just a last update...

I managed to get Steam up and running beautifully on my other computer. The game goes to install fine, but because I can't remember my old steam account info, and I don't have the same email address as back in 2010, I had to create a new Steam account.

When I type in the product code on the games disc case, it has a "Duplicate Product Code" error and won't continue because I had already use the Code for the game the first time back in 2010 with the old Steam account.

Any possible way around this before I have to just go buy it from GOG?
ASM.

477 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Tmax8855 wrote:

When I type in the product code on the games disc case, it has a "Duplicate Product Code" error and won't continue because I had already use the Code for the game the first time back in 2010 with the old Steam account.

Indeed. A copy can only be linked to at most one account as otherwise users could duplicate their copies and pass them around.

Tmax8855 wrote:

Any possible way around this before I have to just go buy it from GOG?

You could check the Steam FAQ/Help to see whether there're alternative methods beside password reset for recovering one's account but I wouldn't put much hope into that to be honest. Apart from that the only other option I see is to get hold of a crack but like I said earlier this bears the risk of downloading malware if you're not careful.

As a general rule of thumb you should definitely keep your account data for services like Steam or GOG in a safe place. This especially holds for Steam as many games published there ship with some kind of DRM that mandates online activation or periodic activation renewal so even if you have a local copy/backup of the game, you can't play it if you don't have access the account the copy is linked to.
Tmax8855

24 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Install Mafia 2 without going through Steam? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys... ended up re-buying off of GOG, enough fooling around with this B.S. haha!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia II Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: