FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Gallery not found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter

2219 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been gone for about a week. We also got these nice question marks in the forum header. Someone may have renamed something or deleted something.

*shrug*
AMadeMan

442 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

Yeah, its happening to me too. I really hope its not lost. Far too many valuable pics.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277774 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

The gallery was causing problems with enabling registrations
since it was disabled so far registrations were fixed as far as
could be seen. It was either that or disabling the forums.
However as the forums are the mainstay of Mafia Scene
the gallery was removed to fix the problem with people
being able to register. In a nutshell the gallery was outdated
Chris K wrote:
Sorry for the long silence. I've been intending to get back to you as soon as I'd fixed the problem but between work and studying I never seem to find any spare energy to work on the site.
Because there is a security hole in some old unsupported software (phpbb or coppermine) fixing it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I tried to apply any known security fixes last time I worked on the issue but they've clearly been of no use.
I can't continue playing cat and mouse with the automated software that's injecting adverts into site (this is probably breaking the registration too) so I've been thinking perhaps it's best to call it a day?

TimC wrote:
Sorry to hear that Chris, however if there is not way of a work-around then so be it. But it'll be a sad time for some. 😞

Chis K wrote:
Hmm, the only workaround I can think of is closing down whatever software is causing the problem, either the forums or the gallery.
Perhaps it is worth closing the gallery down to see if the problem is with gallery?

Tim C wrote:
O...K!

Chris K wrote:
If it is, perhaps loosing the gallery wouldn't be so bad.

Tim C wrote:
tbth only a small number of members use it anyway!

Chris K wrote:
Okay, then I'll give that a go and keep my fingers crossed.

Tim C wrote:
Let's see what transpires then!

This was the discussion I had with Chris K on facebook having tried to
converse with him over the last months since November last year

AMadeMan

442 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

I hope to God one of you guys or someone else has a copy of all those pics that were saved over the years. Some of Mafia's history from when it was in development consisted of many of those pictures and screenshots. If those are lost, part of Mafia's history is lost as well.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277774 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallery not found Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
I hope to God one of you guys or someone else has a copy of all those pics that were saved over the years. Some of Mafia's history from when it was in development consisted of many of those pictures and screenshots. If those are lost, part of Mafia's history is lost as well.

http://mafiascene.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10307

Hunter

2219 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gallery not found Reply with quote

Chris K wrote:

I can't continue playing cat and mouse with the automated software that's injecting adverts into site (this is probably breaking the registration too)

What "automated software?" I don't understand this cryptic reference. It seemed as if the captcha tool was out of date and at least replacing it with a logic based check like "Who is the Don in Little Italy" would keep the bots out. Not that I know anything, why would I...

But I have to concede it's better to allow registration than have a gallery. I reiterate it was fine before, so...obviously something added in broke the system.
mammix

4651 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better to actually move the forum to some other hosting? There's a lot of problems with this one, recently, and maybe a move would just increase safety? One would just have to export all the posts here, so no information is lost...
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

277774 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallery not found Reply with quote

mammix wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to actually move the forum to some
other hosting? There's a lot of problems with this one,
recently, and maybe a move would just increase safety?
One would just have to export all the posts here, so
no information is lost...

I don't think hosting is the issue; I may be wrong but from what
I understand it was more to do with a security hole in outdated
software e.g. Coppermine. As for automated software I guess
this was whatever it was trying to put ads on the site which
again was causing a security problem thus rendering registrations
to go belly up.

However I have no idea how this site works i.e. all the gubbings,
hopefully Chris K will be able to explain more succinctly than I
can.

Last edited by Muggy on Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deusiah

Site Staff
Site Staff

141 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

The hosting is good. There's a security hole in some very old software (gallery or forums) that allows some bot to inject HTML into the index page of the website. They keep dropping adverts onto the site and do it in a way that throws up an error. I assumed this was the cause of the registrations not working.

To try and figure out where the issue lies the gallery has been taken offline. If the adverts don't come back then the issue must have been in the gallery. I'm ruling out the site as the problems since it's custom code and they attack appears to have been scripted and likely targets many domains with common attack techniques.

Hunter

2219 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Gallery not found Reply with quote

I did see a registration May 18th. Never saw the ads, but that doesn't mean anything.

Can I just say, this forum software rules compared to the garbage they put out these days Laughing I never saw myself as a Luddite, I just like stuff that works well and looks great!

Somehow I probably am a Luddite though. I was grumping about my favourite sites dumping UBB for vBulletin or phpBB. But I won't say one's bad for being new, they're bad because they have ugly, slow, bloated, animated interfaces...

I see that Coppermine is still around, but I understand not bothering with it too, no one uses this site anymore. I saw that coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: