FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

daviunic wrote:
Well maybe they thought about it, but if you consider they had to keep changing the city, reduce texture quality, etc. to optimize the game so they could meet their target requirements, it's obvious why it wasn't done.

When you read some early interviews it really feels like this game was quite ahead of its time in some areas but at the same time constrained by the hardware that was available back then (as well as prolonged development time obviously).

Yeah Vavra did say the city had to be redone something like six times to raise framerates. It's a very that-gen problem isn't it, no-one needs to worry about simplifying game features to suit hardware nowadays.
And with the real-time sky/lights/lightmapping issue, I'm not sure that technology was around in any FPS at that time. But Mafia broke enough game design boundaries as it is Wink

The official Mafioso Mod thread
AMadeMan

312 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

Could it be possible to stumble across the LS3D SDK?
daviunic

31 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

If you mean the tools such as the level editor, etc. then I very much doubt it. I see no reason why those would ever be released outside of Illusion Softworks, and even someone leaking them is unlikely for obvious reasons.

Would be pretty cool, though. Granted, the engine is rather antique now, but it could still be fun.

Another look at Sarah's appartment, this time with proto-Tommy.
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

I've often wondered who the models were for the LH population, they must have got those faces from somewhere.. Thinking

huckleberrypie

326 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:
I've often wondered who the models were for the LH population, they must have got those faces from somewhere.. Thinking

Developers' friends and relatives, perhaps? At least that was the case with the original Max Payne as they only had a rather modest budget and had to resort to comic book panels in lieu of actual FMVs.
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

huckleberrypie wrote:
AsaSK wrote:

Developers' friends and relatives, perhaps? At least that was the case with the original Max Payne as they only had a rather modest budget and had to resort to comic book panels in lieu of actual FMVs.

Yeah I was thinking of Max Payne as I typed that. Sam Lake and Marko Saaresto, etc Smile

ASM.

387 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:

And with the real-time sky/lights/lightmapping issue, I'm not sure that technology was around in any FPS at that time. But Mafia broke enough game design boundaries as it is Wink

Theoretically it should be possible to have dynamic(ish) time-of-day in Mafia by using the technique proposed by huckleberrypie. LS3D supports lightmap levels (as found in mise11-vila for example) so it should work by baking four or so lightmaps for, say, morning, noon, evening and night. You can then switch between the levels, change the skybox and turn the street lights on/off via some script that is run on certain events such as when saving the game at Salieri's Bar, when starting a mission etc.. This does not give you a fully dynamic system of course but at least allows to change the time-of-day without having to load another mission.

AMadeMan2 wrote:

It does happen from time to time that people find old development backup media on their attic and release stuff but I wouldn't count on it (unfortunately). Sad
AsaSK

11536 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
AsaSK wrote:

Theoretically it should be possible to have dynamic(ish) time-of-day in Mafia by using the technique proposed by huckleberrypie. LS3D supports lightmap levels (as found in mise11-vila for example) so it should work by baking four or so lightmaps for, say, morning, noon, evening and night. You can then switch between the levels, change the skybox and turn the street lights on/off via some script that is run on certain events such as when saving the game at Salieri's Bar, when starting a mission etc.. This does not give you a fully dynamic system of course but at least allows to change the time-of-day without having to load another mission.

AMadeMan2 wrote:

It does happen from time to time that people find old development backup media on their attic and release stuff but I wouldn't count on it (unfortunately). Sad

Someone find Jiri Pop, quick Laughing

That's interesting, though. I've thought about skybox changes but never really thought lights could be done, but the way you say it sounds very plausible. Now that you mention it, didn't the Change of Day mod do something like that?

ASM.

387 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Mafia pre-release screenshots (~400 screenshots!) Reply with quote

AsaSK wrote:

That's interesting, though. I've thought about skybox changes but never really thought lights could be done, but the way you say it sounds very plausible.

I haven't tried to implement the idea yet so it's well possible there're some (hardcoded) limits in LS3D that prevent the approach from working at the scale of the mesto/freeride missions.

What's definitely a bit of a problem is the tools side. At the moment you'd have to open the mission in DC||ED, enable/disable some lights, load the mission in MWE, build lightmaps for a level, load in the mission in DC||ED again, enable/disable some other lights, build another lightmap level, etc.. Now it's no problem to add light properties support to MWE so you don't have to do the DC||ED roundtrip but you'd still need a way to toggle the street lights. There're quite a few dozens of them in freeridenoc so you definitely don't want to do that manually. A scripting engine could probably help here.

AsaSK wrote:

Now that you mention it, didn't the Change of Day mod do something like that?

From what I remember yes, to some extend. However I'm not sure whether it used lightmaps or messed with the street lights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: