FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit ē View your posts ē View unanswered posts

Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honza_B

1588 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

nilsavkege wrote:
I've figured out how to import the Mafia models into 3ds Max 2013. But how do I get the textures to show?

Export of characters was the vexing thing here... As for the import, use the newest set of scripts for import (we have it in our tools folder, first page of this topic, but Iím not sure itís the newest version, youíd have to do your research on that, still, the version uploaded will do) and link the textures. Either set the paths for the texture folder first (...\Mafia\maps) or use the Material Editor (press "M") to find the given texture(s) manually. If you still canít see them in the viewport, you have to right-click the material thingy in the Material Editor and choose "Show Material in Viewport". Or am I missing something here? Smile
Lorenzitto

1606 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Wonderful progress goin' there, I remember that mod with new re-rendered lightmaps of the levels, who made it? Boz? We should ask him to release some files to add them there. We should ask someone who can modify ls3d to try using multi-core of newer cpus for better performance, game is still lock'd to 63 fps too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AMadeMan

327 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

I think Boz is busy at Madfinger Games, so I'm not sure if he will be able to help.

He's amazing at modding Mafia though, and his Boz mod is incredible, but he might be too busy at least at the moment.
Honza_B

1588 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Lorenzitto wrote:
Wonderful progress goin' there, I remember that mod with new re-rendered lightmaps of the levels, who made it? Boz? We should ask him to release some files to add them there. We should ask someone who can modify ls3d to try using multi-core of newer cpus for better performance, game is still lock'd to 63 fps too...

Yeah, that was him, he even had some tool for baking them (we tried MWE but somehow that did not work out).
I donít know anything about engine modifications but a completely new engine would be nice. Smile
You can unlock the fps using the newest version of the Widescreen Fix. https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#mafia
AMadeMan

327 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Is there a workaround for the lightmap baking issue?
Honza_B

1588 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
a workaround for the lightmap baking issue?

You should really try this yourself... Bake some in different places in different resolutions, compare what you see in the program and what you see in the game. Or ask in the MWE topic... For all I know, MWE is the only tool that is able to bake lightmaps. I remember we even talked this over with Boz a bit but we were never able to even characterize the problem. God knows what causes it... Maybe there isnít any. Smile
AMadeMan

327 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

I thought about giving Mafia modding a try, but I don't know a thing about how to get started or how it works, plus I'm in school currently, so I'm pretty busy most of the time.
lol200004

51 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

"LmapGen 2" by Mr F - creates a lightmap with output to dnc files for import into the scene.
agens

29 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

lol200004 wrote:
"LmapGen 2" by Mr F - creates a lightmap with output to dnc files for import into the scene.

Full import of the map from mafia 1 to 3ds max would not have prevented.
ASM.

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

397 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Honza_B wrote:
You should really try this yourself... Bake some in different places in different resolutions, compare what you see in the program and what you see in the game. Or ask in the MWE topic... For all I know, MWE is the only tool that is able to bake lightmaps. I remember we even talked this over with Boz a bit but we were never able to even characterize the problem. God knows what causes it... Maybe there isnít any. Smile

Do you mind posting a screenshot along with the exact lmap settings you used?
Honza_B

1588 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
Do you mind posting a screenshot along with the exact lmap settings you used?

Sorry, no time to do that again. But it should be easy to replicate (and maybe clear out a few things). We really tried all kinds of settings combinations to determine whatís going on -- I mean every single combination you can think of. The city is one chapter. Though you canít really see the settings, https://1drv.ms/u/s%21AoO553Xc23G7iHNA7iqPEU_liNl2 these are some "test" we have done. You can take a look at 1-18 and M1-M18. Different levels of shadows (going up) in MWE and in the game. You can for example see that 16 seems more detailed in the game, though 18 should be the more detailed one. The basic idea is that it never looks the same in the game and in MWE. (I have another set of screenshots for the bank mission https://1drv.ms/u/s%21AoO553Xc23G7iHLphEigk6vM_r1z). For example the shadows the window casts -- in MWE, it looks very detailed, including the "bank" lettering, while itís blurred in the game. Then there were problems with different edge bugs. You can see that on dd15 for example. The place under the Giuliano Bridge was a problematic one as well (out of what we tried). "The same" case with the standing ashtrays at the bank or round tables on the steamer. Normals are correct but when we created lightmaps for these (no matter with what settings, we tried them all), as there was one in the original game, there would always be an edge on the body. So firstly, the level of details seems to work strangely and then there are those edge artifacts.
We also later established (looking at a black shotgun right under a light at Vincenzoís) that what they may have done at IS was first setting up lights for creating lightmaps, baking them, getting rid of those lights, and only then adding the lights that are actually there. Which would be yet another problem when recreating lightmaps for new models (thank god nobodyís working on anything). Moving the lights of course changes the edge problems, so we tried stuff like moving the model somewhere, lighting it somehow, baking the lightmap and then moving it back. Smile But it never really looked good, so we just left it... But that wouldnít really be a problem of MWE.

Last edited by Honza_B on Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AMadeMan

327 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Hopefully the lightmap issue is fixed in the next update for MWE if there is no workaround, but as long as it just looks good then we should be glad.
Honza_B

1588 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
Hopefully the lightmap issue is fixed in the next update for MWE if there is no workaround, but as long as it just looks good then we should be glad.

I donít know, maybe itís not a bug at all. Somebody should test this in a "clean" scene, a newly created one, with new lights and so on, to determine whether there even is a problem. Who knows what are the causes in the cases I mentioned... But this somebody is not going to be me, sorry. Smile
AMadeMan

327 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

On regards of the buildings in Mafia 1, there must be well over a hundred unique building models including the prison, church, prosecutor mansion, car lot, barn, Sarah's house, Paulie's apartment, Salieri's and Morello's bars, etc. It'll probably a long time before we even scratch the surface in remaking the models.

Last edited by AMadeMan on Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ASM.

397 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Actually Really Remastered (By You, Not Yet) Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, Honza_B.

Honza_B wrote:

You can take a look at 1-18 and M1-M18. Different levels of shadows (going up) in MWE and in the game. You can for example see that 16 seems more detailed in the game, though 18 should be the more detailed one. The basic idea is that it never looks the same in the game and in MWE. (I have another set of screenshots for the bank mission https://1drv.ms/u/s%21AoO553Xc23G7iHLphEigk6vM_r1z ). For example the shadows the window casts -- in MWE, it looks very detailed, including the "bank" lettering, while itís blurred in the game.

It looks like the game scales down lightmap textures. The game possibly has a hardcoded maximum size for lightmap texture atlases and scales down any patches that are too big. If that's indeed the case, increasing the tessellation of the mesh should help as that allows MWE to allocate smaller clusters for the individual lightmap patches and hence stay within that size budget, at the cost of increased drawcalls.

Honza_B wrote:

Then there were problems with different edge bugs. You can see that on dd15 for example. The place under the Giuliano Bridge was a problematic one as well (out of what we tried). "The same" case with the standing ashtrays in the bank or round tables on the steamer. Normals are correct but when we created lightmaps for these (no matter with what settings, we tried them all), as there was one in the original game, there would always be an edge on the body. So firstly, the level of details seems to work strangely and then there are those edge artifacts.

The hard shadow edges in dd15 are due to discontinuities in texture space. MWE allocates the faces at that shadow edge to different clusters (i.e. allocates different textures for them) in order to stay within the texture size budget that's configured via the Size option. Discontinuities are a general problem with lightmapping. There're ways to mitigate these effects but none of them are implemented in MWE. In case of dd15/16 you could work around them by increasing the texture size budget.

I'm unable to reproduce the edge issues you had with the ashtrays or round tables so far but maybe I just picked the wrong examples. I only tested with the vanilla models, though.

Honza_B wrote:

We also later established (looking at a black shotgun right under a light at Vincenzoís) that what they may have done at IS was first setting up lights for creating lightmaps, baking them, getting rid of those lights, and only then adding the lights that are actually there. Which would be yet another problem when recreating lightmaps for new models (thank god nobodyís working on anything).

That's my impression, too. I have come across such a setup in mise18-pristav. Rebuilding lightmaps for &&podlaha06 does not reproduce the sun light that floods in from the two open gates. However in that case it seems they didn't delete any lights but rather removed sector &&podlaha06 from the light sectors of the main directional light after they had created the lightmaps, possibly in order to prevent ~barel12507 et. al. from being lit. Readding that sector to the list fixed that and enabled MWE to properly reproduce the lightmaps as seen in the vanilla mission. Maybe it's a similar issue with Vincenzo's workshop and other places where you've encountered this phenomenon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: