FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Dxtory problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

9864 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Dxtory problems Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently tried to record some game footage using Dxtory, but watching the captured file back afterwards I saw it was dropping frames and even froze a couple of times. I did some research and apparently this is commonplace when recording to a standard HDD, as the write speed is too slow.
To counter this I bought an SSD and recorded to that, but unfortunately the footage is still lagging; nowhere near as badly as before, but it's still noticeable.

I don't understand why this is happening, does anyone here use Dxtory and/or can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

The official Mafioso Mod thread
Hunter

2148 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Dxtory problems Reply with quote

I'm not going to counsel you, but here are the basics:

Image recorders typically do two things. Record data, and compress it. FRAPS doesn't compress, which gives you perfect quality, but giant file sizes and as you have discovered, writing that during gameplay tends to not work so well. I was doing this in 2004; imagine how fast the hard drives were then.

Each recording program uses a codec to encode video to a file. This is a big deal. The codec you use determines how your recording will look. If you want my sage advice, use x264 vfw. Download it, install it, and it will then be a codec you can use with programs like Dxtory.

The codec itself has settings. Don't ask me about that, I haven't got the time. But the main things to concern yourself there are speed, colorspace, latency, and quality.

Speed - faster = more FPS, less compression. Set it as slow as your framerate can handle. This means you need to know your RECORDED FPS. Also your recording FPS isn't a bad thing to see, either.

Colorspace - You can cheat and desaturate black areas and stuff like that to make your frames smaller/faster and smaller file sizes, but oops there goes your quality. Use original if it's important.

Latency - latency is the devil. Trust me on this. Eliminate to the best of your ability/real time.

Quality - how much you compress. With FRAPS, you just record what is there (or half of it which is unfortunately a **** waste of time, been there, done that, got the blurry t-shirt). You must choose how much to compromise on performance/quality. I recommend you use a quantizer setting of 20, but you can certainly play with it to decide what's working (this links back to speed and file size).

You might have noticed you're a much worse player while the camera is running. Laughing MOSTLY because the game (almost ANY game) doesn't run as smoothly, but also pressure.

After you record something, editing is a separate subject and is of the devil, no comment there but it typically involves more compression and then getting the video to look how you imagine it should.

Other speed issues include your computer (bandwidth to that SSD, processor to a lesser degree). No matter what computer you have, you can max it out by setting "speed" to a lower value and try to compress your video further. Note that "speed" compression is FREE. No quality loss. So the lower you go, the smaller a file you can get.

Decoding does have a client side processing load also (when you or others watch/edit/digest internally a recorded file).

That probably didn't help you Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: