FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

Doing a little bored browsing the other evening I discovered some interesting articles from a couple of sites, featuring talk of Mafia on the early LS3D engine vs. Insanity 2, the 'free multiplayer patch to be released soon after the game', assets then copied from Hidden & Dangerous 2, 'Pulp Fiction'-style dialogue, city & countryside racetrack circuits, story but current lack of voice actors, fifty characters, having to build the city three times from scratch, the original planned release of late 2000, and more. There's some revealing stuff in there you might not have known about - take a look!

Preview #1 - MafiaWorld [archived]
Preview #2 - Neoseeker

Side note: In researching this I also came across a cool little article comparing the technology and engines behind Mafia 1, II & III, so check that out too (needs translating unless you read Spanish).

The official Mafioso Mod thread
AMadeMan

68 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

Seems like Mafia truly was going to be the forefather of open-world sandbox games, which it should've been.
PtyIersworId

113 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

It seems like every Mafia game has been guilty of having cut content at some point. Of course, Mafia 2 is the worst offender by far. Truly a shame when you find out even the best game in the series is guilty of it too, to a degree. Needless to say, Mafia still is a good game on its own and is able to carry its own weight even with the cut content, not like Mafia 2, where the cut content literally made a difference between it being a AAA masterpiece, or just being mediocre, but enjoyable.
ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

While watching the videos linked in AsaSK's An analysis of that famous promotional picture thread I stumbled across this video which I don't remember having seen before:

It shows Daniel Vavra showing around the IS office and on some screens one can see the LS3D (?) editor in action (well, sort of).
AMadeMan

68 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

ASM. wrote:
While watching the videos linked in AsaSK's An analysis of that famous promotional picture thread I stumbled across this video which I don't remember having seen before:

It shows Daniel Vavra showing around the IS office and on some screens one can see the LS3D (?) editor in action (well, sort of).

It doesn't display for me.
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

AMadeMan wrote:
ASM. wrote:

It doesn't display for me.

Link fixed Smile

Great find, ASM! Looks to be late 2001, final stages of Beta. You can also see the Tutorial at 1:05, without the tower blocks at the side. Looks like it was originally a parking lot or testing ground. Their LS3D editor doesn't look that different to MWE, either..

ASM.

263 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

What's also interesting to see is that the game could apparently be played right in the editor.

I'm wondering what it is that can be seen at ~04:30. Path nodes?

AsaSK wrote:
Their LS3D editor doesn't look that different to MWE, either..

The interface of MWE was inspired by the official LS3D editor, for the better or worse. Laughing
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Looking back: Mafia hype in the year 2000 Reply with quote

Ah Sticking out tongue
Yeah I think you're right, the video's low-res but check nodes do look rather likely..

I also thought what he did with the camera when he ran the game from the editor later on was interesting, reminded me a little of how MexeR operates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: