FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

missions .4ds to .3ds question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

I have been playing around with zmodeler and Mr F's .4ds importer and am running into some issues.

I'd like to edit some mission models and zmodeler doesn't seem to accept the hierarchy or complexity of the extracted .4ds files. large parts of the scene are missing when I import the 4ds into zmodeler and export them to .3ds.

I found the importer script by Mr. F and that seems to work pretty well, although the scene is mirrored. However, I can't seem to find an exporter to convert the 3dsmax scene back to .4ds. The few references google comes up with are either Russian or Czech, so that's not working out for me. Does anyone have the exporter available for download?
Revan31

73 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

Import scene.4ds to 3DS Max using Mr.F 4ds Import Script. Export that as .3ds model. Import .3ds model to Zmodeler2. Edit whatever you want. Export that as old z3d file. Import it to Zmodeler1, calculate some normals, flip some meches if necessary, center the axis, adjust shines and then export that as scene.4ds model.
R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give that a go later, although it sounds a bit fiddly Very happy
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

There is an equivalent script that exports back to .4ds, I use it myself so I can vouch that it's pretty good and does most models without complaint. I'll edit this post with a link when I get home Wink

EDIT: 3DS Max .4ds export

The official Mafioso Mod thread

Last edited by AsaSK on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

That would be great. I noticed that zmodeler2 doesn't want to import without registration. Besides that, the exporting directly from 3ds max would be a lot easier.
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

I'd use Zmodeler 1.07b if you're going to use the software at all, v2 doesn't natively support exporting to .4ds (though I think somebody wrote a patch for that, not 100% sure). Anyway, previous post edited with link.

R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a spin when I get the chance.
R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

That looks very promising. I quickly imported to 3dsmax and exported again...there seems to be some issue with the positioning, but other than that it all seems to work, at least in mafia world editor. I will have a look later, when I have some time.

So again, thanks a bunch!

I had another quick look. The model is rotated 90 degrees and is shifted in two directions. I have a strange suspicion the importer and exporter are a mismatch. Any chance you could post a download for the importer as well?
AsaSK

9830 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

It's nothing to do with a 'mismatch', this outcome can be expected for all models as the exporter script doesn't mirror the model on two axes as is the case with most vanilla game models. This can be achieved manually before exporting by applying a mirror modifier to the mesh. I have versions 1, 2 & 3 of the import script; I use v3.

R_J_V

82 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: missions .4ds to .3ds question Reply with quote

Well whatever it was, the v3 script does the trick. Nothing is rotated or out of position anymore. I tried it on a mission model and a car model. The only issues I have are with the materials.

For the mission models, the sector objects show up as black. hiding them in 3dsmax results in missing objects in the game. I assume there is an easy fix for this. (Edit...fixed this by assigning a fully transparent material to the sectors...duh..)
For the cars, I'm afraid some of the materials need to be reworked in zmodeler (v1.07b), since the lights, projector and alpha don't work as they should.

I noticed dedicated opacity and reflection maps export from 3dsmax. Is anyone aware of any other cool tricks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: