FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
someboodyh

9 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

hi,
I suppose this is a place as good as any but apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway,
we're looking into speedrunning the game,
a lot of people have already done it.

there are some small skips like, shooting the final dude through a window in Ordinary Routine... or clipping through a wall in Better Get Used To It and killing the dude that triggers the final cutscene,

but I think this game has a lot of potential to be fast, currently me and my friend are looking into mission scripts, the problem is... the scripts are kind of confusing. A lot of stuff is divided into seperate scripts that seemingly do not work with each other? I really have no idea how to read the script (even watched a tutorial).

Our dream is to skip a whole chapter of a mission, let's say in Lucky Bastard you go from the first assassiantion attempt right to the harbor (stuff like that, sequence breaking) or skip the ultra boring train part of Moonlighting.

I appreciate any kind of help. Salute
Cukier

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

17020 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

Sup, i hope somebody will have some time to help you guys xD
You can also send link to mafia speedruns discord channel xD

Also mafia scripts are preety easy to read, some scripts setting another scripts off and on, also they calling each other. Before i found mafia speedruns discord server i had an idea to find the script bugs, but i was too lazy xD

You can ask some programmers to make some programs that will print executed mafia script. so you will could filter out unused / not executed scripts to search for "skips" much faster.
Hunter

1562 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

I've written about this on my site. By the way I have a site Laughing

TLDR: Skips, glitches, sequence breaks aren't playing the game quickly and doing it well, they're pointless and don't show speedrunning.

Of course those tools at the speedrun archive disagree.
someboodyh

9 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

Cukier wrote:
Sup, i hope somebody will have some time to help you guys xD
You can also send link to mafia speedruns discord channel xD

Also mafia scripts are preety easy to read, some scripts setting another scripts off and on, also they calling each other. Before i found mafia speedruns discord server i had an idea to find the script bugs, but i was too lazy xD

You can ask some programmers to make some programs that will print executed mafia script. so you will could filter out unused / not executed scripts to search for "skips" much faster.
Discord channel?
i haven't done a run yet, I watched the tutorial and few runners a couple of times. and saw it's not as fast as I'd like. Very happy

but thx
JoeSunnex

13 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

Hey someboodyh,

as a speedrunner of Mafia (under the name of Lembox) I can only advise you to do some "detective work" and look into things you might think are exploitable. Same thing was my job when I found out about the fact that you can bypass solid objects with an animation. Unfortunately the only strategy I could deduce from it for a run was the wallclip in Better Get used to it, since most other places aren't loaded yet, so you fall into the void instead of triggering the next segment. One of the "newer" achievements clearly was the skip in Sarah which saves around 1m 40s.

The Discord server Cukier mentioned can be found in the forum of Mafia's speedrun.com page Smile

It would surely be nice (from a speedrunner's perspective) to skip parts of those lengthy missions like Lucky Bastard, Moonlighting, Just for Relaxation, Running Man or even Fairplay but since your entire train ride has "security checks", Moonlighting is pretty much non-exploitable. I'm interested though if you find some new stuff that I could add in an update of my tutorial Wink
someboodyh

9 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

is there a tutorial how to read the scripts?
i've literally zero programming knowledge,
nothing's making sense.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276214 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Speedrun skips, glitches, sequence breaks Reply with quote

Moved to Ask a Modder - Modding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: