FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Setting Theory: Lost Heaven Location

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyOwens

0 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Setting Theory: Lost Heaven Location Reply with quote

Hey guys, how’s it going? Smile I’ve replayed the main story today and I’ve been thinking about something.
Where would be Lost Heaven located in the US if it existed?

In the latest titles we know that New Bordeaux is Orleans and Empire Bay represents New York. But what about Lost Heaven??? We never exactly knew, but today I got curious and got a little deeper into it. I know there are plot holes in the franchise, but there might be some evidence to point fingers and make assumptions. So I made a short analysis:

So we know that the city is definitely on the East coast by the ocean, because of the specific New York accent the inhabitants have, and not just our italian buddies (just like in Empire Bay). So we could assume that if Empire Bay is New York, Lost Heaven probably isn’t too far away. I searched the maps and I found a city with a name of
“NEW HAVEN”. Interesting, isn’t it!? I have seen many people mistype Lost Heaven as “LOST HAVEN”, this similarity might not be a coincidence, but probably is.

*link removed*

In Mafia 2, Leo Galante escaped to Lost Heaven by train and said that he would travel to somewhere exotic from there, probably because there is no airport in Empire Bay. So Lost Heaven might be the closest big city.

However, we know from the epilogue that Tom’s story ends in Empire Bay, 1951, even though he had said that ‘Norman got them new identities and moved them across the US’.
So that indicates that the cities should be apart in different parts of the country. However, Tommy might have lived elsewhere in the 40s and had been moved a lot by the FBI and ended up in Empire Bay, Vito and Joe confirmed it:

Vito: Why the hell doesn’t the other family just do it themselves?
Joe: Eddie said that they’ve been looking for this guy for a while and they just found him. They’re afraid that if it ain’t done right away, the guy’s gonna DISAPPEAR AGAIN.

Also, what is very interesting is that in the original Czech version, in the 9th mission, Frank says that the farm outside of town is nearby the Canadian borders, which really throws what I put together out of the window. The distance between Canada and New Haven is huge. No way Salieri would consider it a good deal paying for the transport. However, putting Lost Heaven that far high on the map also doesn’t seem right. The accents are too different up there. It might be that Frank didn’t mean the Canadian borders, but the Borders of the city. But who says it like that?
*link removed*
Maybe it’s just a little up north? Rhode Island? Ahh, I don’t know, maybe I’m looking into it too much… Obviously the developers wanted the game to be reminded of Goodfellas and so they hired a cast from New York to do the voices. I can’t help but wonder…

What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas? Let me know. Smile Salute
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276210 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Setting Theory: Lost Heaven Location Reply with quote

The City of Lost Heaven is presumably supposed
to represent a conglomerate of various areas
in the U.S. New York, New Jersey, San Francisco
and Chicago. The clue is in the names of areas
for example Hoboken is in NJ; New Ark
(Newark) again in NJ; Central Island has some
NY in it although the tram is very San Francisco-ish
including China Town.

Based on a surmise that the Salieri Family is loosely
based on the Chicago Outfit plus the mechanical
bridges are very similar to those in Chicago we
can also surmise that Little Italy is again loosely
representative of Chicago.

Last edited by Muggy on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillyOwens

0 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Setting Theory: Lost Heaven Location Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems they wanted the best of all worlds, so they made the city represent all of the big cities IRL. It was the first Mafia game, i guess they didn't have figured out which area to focus on, so they put them all in Very happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 1 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: