FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Modding Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

It seems the original picture files were lost for this post, I will try and reconstruct them, here are some pictures of the end result

Alcatraz

Okay , well I am building Alcatraz and I needed the first layer of ground. Its not going to be seen a great deal, but it needed to be there to prevent see through and give the island a solid feel.

Now I could accomplish this two ways....I could put down a million 6 ground pieces which I do not want to do, or I can enlarge the ground pieces....and thus end up with a smeary pixelated mess.

Or I could do this

First we have to make the ground model which i do with my limited modeling ability with z modeler

First I need to pick a graphic.

so I chose a common one

But its too small, so I have to make it bigger...first it has to be twice as long as it is high to fit my favorite wall, ground, ceiling et all model, plot4.4ds
But don't stretch it, dupe it

and again

Which I did until I went from a map that was 256 x 256 to one that was 2048 x 1024 which is eight times bigger

Then I open zmodeler and and pick my model

Adjust it and assign the new map to it

I made two models, one with the small map, and one with the large map
and laid them side by side

Now you can see the amount of work I had to do if I was going to cover the area with those little things

So I increased their size by 8 Notice from far away the one on the right actually looks better

But get down where the action will take place and ...ugh Hold the pixels

And so the building of Alcatraz commences

Last edited by MatteoCapoletti on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsaSK

7696 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

Coming from someone who does this completely differently, this is a fantastic method and just as effective!

These are great, an insight into the mind of Matteo and his modding process.. I love it Smile

The official Mafioso Mod thread
Mr Robville

255709 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

This method is easy, but certainly not recommended when scenes become more complex. Wink And this has a very simple reason.
Textures make use of the GPU's RAM memory. Mafia uses bitmap images which are not small on filesize. A decent texture can take up to 2-3 MB So it's recommended to use as little textures as possible, both in numbers and in size.

A better way to solve this tiling issue is to alter the UV mapping, which also gains you more control on the projection of the texture on the model.

Each modeling tool as a different way of modifying the UV mapping, but in Zmodeler it goes as followed.

1.Change one of the viewports to UV Mapper
2.Go to face mode and click on the object with the texture and select all associated faces/polygons
3.Go to Modify>UV mapping>Assign UV (I shall correct this when I'm back home)
NOTE, the projection of the UV map will be applied from the viewport you clicked on the model with. (clicking in top view will give a top view projection)
4.The texture and polygons now appear inside the UV mapper window.
5.Using the move and scale tools you can now modify the size of the texture projection onto the model.

www.Robville.net
MatteoCapoletti

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
This method is easy, but certainly not recommended when scenes become more complex. Wink And this has a very simple reason.
Textures make use of the GPU's RAM memory. Mafia uses bitmap images which are not small on filesize. A decent texture can take up to 2-3 MB So it's recommended to use as little textures as possible, both in numbers and in size.

A better way to solve this tiling issue is to alter the UV mapping, which also gains you more control on the projection of the texture on the model.

Each modeling tool as a different way of modifying the UV mapping, but in Zmodeler it goes as followed.

1.Change one of the viewports to UV Mapper
2.Go to face mode and click on the object with the texture and select all associated faces/polygons
3.Go to Modify>UV mapping>Assign UV (I shall correct this when I'm back home)
NOTE, the projection of the UV map will be applied from the viewport you clicked on the model with. (clicking in top view will give a top view projection)
4.The texture and polygons now appear inside the UV mapper window.
5.Using the move and scale tools you can now modify the size of the texture projection onto the model.

Um.......yeah......did I tell you I was not much of a model maker.....? Impossible

I will give it a run when I get home....but uh.....don't hold your breath Guilty Wink
brokenneedlecaa76

18 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

there are no pictures of alcatraz sadly. would you be able to repost them please.love your work. would love to see as much modding of prison/jail as is available
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276072 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Matteo's Cheese Burger Modding Tips - 1 Hold the Pixels Reply with quote

brokenneedlecaa76 wrote:
there are no pictures of alcatraz sadly. would you be able to repost them please.love your work. would love to see as much modding of prison/jail as is available

why are you replying to a topic that is nearly 4 years old?
Please stick to current topics.

*I am going to lock this*

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Modding Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: