FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia III takes the community by storm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter

1549 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

So, here we are. Mafia II days have passed and now we are in the Mafia III days. Where is everyone? Other sites? Maybe, probably. Or is there just no community interested in the game?

I think back to The Godfather: The Game: The Product and remember how we planned to expand our site into a network (see Mafia Source, chapter 11). Anyway, with few developer and prospective sites for that game, that had little to offer in the way of contents besides some lists of information and mostly empty forums, there was not much of a community.

I also read how Mafia III has these same generic/algorithmic missions and tasks that lack detail, and authenticity. It's something to do but it's a type of casual, generic gameplay that doesn't belong in a game with a story and high details.

I pretty much knew what would happen if they made a sequel to MAFIA, which is why over time I came to feel indifferent at best towards that, with the inevitable draw of attention away from MAFIA and towards the new commercial interest.

Would be fun at least to have a community.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276198 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
So, here we are. Mafia II days have passed and now we are in the Mafia III days. Where is everyone? Other sites? Maybe, probably. Or is there just no community interested in the game?

I think back to The Godfather: The Game: The Product and remember how we planned to expand our site into a network (see Mafia Source, chapter 11). Anyway, with few developer and prospective sites for that game, that had little to offer in the way of contents besides some lists of information and mostly empty forums, there was not much of a community.

I also read how Mafia III has these same generic/algorithmic missions and tasks that lack detail, and authenticity. It's something to do but it's a type of casual, generic gameplay that doesn't belong in a game with a story and high details.

I pretty much knew what would happen if they made a sequel to MAFIA, which is why over time I came to feel indifferent at best towards that, with the inevitable draw of attention away from MAFIA and towards the new commercial interest.

Would be fun at least to have a community.

I for one agree that it would be fun to have a community based
on Mafia III, but as you say it is just generic, and gameplay is
geared now towards cheap tricks. Now going back on what
MS, formerly LH and for sometime MSource; everything was
Mafia CoLH - When the first Godfather game was announced
I too remember we were going to extend the site to incorporate
the game (not sure what happened to the concept) but personally
I didn't really rate The Godfather (as a game - the movies were good)
- As much as we were hoping for another game that was equal if not
better than the first in the franchise, Mafia II did to begin with sound
promising but that was scuppered with content removal and of course
Daniel Vavra departing (though tbth I do not blame him).

Nowadays although Mafia CoLH still has a fairly strong fan-base
it doesn't wash water with developers/publishers - If we do get
a community back to give Mafia III at least some support do
we go forward and forget the classic that Mafia CoLH was and
in a lot of ways still is or do we try a shift in gear.

As a game on its own merit Mafia III is not bad, but then again
it is not eye-popping. An average game at best, but is it enough
to encourage full support as a Mafia III game based community
such as Mafia CoLH was back in its heyday. My other thought
is on how or if possible (for those who are skilled in doing so)
the game can be modded - would this bring some hope, I wonder. Thinking

MatteoCapoletti

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

975 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

Muggy wrote:

As a game on its own merit Mafia III is not bad, but then again
it is not eye-popping. An average game at best, but is it enough
to encourage full support as a Mafia III game based community
such as Mafia CoLH was back in its heyday.

Nobody these days takes the kind of care to attention, character and atmosphere that the Czechs did. You could see that in Empire Bay (Mafia 2) the city was wonderful, full of character, immense and yet intimate and fully interactive...this was the care of the Czechs. Then the corporate weenies took over and the game play was pretty darn vanilla...this is the lack of care shown by a corporate entity knowing that the game has a 6 months buzz before its on the discount rack.

Mafia II was an okay game, but the expectation of following Mafia CoLH was a tremendous let down with the only tie back to the game being that we got to kill Tommy ...yay.

Mafia II however WAS Mafia.

Mafia III has you pitted against the Mafia? Oy.

Bottom line, there will never be another Mafia CoLH...ever. Because the people who were behind that were not corporate, profit driven weenies.

I drove through Carl's Junior today and they had a sign outside advertising Mafia 3 and the Drink Cup was emblazoned with the same ad.

That is probably the only thing with that logo that will see the inside of my house, unless the modding capability of it far exceeds M2
Hunter

1549 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

The crazy thing is how these developers never let the games finish development. Yes, it will cost extra money at first, but the game will speak for itself, and any sequel will bring in so much more money. If all their games were so fine, people would say "oh, a Take2 game - this has to be good" (like a Disney movie).

But, no. Profits, deadlines, shortcuts. And yet, some of my favourite games are unfinished.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276198 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

A problem I see is in what could you (theoretically)
write or post about the game other than I like it
or I didn't like it - and as for a community written
walk-through like Mafia CoLH, that is a walk-through
for Mafia III well WHAT walk-through; everything
is done for you - there is nothing challenging about
the game at all, i.e. nothing to write about that would
spark interest. Now if Hangar13 had looked at the
success of MAFIA CoLH and not gone for this
"let's gain popularity by making Mafia III look cool!"
we might have had another game that was on par
with the first of the MAFIA franchise.. but yeah
quick out, quick profit, quick exit; a throw-away
game that unfortunately will not really go down
in gaming history well not unless you like playing
"we'll hold your hand games"

LeroyPeterson

17 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

you gotta remember that Steam wasnt the juggernaut it is now when Mafia 2 was released.
With its pre-order system, early download function, easy access to thousands of players and sometimes easier than googling when looking for bug solutions or mods or even PC optimisation.
Its pretty much made majority of forums redundant (Steam + reddit)... no longer are they the best source of info for walkthroughs, mods or for reviews. Sadly forums and communities are relics of older games and groups of people from yesteryear. its a shame, but its the way things are heading.

I think if Mafia I came to GoG, it would kick-start some life into the game again. Since its not available on steam and has a stronger cult following than the Steam-based sequels.
Mr Robville

255734 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

I second what Leroy says. The foremost reason this forum (and plenty of others) don't attract that much public is simply due to the amount of "effort" a visitor has to take in order to get the information he/she desires.
We live in an Instant Gratification era, where more than 2 clicks is considered too much work, where videos longer than 2 minutes make us lose our attention and where stuff like registration forms are simply not done. Hence why a lot of sites today allow users to login using their Facebook credentials. This allows them to jump into a community with one button press. No captchas, activation links, nothing.

Most of us here are from the "old days", even the lot who are in their 20's like me. We have experienced a time before social media where forums were the only means of contact between people of a certain community.
Despite that though, forums are not completely redundant as they are a way more solid platform than regular social media channels. Be it WIP/build topics or download pages that look really organized and structural or direct communication with developers or certain people without having to infiltrate their social circle.

I guess if this site was easier accessible for for the impatient crowd that we are today, people would be less reluctant to show their faces and post around.

Hell, some people can't even get past the Captcha question that we've put up. On the other hand, it serves as a nice intelligence level filter as well. Laughing

www.Robville.net
Hunter

1549 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

Is that it? But I don't get it, why would you not want to talk about the game? Or does Steam have...yes, I know they have their own forums. I know this because you're not allowed to post there unless you have bought something in Steam, where the developers are posting Sarcastic

See, I don't like that bundling of everything under Valve's roof. I don't like the third party software, the downloads, the on line check ins, the DRM (if present), the processes/memory resident (what's the word I'm failing to think of here), the remote hosting, the fact that this random company is a payment processor, an advertisement platform, a copy protection system, a one stop shop for entrusting your software to someone else whether you want to or not,...time to digress.

There probably is a Mafia III forum somewhere with more activity, but if the game isn't discussion provoking...for whatever reasons, maybe lost in a sea of other, more popular games, those forums will be barren.

Oh, I get what you're saying, I think. You can talk to other Mafia III players/owners in client, and just ask questions there, like an IRC channel for Mafia III a la GameSpy Arcade.

Sad how that tacky console stuff took over the world. Cautious
LeroyPeterson

17 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Sad how that tacky console stuff took over the world. Cautious

I think PC supremacy is starting to make a comeback...
Consoles are getting more hardware and update dependent, the hardware requirements to run PC games is getting lower. VR on PS4 is impressive, but won't have the longevity or flexibility of PC VR. Xbone and Win10 games are now tied and cross-compatible essentially.
If only Windows 10 wasnt causing lots of issues...

and Lastly... you can't play MOBAs or Counter Strike on consoles. Blizzard games, LoL, DOTA2, CS... these games are juggernauts and Esports is getting more and more popular. None of them are really possible on console.
Hunter

1549 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

What I mean is achievements, loading screen help, free passes if you make too many mistakes, 4th wall breaking stuff about how to play, arcade style gameplay, little notifications on the side of the screen (for instance, if a "bloody" message on the right side of the screen swooped in for a second and wooshed out every time you got a headshot, etc. in MAFIA). Simplified controls. Simplified settings. Mass market storylines.

Not all of it is hand holding, some of it is style. MAFIA exudes style, there is little about it that isn't sexy and suave. Look at how the cars drive. Why the hell should anyone point to a 15 year old game and say "THAT's how to make a driving model?" Because developers just refuse to put the effort in to model handling, weight, power, gears, control, models. They just do the shortcuts to meet EA's deadline.

Getting off on tangents again, I do that Laughing

But really. Look at an IS game like Hidden and Dangerous 2. Such realistic movement, a massively non arcadey style of gameplay that makes you think about your capabilities - which vary from which character you choose. Class is something that can't be taught, it must be "demonstrated." Or else you get arcadey garbage.

On an aside playing RtCW after playing Hidden and Dangerous 2 makes you feel like you're flying because of how fast you run Laughing
LeroyPeterson

17 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mafia III takes the community by storm Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
But really. Look at an IS game like Hidden and Dangerous 2. Such realistic movement, a massively non arcadey style of gameplay that makes you think about your capabilities - which vary from which character you choose. Class is something that can't be taught, it must be "demonstrated." Or else you get arcadey garbage.

On an aside playing RtCW after playing Hidden and Dangerous 2 makes you feel like you're flying because of how fast you run Laughing

don't even talk about H&D2.... it makes me cry lol

I just finished Death To Spies: Moment Of Truth and I had major H&D2 flashbacks. i reckon a few of the levels and models are straight out of that game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia 3 Game All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: