FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmaxgamer

12 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

This is a bit of a long story. You can read it in the link below.

Im restarting work on this http://mafiascene.net/thread-181.html

I worked on it on and off for the past couple of years. Hired someone from Freelancer to model new trees, got ripped off with some shitty unusable model. Lost 50$. Hired someone to re code its executable to 64 bit, and got again ripped off for 300$. I guess im a moron. But thats my problem. Anyway, that all demoralized me enough to stop work on it completely.

3 years passed. I once again feel the itch to play this game, and mod it too. I have concluded that the games executable is running on 32 bit, so its limit is 4gb of ram with the memory patch (2 gb initially), which means you cannot replace all the textures and models as much as you want. I have 16 gb ram in my machine now, but that doesnt matter, cause the game will crash at 4gb.

So i have decided to keep what textures i have done, make traffic, ped density maxed out, and have visibility maxed. As well as shadows and light-mapping. I will of course post once i got it done, here. This has remained the best site for this game, along the years, which is nice to see.

If anyone more experienced than me has a solution for the memory problem, id love to chat. Either a way to better compress the .bmp files(yet still have quality), or allocate more than 4gb to the process, or anything else. Reply below. Also, im looking for a copy on steam if anyone is nice enough to either gift one, or sell for a reasonable price.

As for when it will be done, no idea. Light-mapping still takes a lot of time, though less than before, and i have a kid and a job. So, i will finish it as soon as possible. Salute
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276192 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work. Reply with quote

madmaxgamer wrote:
Also, im looking for a copy on steam if anyone is nice enough to either gift one, or sell for a reasonable price.

As you have requested if anyone has a copy of Mafia CoLH on Steam
in this thread I will be locking your other one requesting the same.

Muggy MS Admin

CurtisTea

20 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

Looking forward to hear some news about the mod!
Welcome2Stonia

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

Wow, from the screenshots in the thread which you linked to, it's looking very, very nice! This is exactly like something that I have been searching for in a Mafia game. I wish you the best of luck and and lots of patience + motivation to finish the mod Applause Thumbs up (left)
Hunter

1541 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your story (it's melancholy Oops! ). I personally don't understand why textures are so large. If you get 90% of BMP quality at 10% size in, say, JPG, why can't they just be JPG?

But yeah...maybe it's to do with processor resources when the game was developed, maybe compressed BMPs worked better for them than higher resolution something else.
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255728 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

It has something to do with encoding and decoding textures for GPU's. Jpegs deemed unreliable to be used in (older) games, hence why the lossless .bmp format was used. Nowadays, PNG, TGA and a while ago DDS files are used most often with better compression options while maintaining a lossless format.

A lot of texture overhauls frequently distort the game's original art style. This one on the other hand looks as if the creator found the original HD textures somewhere. It looks amazing. Especially the HUD items look great and very crisp.

www.Robville.net
huckleberrypie

267 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work. Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
It has something to do with encoding and decoding textures for GPU's. Jpegs deemed unreliable to be used in (older) games, hence why the lossless .bmp format was used. Nowadays, PNG, TGA and a while ago DDS files are used most often with better compression options while maintaining a lossless format.

A lot of texture overhauls frequently distort the game's original art style. This one on the other hand looks as if the creator found the original HD textures somewhere. It looks amazing. Especially the HUD items look great and very crisp.

I assume the OP tracked down some of the textures used either through some epic Google-fu (e.g. typing for a specific phrase written in the texture) or through a reverse image search like Tineye. Of course, the rest of the assets would have to be cobbled up from scratch while keeping to the original theme.
Zsolti

126 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

I was kinda hoping this one would be continued. Very happy
Pizzacat

2 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Mafia Melancholia Mod (HD overhaul mod) - Resuming work... Reply with quote

Man, you must finish it! Open up a PayPal account, I'd be ready to donate 10$ for more incentive. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia Mods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: