FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

please help newbie that wants to design and mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokenneedlecaa76

18 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: please help newbie that wants to design and mod Reply with quote

Hello, I've been here several times and props to the great modders present and past thank-you for your devotion to all the mods.
My question is: I am entry level for using computer for design and drawing. my cpu is older than a dinosaur and I use two different
computers on and off. One is using windows xp sp2, the other windows 7. both are athlon II ,NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
and similar for other. I have tried 3dmax5,2007,08,09, blender, paint, modeller 1.07b, etc. I like modeler however and 3dmax
(blender wouldn't work) but I just don't have the patience to seem to get anywhere with them. I can open some 4ds. What I
really want is to start creating new people, and a bunch of boats from the rum running days? How do i get started simply before I
just get fed up? please help. Once i can make something I know I can do get better! In short I just need a dummies method to get
going!
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255834 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: please help newbie that wants to design and mod Reply with quote

Hi there, you came at the right place.

Your hardware sounds similar to my first computer that I used for modding. Not the best, but it worked. Mafia is pretty old as well luckily.
But one thing you need more than proper hardware or tools is a good set of patience. Set a stretch goal and work to it, and consider every step a learning process by itself. Don't try to learn modding in one day, it will frustrate you so much it affects your motivation. It's very doable, just don't underestimate the time it takes to learn.

Making character models is unfortunately not possible due to its complexity. But you don't want to dive into that right now anyways since character modelling is a trade in and of itself. Learn the modelling basics first.

Best way to start is making texture mods. Download Mafia DataXtractor, unpack the maps folder, and start fooling around with the textures you find inside.
After you've done that you can try importing a very simple static model into Mafia. I've made a guide on how to do that here: http://mafiascene.com/modules.php?name=downloads&cat_id=6&last_id=0

Feel free to ask if you need any answers. Good luck! Thumbs up (left)

www.Robville.net
brokenneedlecaa76

18 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: please help newbie that wants to design and mod Reply with quote

Thank you for the words of encouragement Mr. Robville. Your advice is priceless with all the experience and modding you have done for mafia. Least to mention your Titanic project, every time i see more of this mod in video or picture the more i want to play it. Sadly, I cannot seem to find a good link for it. Again,thank you Mr. Robville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: