FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Flickering shadows and signs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbiggs

26 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

Running Mafia on an AMD Radeon 7800 on DirectX 11 and I have this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8NyVUu5vI

You can see that car shadows and building textures flicker a lot. It happens with blood too. My drivers are all updated and I have tried 3D Analyze, WineD3D and enbconvertor to no avail. It just won't go away. Mad Mad
Hunter

1555 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

It can be fixed through setup.
Disable Hardware T&L in setup; that should help.

(I also have "multipass rendering," and "clip always" off, probably just me experimenting, but we all have powerful computers for MAFIA and don't need the help)
kbiggs

26 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

I've done that. I have all the "expert settings" turned off. And it's still there. I've turned everything in the settings panel off and it doesn't change anything. Impossible
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276202 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

That is something you won't get rid of.
So the best thing is to reduce the
shadows in the (in game) settings to
low.

kbiggs

26 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

It helps with the shadows. What about the signs though?
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

8763 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

This is caused by view clipping, it's just the way the engine works. The shadows vary according to some graphics cards (I suspect the PCs we run Mafia on nowadays are too new for some areas of the LS3D engine to render things how they're supposed to look).

See below, diagram showing the top-down view of the buildings in the video (the same principle applies to all flickering textures).

The red shows the fronts of the buildings if they are too close together, one behind the other - they will overlap one another (that is what you see as 'flickering').
The green lines show the that if they are further spaced out so the faces of the models aren't so close, they will not flicker.

Unfortunately this is just the way the engine handles the rendering - it's always been like that.

You can open up DC||ED and change the 'Near Clipping Range' in 'General Properties', but then things will render out sooner when you get closer to them - plus you'd have to do it for every mission.

The shadows issue happens for the same reason, by the way. Each shadow lies flat on the face of another surface, and these two surfaces again overlap and 'fight for exposure' Wink

The official Mafioso Mod thread
kbiggs

26 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

Nice to know what causes it. Thanks! Now what is DC||ED and where do I find it?
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276202 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

kbiggs wrote:

You can find DC||ED in our downloads
http://mafiascene.com/modules.php?name=downloads&action=get_download&id=123

AsaSK

8763 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

Muggy wrote:
kbiggs wrote:

You can find DC||ED in our downloads
http://mafiascene.com/modules.php?name=downloads&action=get_download&id=123

You will also need MafiaDataXtractor from here if you haven't got it and extracted the missions folder already.

In DC||ED click 'open', navigate to the Mafia directory, then the extracted 'MISSIONS' folder, and then open Scene2.bin - from there go File->General Properties and do as I stated in my previous post (try 2 or 3).

The official Mafioso Mod thread
kbiggs

26 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Flickering shadows and signs Reply with quote

I'll try it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: