FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Game closes without warning

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

I have some kind of weird issue to which I have no clue what exactly causes it.

Yesterday I've replaced my two Sapphire HD7850's with an EVGA geforce gtx 970 because the last 10 AMD drivers made my software crash and I was unable to continue on '2013 drivers.

Everything works fine. However, if I start Mafia and I load the exterior scene of the Titanic mod, the game suddenly quits to desktop without any warning once it reaches about 60%. This has never happened before and it only seems to occur with the exterior scene. The other scenes I am working on seem to load fine.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Are there any settings in Nvidia's control panel that I should be aware of?
Or could there be an object, script or texture that Nvidia GPU's absolutely hate?
The exterior scene is by far the most complex scene at this moment so I can imagine there is something in it causing this problem.
I tried loading earlier backups going back as far as to 2013 but no luck. Confused

www.Robville.net
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

I have a 970 and the game ran perfectly for me last time I played through it, did you use DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers fully before installing the NVIDIA ones?

Mr Robville

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

Yes, using DDU there was not a single trace of AMD left on my computer before I installed the Nvidia drivers.
The strange thing is, the whole game seems to work fine including modded content. Only the exterior scene refuses to load. Thinking

www.Robville.net
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

Mr Robville wrote:
Yes, using DDU there was not a single trace of AMD left on my computer before I installed the Nvidia drivers.
The strange thing is, the whole game seems to work fine including modded content. Only the exterior scene refuses to load. Thinking

Strange, in NVIDIA control panel, try going to "manage 3d settings" and then scroll down to "power managment mode" and select "prefer high performance" if you haven't already, it shouldn't make it crash but who knows, weirder things have happened.

Mr Robville

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

alright I came a little further.
First I tried setting the GPU to max performace (can't believe I haven't done that already). The game still closed down.

Then I renamed the maps folder so that all textures were disabled, and now the scene successfully loads as far as possible:

So my guess is that there is a texture used within the scene that doesn't have a power of two size. (like 512X512) so perhaps a 300X400 image causes this problem. Now I need to check every texture. Luckily there are only 1642 textures within that folder... @_@ (no original textures)
Wish me luck!

www.Robville.net
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

Ouch, that's a lot of work :/ Glad you found the problem though, even if it is an awkward and long winded one Sad

Mr Robville

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

Thanks to a wonderful tool Djbozkosz made, I could automatically resize any non-binary textures to their nearest binary format. So everything is at a proper resolution. He just saved me weeks of work and frustration!

And I'm glad he did, because it turns out this wasn't the problem. Even with proper binary textures, the game still crashes.

However, I found out something else.
When I removed half of the maps folder's content, the game loaded fine. When I removed the other half, the game loaded fine as well. So there are no corrupted textures.

Then, when I had half of the content in the maps folder, I added the hull texture which is the biggest texture of them all. Guess what happened, the game crashed.
Then I placed only the hull texture alone within the maps folder to check if it was the culprit. This time the game loaded fine again, so it wasn't this texture either.

While the game froze I noticed something else as well.
For some reason during the freezing, I noticed within task manager that the memory kept building up until the game eventually crashed to desktop. So apparently, there is a limitation of the amount of textures that my GPU can load. This is also judged by the fact that the game freezes as soon as the maps folder nears 1GB in size.

I need to find a way that my GPU can load the rest of the textures without making the game crash.
It's not the memory of the GPU. I have an Geforce GTX 970 4GB graphics card which is way more powerful compared to what I had before.

Is there anyone that would know more about GPU behaviour or memory allocation? There must be a limit somewhere that must be removed. I already tried running the game in WinXP compatibility mode, but no luck.

www.Robville.net
Neutral

300 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

I also suffer from the nvidia GTX560 1GB card windows 7 operating system.
My experience is that you probably can not use the video card's memory, because the 32-bit Windows only 4 GB can handle all of a PC. This system memory and clipboard etc together.
My problem is to nVidia, the driver probably installed despite the DirectX9c only emulates the environment directx 8 and is in need of a large system memory task, as opposed to AMD. Because of the amount of the overcharge soon textures used and approved memory space. Mine is 3.7 GB in Windows Task Manager under as long as I can go.
Suggest that the large 8-bit textures of testing, this saves considerable space.
Thinking
I forgot that it helps if you download named "TaskAssign" small program . This allows for Mafia multiple processor cores can use the same time. Of course you have to create a profile for game.exe. Smile
Mr Robville

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

That does make sense since Mafia is a 32bit application. I could try moving the entire folder into the Program Files(x86) directory to see if that helps, but I doubt it.

I also discovered that the game works if I enable the "low detail" button within Setup.exe. But the graphics look absolutely terrible since obviously all textures are scaled down to a resolution that appears to be 16X16 pixels. @_@

Would it be possible that someone can alter the Game.exe file so that it can work with 64bit settings, or am I thinking crazy right now?

Neutral wrote:

I forgot that it helps if you download named "TaskAssign" small program . This allows for Mafia multiple processor cores can use the same time. Of course you have to create a profile for game.exe. Smile

Ooh, can you give me a link to this tool? Google doesn't give me anything I trust.

www.Robville.net
Mr Robville

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

The problem is fixed!

The issue was that Mafia's game.exe is a 32bit application which in this case was limited to use no more than 1GB of RAM or something like that. As soon as the memory usage ran over this limit, the game quit to desktop. It turns out, the exterior scene of the Titanic uses 1.461MB of RAM, which is almost 500MB too much.

How did I fix it?
I found the following tool:
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Which you can use to patch 32 bit applications to allow them to use up to 4GB of memory. When I patched the Game.exe, the scene finally successfully loaded!

A great relief. I was worried I could add no more content to the mod. Praying

www.Robville.net
Neutral

300 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

I'm glad the solution. Smile
I did not know that it really dangerous infected that has the virus on the web to download programs. I use the old TaskAssign program since 2004 without any problem and tested now with ESET Smart Security and SuperAntySpyware and the result was clean mine. Of course really useful for 32-bit only. Here's the link, but check for yourself virus respects:
www.realcarfacing.hu/download/TaskAssign.7z
Hunter

2156 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Game closes without warning Reply with quote

That's a lot of memory. Too much pre rendering (invisible surfaces with textures loaded). I'm guessing - you already stated the problem isn't game.exe, it's the new drivers - I'm guessing the drivers are loading way more textures than they should be. The old card didn't have this problem because its limit was game.exe's limit, or more likely, there was some provision in the 3d options to not texture things you're not facing/near.

blah blah blah
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: