FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Car converting tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Modding Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revan31

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

How to convert cars from GTA VC/SA to Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven

DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE YOUR PROGRESS AFTER EVERY STEP!!!
Part I : The Basics

1. Find yourself a good car, that you want to convert. I will convert this car again as an example:

2. Download the car

3. Before you import the car into the zmodeler, i reccomend you to get a program called TXDWorkshop and exctract all the textures

4 .Open Zmodeler:

5. Click to File /Import or just press Ctrl+ I, a box should appear, browse to the directory where you had the car unpacked and press open:

6. If you did all the steps above correctly, then you should have ended up with something like this:

Part II : The easy things.

7. The first thing you want to do is to get rid of all, that isn't necessary on the model, do it like this:

8. The wheels, resizing and rotating
8.1 There is also a easier way to rotate the wheels, its called mirroring

Part III : The Names and the steering wheel.

9. To get the model working correct in mafia, some objects need specific names:

9. Now you need a working steering wheel. Do like this:

Part IV : The Dummies.

Part V : The Hierarchy.

Part VI : The Last Fixes.

Your car is allmost ready to go into the Jungle of Lost Heaven Streets, but first, you should look one minor thing.

13. Now Export your model, copy Model and Maps to Mafia Folder and you are ready to give it a try.

Authors : -HeKn-, MafiaMan9MM
Editing and some corrections : Revan31

Last edited by Revan31 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bumper

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

Thanks for the tutorial!

I think I now have a chance of getting my cars ingame.

btw. Does transparency really work like this? When I open up some original models, they have 2ft19.TGA applied, which of course has an alpha channel in it and gives the transparency. Or does the game automatically use the 2ft19+.bmp as an alpha channel if I use the .bmp?
Revan31

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

For making windows to be transparent set Material type to "Glowing" and Shine bar set to the center. You can use whatever image you want for windows. For example I'm using black picture and with Shine bar I'm setting up windows to be darker or brighter.
Bumper

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

Okay!

How about reflective materials such as chrome or paint? Can I just apply a reflection map of my choice or is this handled some other way?

Sorry for asking about everything. Very happy
Revan31

61 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

No problem Smile Its in Czech language but I guess you don't need that to be translated.

Bumper

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

Okay, I just did my first-ever Mafia conversion! Yay for that, now I only have a few other cars to model.

Anyways, It's not all finished yet, so once again I've come for help:

-The car's interior, apart for the seats is not showing up. The weird thing is, they both share the same material so that's not the problem. Also, the interior (apart for the seats) is part of the main body, so the model is showing up as well. Is there a limit for different textures on a single mesh? I think my body shell is using 5 or 6 materials.
-The flipping front axle. Not only is it hard to get positioned, but the game also seems to scale it, so its wider than in ZModeler? What?
-I can't get the lights (billboards) top show up, even if they're directly ripped from the original Bolt Ace and the hierarchy should be the same too. The "projector" works, so the road is lit up.

The good news is that all the wheels rotate right, even the steering wheel.

Also, anyone care to share a good reflection map? I think the one I'm using is a bit too "aggressive".
PITEK

Site Staff
Site Staff

825 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

First, I want to write that your Model T looks sweet! Thumbs up (left)
If you want to make the interior visible you should visit this thread:
http://mafia.gamona.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=14369
For the rest of yours issues: right now it's hard to write what could be wrong. I'd have to take a look on your Ford in my Zmodeler or maybe just try to post some screenshots of your model from your Zmod here.
Bumper

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

Thank you PITEK!

My German is as bad as Google Translate's, so I might have missed the point there. But if it was a matter of copy>reorient, then it wouldn't have helped me anyways. I have a proper interior model there, it just didn't like to show up.
I detached it from the main body shell and it now shows up, apart for some random transparency issues every now and then... (Pictured below)

The axle I'm still confused with. I just noticed that original Bolt's axle is very narrow too, and the game sort of stretches it to fit between the wheels. The height issue seems to be the main problem now, I can't get it to move down neither by physically moving it or by fiddling with the axle. Impossible

As for the lights, another mystery to me. Like I said - directly ripped from Bolt Ace, but for some reason they rotate 90 degrees when I export the model, rendering them invisible in the game. I never touched the local axis on the billboards and I made sure they are exactly the same as in the Bolt model. Meh.

Some more pictures of my issues:

Jorns

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

117 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

When you have reoriented nodes, try convert the model to "3DS" file and then back to 4DS. THAT 100% helps
MrBeker12

570 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

i would like to make the models in the game with the reflection of the paint like the glowing of this cars:

merced500K_PROVOZ.4ds
speedster_PROVOZ.4ds
chema64_PROVOZ.4ds
fordt2_provoz.4ds
buik4_PROVOZ
huckleberrypie

279 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

'Swell tutorial you got there. I'm pretty much used to doing things in 3DS Max, so a definite tutorial for Max users such as myself may do, but I guess I can make do with this one for now.
Bumper

19 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

Hey Jorns, I'm not sure what you mean. All a .3DS export from Zmodeler seems to do is mess up the normals.

It's not like this is a secret project, so here's the car as it stands for you guys to download so you can try and see if it can be fixed:

*download removed, will be released soon*

Oh, and if you do end up fixing it, let me know how and please share the fixed files.

Again, thank you everyone for your help. I couldn't have got this far without it. Smile

edit: Seems like I forgot the reflection map from the archive. Just use something named "refl.bmp", Zmodeler's default chrome should do.

Last edited by Bumper on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
PITEK

Site Staff
Site Staff

825 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Car converting tutorial Reply with quote

I've fixed Bumper's Ford Model T! Smile
Headlights and rear lights are working properly. I've merged both billboards and dummies from original Bolt Ace.
The front axle is placed correctly now. I think that by accident I left it alone in car's model hierarchy in Zmod. I've also added a new reflection map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Modding Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: