FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Manual Install of Mafia (tried and tested)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276214 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Manual Install of Mafia (tried and tested) Reply with quote

Again this is copied from web archive Way Back Machine.
I created this tutorial based on Windows XP, but hopefully
it should have the same principles mostly of copy and paste
or drag and drop into the appropriate folder.

by Muggy Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Here is a quick guide of how to manually install Mafia if you are having problems because CD2 or CD3 stops and nothing happens in normal installation.

Here is the procedure.

1. Click on Start then Run

2. Click on Browse (Make sure CD1 is in your CD Drive)

3. Pull the drop down menu and locate CD1.

4. At the bottom of the window of CD1 there is a drop down with File type.

5. choose All Files

Make a new folder (I am assuming you know how to do this) right-click on the desktop and choose new folder.

Name the folder Mafia.

Now that you have the All files for CD1 open you can start to drag and drop into the new Mafia Folder.

The first files to put into the Mafia folder are

drvMgt.dll

SECDRV.SYS

Now at the top of the files in CD1 is a folder called MafiaGame.

Open this folder and all you have to do is to drag or copy all the files into the new Mafia folder the only one you donot put in there is MafiaSetup.exe this is for installing the game.

You do the same for all the CDs remember to choose all files and copy all the files from the MafiaGame Folders in each CD to the new Mafia Folder.

When all the files from the MafiaGame folders are in the new folder called Mafia, put this new folder into C:\

If you want to play the game make sure CD1 is in the drive open up the new folder which should now be as C:\Mafia and double click on game.exe

And it does work I played a short run of Freeride small and everything was as if I had installed from the CDs.

Pictorial Guide

Click on Start/Run

Click on Browse

Pull down drop-menu and locate CD1 (this applies to all Mafia installation CDs)

Pull down drop-menu at File Type option and choose All Files (this applies to all Mafia installation CDs)

Right-click on Desktop and choose New/Folder and name Mafia

Open your newly created Mafia folder and drag and drop
these files into that folder

Now open up the MafiaGame folder you see at the top of the contents of CD1 and copy or drag and drop the files to your new Mafia folder

*PLEASE NOTE: Donot put MafiaSetup.exe into your folder this is used for installing from the CD*

Take out CD1 and put CD2 into the drive locate CD2 as shown above choose All Files and open up MafiaGame folder. Place all files from this folder into your created Mafia folder.

For CD3 the only files you need are the three which are in the MafiaGame folder of that CD.. You donot need to put the DirectX or the EAX3 folders in.

Here is what your new folder should look like with contents
(note I have already put the Mafia folder into C:\ when I took this screenshot)

Next open up My Computer and click on icon

Double-click on your main drive icon (default C:\ ) and *drag and drop* the new Mafia folder from your desktop to C:\ - I never tried dragging
and dropping to C:\Program Files... in case there might be a conflict.

* drag and drop* - simply place the cursor on whatever file/icon etc.
you want and hold down the left button on your mouse. whilst still holding move the mouse and place cursor
within the place you want the file, folder or icon etc to go.. next release mouse button.

Once you have finished, you can make a shortcut for Mafia by right-click on Desktop New/Shortcut when
window pops up click on browse and locate Mafia in C:\Mafia and expand the entire Mafia Folder and click on
game.exe follow the instructions as per-say.

I hope this guide has been of some use to anyone who has not been able to install Mafia by normal procedures.

Some other *possible fixes* for installing Mafia the usual way:

Disable all startup programs in MSCONFIG.. i.e. that is the firewall, antivirus, browser helpers, popup-blockers.

Turn your modem off and have no connection to the internet.

Go to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information and rename it to InstallShield Installation Information(old) then close my computer.

Go to Start/Run and type regedit and click OK

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - MICROSOFT - WINDOWS - CURRENTVERSION - UNINSTALL - MAFIA GAME.. if the Mafia Game folder is there, DELETE IT.

Now try installing the game. The common problem is CD2, you will notice that if you look carefully when
everything is fine the cancel button will look like it has popped up (so you can cancel the installation
should you so wish to) if this does not pop up then that is when the setup is not responding..
(popup meaning it looks like there is a dark thin shadow at the bottom of cancel and to the right. Now
what I did was, as soon as the CD drive had finished loading the 2nd CD I pressed OK and then pressed
the cancel button using the SpaceBar straight away.. if all has gone well it will ask you do you want to
cancel the installation.. well of course you don't so click on the cancel button of that popup and hopefully
the installation should continue.

*The basis of installing Mafia from the original CD's is in allowing your
CD/DVD drive to read the disk first before you click on the OK button..
patience is the order of the day..*

Other things you can do before installing:

Go to C:\Windows and look for the Temp folder.. delete all files in this folder (well as many as it will allow you to)

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp and delete all files in this folder.

As I said these are only *possible fixes*.. so please donot PM me.. if you need help the best thing is to
either contact Take2Games Support via email support_desk@europesupport.com or call them on
0870 124 2222 if you live in the UK other numbers can be found at take2games.com and by clicking on
the appropriate country tabs.. (mind you some of the support contacts may be obsolete and it would now be 2K Games.)

Last edited by Muggy on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276214 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Manual Install of Mafia (tried and tested) Reply with quote

Just done a manual install of Mafia on Windows 7 64bit
and it works. The only thing to remember is to use a
No CD crack (game.exe) to run the game.

I also created a folder in C:\ titled Games so
it would be C:\Games\Mafia
I did not put Mafia into C:\Program Files(86).

Short video of Freeride Small.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: