FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Cutscenes Are Not Playing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PtyIersworId

132 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

I haven't noticed this until just recently, but I went to go record video of Mafia for an upcoming walkthrough for my channel to introduce my viewers to the game and showcase the updated graphics I installed for the game, and for some reason the intro videos and logos that usually pop up didn't show up. I didn't think much of it, I thought "oh, well maybe i accidently skipped them or something". But I clicked on "Intro" on the starting menu for the game to record it, and the game skipped the entire Intro cutscene right to the part where Tommy is walking into the pub to meet Detective Norman (which is rendered in videogame graphics, not a cutscene). After restarting the game like 5 times to try and get the intro videos, and trying to play the Intro cutscene again, I became aware that the copy of the game I have is not playing any video files at all. That will not work, because I can't record the game without cutscenes. I've run the game with cutscenes before, but I don't know why they won't work know, where to find them, or what I can do to turn them back on. Can I please get some technical assistance?
Mr Robville

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

255850 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

Your computer is likely missing some video codecs. To make sure, go to your Mafia installation folder. In there you can find logo1.avi, logo2.avi and intro.avi.
If you open them in Media Player you only hear sounds, no images.

Firstly, try to install VLC media player to see if it makes a difference:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If that doesn't work you need to install an AVI codec pack.

I haven't tried the following link myself, but it seems you can download an AVI codec pack here:
http://download.cnet.com/AVI-Codec-Pack-Pro/3000-2140_4-10509745.html
Because I haven't checked it, be careful you don't install any stupid toolbars or other random bloatware and nonsense that may be included within the installer. To prevent this, do not spam the "Next" button during installation. Wink

After the codecs are installed, reboot your computer and try to run the game.

www.Robville.net
PtyIersworId

132 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

I checked the files you mentioned in the Mafia folder, and they actually turned out to be BINK video files (.bik). I'm going to try to download a codec pack to see if it actually fixes it, but I still don't understand why when I played the game 2 months ago, they played just fine, and now suddenly there's a problem.

I can't seem to find a codec anywhere by itself. -_- i don't know what to do. Some website told me to download RadTools to fix it, but that didn't help.
Hunter

2156 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

No, the codec comes with the game. It likely has to do with your changes. As for why that would matter, I don't see why - I only know that it worked, you made changes, now it works not.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276948 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

Ah this old chestnut.

Not sure if this may help but you could try getting
the indeo codecs and installing them. I think the
version that Mafia ran best on for the cut-scenes
was v5.11. http://www.free-codecs.com/Indeo_Codec_download.htm

PtyIersworId

132 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

Nope. Apparently didn't help. That's like the third time I've tried a codec pack to get it to play, but it didn't help. I also went ahead and deleted the file association with .bik in Registry Editor to see if that would help (it didn't). Is there a file in the Mafia folder that triggers the cutscenes to play? Maybe I accidently deleted it or something. I'm tempted to just film the game without those videos and just edit them in later in Sony Vegas or something.
Muggy

Site Staff
Site Staff

276948 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

Videos or cutscenes will end in .bik so look for those
in the game folder.

PtyIersworId

132 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

I understand that, and they are there, but they are not playing though. I was referring to the files that call up the video files to play, not the files themselves. The video segments themselves are fine, I tested them on a video player that supports .bik files. So logically, this means that there is a problem with the part of the game that cues the files, and not with the files themselves.
Hunter

2156 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Cutscenes Are Not Playing Reply with quote

By the way, the introduction is AVI. Don't tell me you lost that codec too. Sarcastic

The way to find this probem is to reinstall, and recheck the changes you make - I don't see how any textures will break the videos, but there must be something that happened.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Mafia I Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: