FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visit View your posts View unanswered posts

Monitor Upgrade Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

I am looking to upgrade my monitor for my gaming PC.
My current monitor is 19" and has a 1440x900 resolution.
The one I am thinking of getting is 24" and has a 1920x1080 resolution.
My graphics card is a GTX 660.

I have run a benchmark using my current monitor and a 1920x1080 TV to test the frame rate difference between the two resolutions, the results were;

Current Monitor (1440x900), average FPS = 43.4
TV with same resolution as new monitor, average FPS = 29.7

That's quite a difference and will probably be the difference between running new games well on Ultra settings and not.

I am now not sure whether to upgrade because it sort of defeats the point of getting the new monitor for games to look better, if the FPS's are so low that I have to turn the graphics down to run them.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Ventilator

Mafiascene Veteran Modder
Mafiascene Veteran Modder

1254 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

I dont know how you did your benchmarking.
As far as i know a Monitor has no influence on the framerate of games.

The graphics adapter is most important for a high framerate.
A GTX 660 is a very good graphics adapter.

My monitor is a Samsung syncmaster 27" its a combination of Tv and Monitor
the resolution is 1920 x 1080. I connectet it with HDMI cable.
Im very satisfied with this TV / Monitor
My grapics card is a Nvidia GTX 650.

I don't have any problems with slow framrates.

Best Regards

V3NT1L4T0R
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Ventilator.

I used Valley Benchmark 1.0.

I saw that it does because the card has to produce more pixels for the monitor. Here is an example: http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2041964.html

With a 1440x900 resolution monitor the GPU only has to produce 1296000 pixels of data.

Whereas with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor, the graphics card has to produce 2073600 pixels of data. Which isn't far from it having to produce double the data.

Seems to have a great effect on the FPS Sad
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1268 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

I'm not too much into technical stuff when it comes to monitors, but I have a 1920x1080 Samsung SyncMaster P2250 and in 3 years I haven't noticed anything I wouldn't like. I just love this screen.

So yeah, if you're looking for a new monitor, Samsung screens may be the thing to look for. The monitor itself does not affect your framerate, resolution, however, does.

If you play the same game at 1440x900 on any of those two (1440x900 and 1920x1080) monitors, your FPS will be identical. However, if you want to play that game on the bigger monitor and push the screen to its limits, this means you have to set the resolution to 1920x1080. And higher resolution is what causes the framerate to drop.
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Linukkis. I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/monitors-and-projectors/pc-monitors/acer-s240hlbid-full-hd-24-led-monitor-21433233-pdt.html

The problem I was thinking of is that when I played Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 on Ultra settings, It just about run at 30-35ish FPS, and with the difference of the higher resolution, that means that those games and any of similar specs in the future will be unplayable at ultra settings with the new one Crying Thinking

Is it true that at higher resolutions AA doesn't need to be as high because of the higher amount of pixels and you won't notice it?
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1268 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

Yes, it's mostly true. The thing you notice with higher anti-aliasing levels is smooth edges of objects.

When you set higher resolution, however, lack of anti-aliasing is compensated. This doesn't mean that anti-aliasing makes no further effect, it definitely does, it's just that you won't see such a big difference than playing on 1440x900 for example. I hope this helps, sorry for explaining so... not professionally Laughing
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply linukkis, it was very helpful to me. Smile

What game are those screenshots from? Laughing
linukkis

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

1268 Bank Notes
Items
more...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

Anytime, John, glad it helped Smile

I found that pic in google images Laughing But I think it's called FPS Terminator
MurderInc

73 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

I game on a Dell u2411 (1900x1200) with a GTX570 and a Q9650.

Just turn your detail down, you'll be fine. If you're that serious about gaming you probably want a 120Hz screen. But that means better CPU and GFX card anyway (probably two cards).
Johncena1

169 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Monitor Upgrade Question Reply with quote

MurderInc wrote:
I game on a Dell u2411 (1900x1200) with a GTX570 and a Q9650.

Just turn your detail down, you'll be fine. If you're that serious about gaming you probably want a 120Hz screen. But that means better CPU and GFX card anyway (probably two cards).

Nice! Na i'm not worried about frame rate as long as it doesn't lag.

I just realized my motherboard can't do sli D: Always thought it could. It only does crossfire Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: