FAQFAQ    Board RulesBoard Rules    SearchSearch    LotteryLottery    RouletteRoulette    UsergroupsUsergroups
     RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Shop    Log inLog in 
View posts since last visitView your postsView unanswered posts

Why is this door opening like this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsaSK

Mafiascene Veteran Modder

13729 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

Hi all, in DC||ED I imported a .DNC of a door from another mission into my own custom mission and renamed it after the door in my mission.
But now for some reason the door opens, but on a bizaare middle axis (it swivels in the middle instead of at the side) and no matter what property of the door I fiddle with in DC||ED it still swivels in the middle! Impossible

It's really doing my nut in.. can anybody help?

Much appreciated, thanks guys.

The official Mafioso Mod thread
Mr Robville

255861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

I cannot view the video from this particular computer but my guess is that it's acting like a revolving door because the object's axis center is not placed correctly.

In zmodeler, make sure the object's axis is placed in the absolute center of the modelling workspace and that the geometry is placed according to the image above. If you move the geometry using pointmode instead of object mode you can let the axis stay on it's position.

Hope this helped.

www.robville.net
AsaSK

13729 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

The only trouble is Rob, it's part of the building model it's attached to, and that building I built off the model 'newdum4D' which is used in mission 4 (and the door works perfectly in the original model).

In other words, are you saying that when I moved the whole building on multiple axis in MAX to edit it I also threw the door out of it's correct axis position?

Mr Robville

255861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

It must be done in Zmodeler because Zmod automatically realligns object's axes when importing.
I'm still a bit confused how a moving door can be a child of a building parent object. I thought door scripts could only apply to whole models instead of child objects inside it. But I guess I need to watch your video tonight when I'm home again to get a better picture.

Perhaps you could send me your model to me so I can take a look at it.

www.robville.net
AsaSK

13729 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

Ok I will send it to you this very evening, much obliged.

And yes, doors in the scene2 can be defined from parts of a bigger model, as long as they are detached and not just faces belonging to the sae part of the model. I had to detach the door in MAX and define it as: "Bar.Door".

Mr Robville

255861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

whow I never knew that. This is gonna save hours and hours of work for the Titanic mod! as I really did not look forward to placing hundreds of doors. in the editor. Positioning them etc.

www.robville.net
MatteoCapoletti

1017 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

I've run into that several times, and monkeyed with the door settings in DC||ED and still had no luck.

I ran into this in the bank mission alot,

My solution was simply remove the door and replace it with a new door.

For glass doors I use the door out of the Italian Garden Bar (which has a bit of a skew to it) for solid doors I resurface the fmvvincedoorout.i3d (close to that anyway) with whatever door map I want and then install it in the mission at the appropriate places

"...and then I remembered some doors should never be opened" ;o)
Mr Robville

255861 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

I made this animation for you guys with a brief discription below. I hope it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-foT_4JiX3o&feature=youtu.be

It's even in HD in case you can't see the details Cool shades

www.robville.net
MatteoCapoletti

1017 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

Nice....thank you!
AsaSK

13729 Bank Notes
Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Why is this door opening like this? Reply with quote

Just trying to figure it out now Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mafiascene.com Forum Index -> Ask a Modder - Tools All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: